New phone

Found 17th Apr
My wife is on the lookout for a new phone mainly a upgrade on a iPhone 5 which is very slow and has now started freezing occasionally.
Looking for something on the cheap as it will be on a pay as you go sim.
We have looked at the Samsung J3 or the J5 does anyone know if they are any good and would they be faster than the iPhone 5?
Any recommendations would be brilliant, thank you
Community Updates
AskPhones
6 Comments
The J3 is certainly a big step from your iPhone 5. It has more RAM at 2GB versus 1 for the iPhone 5, and the CPU is faster, a 1.4GHz quad core versus 1.3GHz dual core for the iPhone 5. Not the fastest thing in the world, but then it depends on your budget.

There should be other Androids from the likes of Motorola for a similar price to the Samsung.

The advantage to the slightly cheaper Motorola Moto G5 at £140 versus £150 for the Samsung Galaxy J3 is that the CPU is octa core and the Motorola phones have a more stock Android.

What happens is that Samsung, LG, Huawei etc take the stock Android OS from Google and then on top customise it with their own UX and apps. For example, adding an extra browser called Samsung Internet. This therefore means that you can lose 10 or so GB of space even before you've added your own stuff to your phone.

Motorola however, like to keep Android more stock like it is from Google, and will only add a few of their own apps, which means you don't lose as much space with the OS. Another advantage to the Moto G5 over Galaxy J3.

Motorola are not the only manufacturer who like to keep the OS more stock.

carphonewarehouse.com/motorola/moto-g5.deal.html?cid=PAIDSEARCH_Google_1013640192_48607063343_pla-410329280602&gclid=Cj0KCQjwttbWBRDyARIsAN8zhbIFDB3q1Jz7jvwnbCHLVGddnQGi66AwwizgzBG6m81Et_8jX-w8mwQaAjphEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds!propsId=20634915

Having previously owned an Apple iPhone, I still prefer the Android handsets. The major advantage to the iPhone is that the issue of losing space is not so much of a problem because iOS is exclusive to Apple, whereas Android is used by a variety of manufacturers.

The cost of the Android handsets and iPhones is not really comparable, unless you are looking at the flagship Galaxy S9 and iPhone X, both of which will set you back £700-£1000 SIM free.

If your wife was pretty set on sticking with Apple, I would recommend looking at a refurbished iPhone from music magpie.
Edited by: "bev1505" 17th Apr
It depends if she wants to stay with iOS or is happy moving to Android. If it's the former, then have a look at some of the iPhone SE deals that get posted here, or a 6S if she want something a bit bigger. The SE is a newer model and I believe the battery issues aren't such a problem, although I'm not 100% on that.

You can't really compare specs of Apple vs Android phones as iOS is optimised to run a lot more efficiently than most Android phones as like bev has said, most phone manufacturers add their own stuff onto Android and these can all cause performance issues. If you don't mind switching to Android, there's all sorts of phones from all sorts of manufacturers around, but I'm not in a position to tell you what's best as I haven't used an Android phone - I've been on iOS since 2009 and have no intention of switching, although the new Huawei P20 Pro is certainly tempting for the camera.
If iOS, see which older iPhone flagship you can get for cheap. Or try the SE as has been said.

If you don't mind trying android, I think Honor 9 lite/Huawei 7x/Xiaomi mi A1/Nokia 6 2018 would be better than the Samsung's in the same price bracket. The Xiaomi mi A1 and the new Nokia phones are part of android one, which means they are guaranteed major software updates for 2 years and security updates for 3 years, which is pretty good.
Edited by: "RadiantDuck" 17th Apr
bev15052 h, 2 m ago

The J3 is certainly a big step from your iPhone 5. It has more RAM at 2GB …The J3 is certainly a big step from your iPhone 5. It has more RAM at 2GB versus 1 for the iPhone 5, and the CPU is faster, a 1.4GHz quad core versus 1.3GHz dual core for the iPhone 5. Not the fastest thing in the world, but then it depends on your budget. There should be other Androids from the likes of Motorola for a similar price to the Samsung.The advantage to the slightly cheaper Motorola Moto G5 at £140 versus £150 for the Samsung Galaxy J3 is that the CPU is octa core and the Motorola phones have a more stock Android. What happens is that Samsung, LG, Huawei etc take the stock Android OS from Google and then on top customise it with their own UX and apps. For example, adding an extra browser called Samsung Internet. This therefore means that you can lose 10 or so GB of space even before you've added your own stuff to your phone. Motorola however, like to keep Android more stock like it is from Google, and will only add a few of their own apps, which means you don't lose as much space with the OS. Another advantage to the Moto G5 over Galaxy J3.Motorola are not the only manufacturer who like to keep the OS more stock. carphonewarehouse.com/motorola/moto-g5.deal.html?cid=PAIDSEARCH_Google_1013640192_48607063343_pla-410329280602&gclid=Cj0KCQjwttbWBRDyARIsAN8zhbIFDB3q1Jz7jvwnbCHLVGddnQGi66AwwizgzBG6m81Et_8jX-w8mwQaAjphEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds!propsId=20634915Having previously owned an Apple iPhone, I still prefer the Android handsets. The major advantage to the iPhone is that the issue of losing space is not so much of a problem because iOS is exclusive to Apple, whereas Android is used by a variety of manufacturers. The cost of the Android handsets and iPhones is not really comparable, unless you are looking at the flagship Galaxy S9 and iPhone X, both of which will set you back £700-£1000 SIM free. If your wife was pretty set on sticking with Apple, I would recommend looking at a refurbished iPhone from music magpie.

Your first statements are mis-leading. Core count and frequency are only comparable when comparing the same core architecture.

You'll find a dual core Apple chip will vastly outperform a quad core snapdragon chip, for example.

IOS is also generally well optimised so I wouldnt be surprised if the J3 is slower than the iPhone 5 in day to day use.
I'm chuffed with huawei p8 lite £129

Have you tried a factory reset. That sometimes speeds things up.
Thanks for the replies!
It wouldn’t matter about moving to Android if the phone was better and performance was better.
I’m going to try and give it a reset this evening and see if it speeds up slightly, also there may be too many apps on it so will give the storage a check.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants