New PC build vs GPU upgrade only

Posted 17th Jul 2020
Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my PC as it is now struggling to run new or recent titles at acceptable quality / fps.

This is my config:

- Gigabyte Z97P-D3
- Intel Core i5 4590
- Palit NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB
- 8GB DDR3 1600mhz (1x8GB)
- Crucial MX500 1TB
- 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
- Wireless 802.11N 150Mbps PCI-E card
- Corsair Carbide SPEC-01 Midi-Tower
- 550W Corsair VS

I'm wondering if I could just upgrade the GPU (either get a 2060 Super if I find a good price, or wait for 3060) or if I should upgrade motherboard / CPU / RAM / GPU altogether (looking to keep SSD / HDD / Case and power supply).

Am I right i saying that if I want to upgrade the CPU, I'll also need to upgrade the motherboard and RAM anyway? And does DDR4 actually matter much vs DDR3 for gaming?

Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Since the i5 is a 4th gen and thats currently 6 generations old, i would bite the bullet and do a major upgrade. If it was me, i'd
Jump to an AMD Ryzen (not had any experience with them but everyone raves them above intel, and im stuck with an i9 for now), new motherboard, 16GB DDR4 RAM and wait for the RTX 30xx Nvidia cards.

DDR3 isnt supported by any of the current CPUs and hasnt been for a while i'm afraid.
But yeh keep the SSD/HDD. your PSU is a low end PSU, it might be ok, but dont go putting a high end GPU in it else i think it might become unstable.
118luke17/07/2020 10:19

Since the i5 is a 4th gen and thats currently 6 generations old, i would …Since the i5 is a 4th gen and thats currently 6 generations old, i would bite the bullet and do a major upgrade. If it was me, i'dJump to an AMD Ryzen (not had any experience with them but everyone raves them above intel, and im stuck with an i9 for now), new motherboard, 16GB DDR4 RAM and wait for the RTX 30xx Nvidia cards. DDR3 isnt supported by any of the current CPUs and hasnt been for a while i'm afraid. But yeh keep the SSD/HDD. your PSU is a low end PSU, it might be ok, but dont go putting a high end GPU in it else i think it might become unstable.

Exactly my thinking. I'm on the same 4th gen i5 with 16GB of DDR3, which is bottlenecking my R390X. I'm going to wait and see what the next gen releases bring - Nvidia Ampere and AMD Big Navi are about to fight for the GPU crown in the coming months (at a price point to make me squirm probably). The CPU battle is a bit of a no-brainer at the moment with the AMD chips offering better bang for gaming buck, but again, there's a new wave just around the corner (likely Q12021?).
Whenever you bite the bullet, be prepared to have just bought too soon as there there's always something newer and shinier that gives a little more performance or polish.

It may seem silly, but I'm reluctant to buy a pre-built system as there's a fantastic 1000WPSU in my current build (probably the only thing I'll keep) which I'd like to make use of in a new system. Maybe I'll do a self-build after all.
Eww, single channel memory.

DDR3 and DDR4 have similar bandwidth at the same rating so DDR4-2666 gives you around 50% more memory bandwidth, but by not running dual channel you've halved it again so you're not running 2/3 of the bandwidth of current systems but 1/3 which is a much bigger drop.

I haven't seen any tests, but I'd imagine you're getting towards the point of memory bandwidth where it affects more than the top percentile of the most demanding frames.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 17th Jul
What are you playing on eg 4K or 1080p monitor/tv is it more than 60Hz or not?

if you are only playing @ 1080p 60fps just stick a new gpu in machine you don’t need anything else for that spec gaming, that way you can upgrade the rest later as you already have new gpu. Not such a big outlay straight off. But only you can decide... is a new cpu going to give you extra frames yes but if your limited by what you watching it on no point..
I would just get another 8GB of RAM for now. You not only get the benefits of Dual Channel memory but 8GB RAM is pretty much the bare minimum for a lot of games. You will encounter a lot of stuttering if the game has to constantly use your HDD instead of RAM.
I was in a similar situation, except I've been gaming on an ancient i3-2120 with a 1060 6GB GPU. Was going through exactly the same thought process, until my son decided he wanted a PC too, which made up my mind to buy a fully pre-built system for me, and a similar rig but with GPU for him. Had a look round AWD-IT, Palicomp, CCL etc and settled on Palicomp who put together a Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB 3200mz RAM, 1066 Super PC. My son has the same but will have the 1060 from my old system.

Got the PC on Weds, and have so far only downloaded Just Cause 4 as I thought it would be a good test. All I can say is that with the settings right up it is buttery smooth But we're only playing in 1080p currently.

At the end of the day, I think it's down to budget. A 2060 is going to set you back about £300, a pre-built system like mine is more like £750-800 depending on what other extras like PSU, case etc etc you put in there.
Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated.

For info I'm playing 1080p and my monitor is 60hz ultrawide (not sure how much that matters but I think it is a bit more taxing than 16:9).
I'm quite keen to get in VR in the near future, and would like to have the capacity to play 1440p (and potentially over 60fps) if/when I want to upgrade my screen in the next couple of years.

From the replies I have a couple of options (and questions)
1/ add another 8GB RAM, am I right that I need to get the exact same type of RAM, i.e. brand, speed, etc...
2/ upgrade GPU only (now or maybe in a couple of months when the RTX30xx are here) and upgrade everything else later - in that case is it worth adding another 8GB RAM now as it's relatively cheap to postpone the full upgrade a bit more (now wondering if that's the main reason for stuttering in some recent games like WRC8)
3/ full upgrade (which I'd like to -try to anyway- build myself) in which case from what I've gathered could something like that, would appreciate your thoughts:
- AMD B450 Gaming
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600
- RTX2060 Super (or new RTX)
- DDR4 2 * 8GB 3200 MHZ
- Corsair RM750x
(+ keep my case / SSD / HDD, and probably upgrade the wifi card)
Get the RAM for now to tide you over you could even keep an eye out for a cheap i7 4700k. The CPU will be more of a risk and cost.

Then once Ryzen 4000 series is out either buy into that or snap up cheaper 3600 CPU and AM4 B450 boards.

While others will object. Adding RAM doesn’t have to be identical. Preferable but 95% of the time ok to do. For most the worst that happens is it all runs at whichever is the lower spec RAM. So a 1600 & 1333MHz stick will both run at 1333 and it’s slacker timings.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 17th Jul
Oneday7717/07/2020 15:23

Get the RAM for now to tide you over you could even keep an eye out for a …Get the RAM for now to tide you over you could even keep an eye out for a cheap i7 4700k. The CPU will be more of a risk and cost. Then once Ryzen 4000 series is out either buy into that or snap up cheaper 3600 CPU and AM4 B450 boards.While others will object. Adding RAM doesn’t have to be identical. Preferable but 95% of the time ok to do. For most the worst that happens is it all runs at whichever is the lower spec RAM. So a 1600 & 1333MHz stick will both run at 1333 and it’s slacker timings.

noted, thanks for your help
Fit the GPU that you were going to buy for the new pc build.

If that doesn't do the trick, continue with the pc build.
Waddle8417/07/2020 14:53

Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated.For info I'm playing 1080p …Thank you all for the replies, much appreciated.For info I'm playing 1080p and my monitor is 60hz ultrawide (not sure how much that matters but I think it is a bit more taxing than 16:9).I'm quite keen to get in VR in the near future, and would like to have the capacity to play 1440p (and potentially over 60fps) if/when I want to upgrade my screen in the next couple of years.From the replies I have a couple of options (and questions)1/ add another 8GB RAM, am I right that I need to get the exact same type of RAM, i.e. brand, speed, etc... 2/ upgrade GPU only (now or maybe in a couple of months when the RTX30xx are here) and upgrade everything else later - in that case is it worth adding another 8GB RAM now as it's relatively cheap to postpone the full upgrade a bit more (now wondering if that's the main reason for stuttering in some recent games like WRC8)3/ full upgrade (which I'd like to -try to anyway- build myself) in which case from what I've gathered could something like that, would appreciate your thoughts: - AMD B450 Gaming - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - RTX2060 Super (or new RTX)- DDR4 2 * 8GB 3200 MHZ- Corsair RM750x(+ keep my case / SSD / HDD, and probably upgrade the wifi card)

5700Xt not 2060
GTX1060 6gb just get that, job done
Post a comment
@
    Text