Groups

New PC Rig - Bottleneck advice wanted

Hi all,

I'm just awaiting delivery of a new PC rig, and wanted to ask a quick question.

It's coming with a QC 8200 processor, 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ mem and an ATI HD 4850.

I'm tempted to sell the 4850 and replace with a 4890, but will the performance of the GFX card be bottlenecked by the rest of the system.??

Cheers in advance.

Jin

8 Comments

No not at all, leave it as it is, if anything the first bottle neck will be the HD as always, second will be the CPU bus speed.

What are you using it for? If for gaming it would make sense to change the graphics card

Original Poster

Some FPS'ing and RPGs mainly for gaming, but not too bothered about maxing things out just yet.

The HDD is a 750gb 7200rpm with 16mb cache.

The only reason i ask is i've seem some benchmarking on the 4890 and it blows the one I have away. Though if mine will be up to the task (below max settings) i might just hang on and save some ££'s till pricings come down.

I'm not been funny but if you bought a purpose built rig why did you not specify a crossfire motherboard then you could have added an extra GPU at a later date.

GAVINLEWISHUKD;5378514

I'm not been funny but if you bought a purpose built rig why did you not … I'm not been funny but if you bought a purpose built rig why did you not specify a crossfire motherboard then you could have added an extra GPU at a later date.

What do you mean? Most mobos are crossfire anyway?

Change it, I would for what its worth, if you are gaming, depending on the brand of 4850, I might have it off you

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD;5378514

I'm not been funny but if you bought a purpose built rig why did you not … I'm not been funny but if you bought a purpose built rig why did you not specify a crossfire motherboard then you could have added an extra GPU at a later date.

It's a dell build that i managed to pick up for a very reasonable price.
    The major gaming builds were a tad too much for my budget.

Not sure on the brand of card yet though, but will defo keep you in mind if i find a decent gfx update before it turns up.
    The delivery date was for tomorrow, then they shifted the estimated date back to the 15th. Grrr.

Compare the benchmarks using the charts on ]Toms Hardware or similar for the screen resolution you will be using - high-end cards are often only significantly better at very high resolutions and if your not going to use them then its pointless upgrading. Also as its a Dell you would be wise to make sure that adequate power (and connectors) is going to be available for an upgrade...

Save the money, the 4850 is more than powerful enough for most games currently - assuming you're not using a 30" monitor.

Original Poster

just the 23" for me
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941357
      2. Heads-Up / Reminder - How to avoid using PayPal's own conversion rates :{22
      3. Fakespot.com Amazon fake review detector.710
      4. Show us your Photos 2017. September's Theme - 'Earth, Wind & Fire'32454

See more discussions