new pi3 setup

Posted 25th Feb
Looking to setup a new pi3+, only going to be used for retropie. do I need heat sink or fan, also whats the best image to download so I've got most game systems and roms ready to play, mainly interested in mame, snes,genesis. what size card will I need and whats the best game controller to buy. looking for easy plug and play setup.sorry for all the question.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

42 Comments
Best to search on Youtube, there are loads of videos on this sort of thing from decent channels like LGR and Explaining Computers
James250525/02/2020 10:58

Best to search on Youtube, there are loads of videos on this sort of thing …Best to search on Youtube, there are loads of videos on this sort of thing from decent channels like LGR and Explaining Computers

thanks, although there is so much information sometimes its better to get first hand experience.
hackerace25/02/2020 11:05

thanks, although there is so much information sometimes its better to get …thanks, although there is so much information sometimes its better to get first hand experience.

Well from my experience of the Pi you definitely need heatsinks at least, it is silly that it doesn't come with any. But on the Explaining Computers channel the guy puts different cooling solutions to the test and shows you how much of a difference they make
James250525/02/2020 11:16

Well from my experience of the Pi you definitely need heatsinks at least, …Well from my experience of the Pi you definitely need heatsinks at least, it is silly that it doesn't come with any. But on the Explaining Computers channel the guy puts different cooling solutions to the test and shows you how much of a difference they make

I've had conflicting evidence, some say its not necessary so not sure?
I would advise getting a case from retroflag.com/ (what ever design you like) and then adding some heat sinks. Often the cases are bundled with heat sinks.

Then grab an image from someone like Virtual Man youtube.com/use…eos - The one you choose will depend heavily on what size of SD card you buy.

Another tip is to watch what SD card you purchase as makes like Integral lie about the max capacity, stick to the likes of SanDisk and Samsung.
Edited by: "Gormond" 25th Feb
Gormond25/02/2020 11:29

I would advise getting a case from http://retroflag.com/ (what ever design …I would advise getting a case from http://retroflag.com/ (what ever design you like) and then adding some heat sinks. Often the cases are bundled with heat sinks.Then grab an image from someone like Virtual Man https://www.youtube.com/user/VirtualMan007/videos - The one you choose will depend heavily on what size of SD card you buy.Another tip is to watch what SD card you purchase as makes like Integral lie about the max capacity, stick to the likes of SanDisk and Samsung.

thanks I will have a look.
Ideally you want a heatsink. They are only about a quid though.

Controller you want a wireless xbox 360 controller with a pc usb adapter. Or if you have a xbox one just use the controller off that but for ease of use it will have to be wired with a micro usb to usb lead because the bluetooth drivers are a pain to set up. It's plug and play with the lead and the wireless 360 controller is plug and play with the pc usb adapter.

As for an image you are probably looking at the

400GB VIRTUALMAN PLAYBOX! v4.4.5.3 RETRO-BLISS-TWEAK EDITION for Raspberry PI3A, 3B, 3B+

or for choice of systems its

[400gb]-King.Royal.Pi.3b.3b+.Retropie-DZ

You can just burn them onto a 2.5" hard drive and shove it in an external case and plug it into the pi.

Just make sure you have a decent psu and depending on how power hungry the drive is it may need a usb Y splitter.

If you prefer the micro sd route i've about 7 images dotted around on cards so i can take a look to see what's best. The problem using micro sd cards is the image makers cram the image full so sometimes with different cards a 32gb image wont fit on a 32gb card. If you do go the card route just to keep it simple it might be worth going 1 size up so put a 32gb image on a 64gb card etc.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 25th Feb
m1keyp1key25/02/2020 13:20

Ideally you want a heatsink. They are only about a quid though. Controller …Ideally you want a heatsink. They are only about a quid though. Controller you want a wireless xbox 360 controller with a pc usb adapter. Or if you have a xbox one just use the controller off that but for ease of use it will have to be wired with a micro usb to usb lead.As for an image you are probably looking at the 400GB VIRTUALMAN PLAYBOX! v4.4.5.3 RETRO-BLISS-TWEAK EDITION for Raspberry PI3A, 3B, 3B+or for choice of systems its [400gb]-King.Royal.Pi.3b.3b+.Retropie-DZ You can just burn them onto a 2.5" hard drive and shove it in an external case and plug it into the pi. Just make sure you have a decent psu and depending on how power hungry the drive is it may need a usb Y splitter.

thanks for that, regarding the images, will I need a basic retropie setup on sd card first or can I burn these images to usb stick and plug and play, would sort if size media is needed?
hackerace25/02/2020 13:24

thanks for that, regarding the images, will I need a basic retropie setup …thanks for that, regarding the images, will I need a basic retropie setup on sd card first or can I burn these images to usb stick and plug and play, would sort if size media is needed?

Blank micro sd / hard drive. Everything you need is on the image.

500gb 2.5" drives are what i use mostly, just because the 2 images that i mentioned have just about everything on them.

You can probably get away with 32 or 64gb image if you dont want some of the new consoles on it.
These are some of the smaller images i have on micro sd

128GB DARISH ZONE OMEGA - GREAT SELECTION OF SYSTEMS

[32gb]-NEON.Playbox.Retropie-DZ - 8 & 16 BIT HOME COMPUTERS

Galisteo_Cobaltov3_32GB(DragonBlaze_V6.1) - SCROLLS VERY FAST

[16gb]-Artcade.Recalbox-DZ - ARCADE ONLY
m1keyp1key25/02/2020 13:30

These are some of the smaller images i have on micro sd 128GB DARISH ZONE …These are some of the smaller images i have on micro sd 128GB DARISH ZONE OMEGA - GREAT SELECTION OF SYSTEMS[32gb]-NEON.Playbox.Retropie-DZ - 8 & 16 BIT HOME COMPUTERSGalisteo_Cobaltov3_32GB(DragonBlaze_V6.1) - SCROLLS VERY FAST[16gb]-Artcade.Recalbox-DZ - ARCADE ONLY

m1keyp1key25/02/2020 13:28

Blank micro sd / hard drive. Everything you need is on the image. 500gb …Blank micro sd / hard drive. Everything you need is on the image. 500gb 2.5" drives are what i use mostly, just because the 2 images that i mentioned have just about everything on them. You can probably get away with 32 or 64gb image if you dont want some of the new consoles on it.

Sorry just regarding the setup , will I first need to put retropie on sd card to load it up, or can I Stick it on any usb media?
I've got a few usb's lying around so I could try them first. Is it just a case on extracting the image on usb and boot it up or is there anything else needed. Do you know of a decent image that's no too big. so say I wanted mame,snes,genesis, does it support dreamcast and n64 roms are will these be too big to fit on usb?
m1keyp1key25/02/2020 13:20

If you do go the card route just to keep it simple it might be worth going …If you do go the card route just to keep it simple it might be worth going 1 size up so put a 32gb image on a 64gb card etc.

I think Virtual Man says he tests his images on Samsung and Sandisk cards, so if you go down that route I would stick to those.

I currently use a Samsung 256GB Evo Plus and havent had any problems with it.
hackerace25/02/2020 13:36

Sorry just regarding the setup , will I first need to put retropie on sd …Sorry just regarding the setup , will I first need to put retropie on sd card to load it up, or can I Stick it on any usb media?I've got a few usb's lying around so I could try them first. Is it just a case on extracting the image on usb and boot it up or is there anything else needed. Do you know of a decent image that's no too big. so say I wanted mame,snes,genesis, does it support dreamcast and n64 roms are will these be too big to fit on usb?

No, i've already answered that. You need a blank micro sd card or hard drive.

No, you can't use usb sticks.

You don't want to be going for a small image and then trying to add roms to it. You want premade images,

If you want 1 image to try first then try the 16gb arcade only one i mentioned.
m1keyp1key25/02/2020 13:42

No, i've already answered that. You need a blank micro sd card or hard …No, i've already answered that. You need a blank micro sd card or hard drive. No, you can't use usb sticks. You don't want to be going for a small image and then trying to add roms to it. You want premade images,If you want 1 image to try first then try the 16gb arcade only one i mentioned.

its just i read somewhere you can load games of usb stick but the basic setup was needed on sd card?
Gormond25/02/2020 13:42

I think Virtual Man says he tests his images on Samsung and Sandisk cards, …I think Virtual Man says he tests his images on Samsung and Sandisk cards, so if you go down that route I would stick to those.I currently use a Samsung 256GB Evo Plus and havent had any problems with it.

The small cards are cheap enough to go 1 size higher on rather than trying to find the exact card he uses as there are so many varients. I save money by using spare laptop drives for alot of images anyway.
hackerace25/02/2020 13:36

Sorry just regarding the setup , will I first need to put retropie on sd …Sorry just regarding the setup , will I first need to put retropie on sd card to load it up, or can I Stick it on any usb media?I've got a few usb's lying around so I could try them first. Is it just a case on extracting the image on usb and boot it up or is there anything else needed. Do you know of a decent image that's no too big. so say I wanted mame,snes,genesis, does it support dreamcast and n64 roms are will these be too big to fit on usb?

Dreamcast and N64 are pretty hit and miss, some of the games work but the majority have issues.
m1keyp1key25/02/2020 13:46

The small cards are cheap enough to go 1 size higher on rather than trying …The small cards are cheap enough to go 1 size higher on rather than trying to find the exact card he uses as there are so many varients. I save money by using spare laptop drives for alot of images anyway.

That's actually a good idea, I didn't think of that.
hackerace25/02/2020 13:45

its just i read somewhere you can load games of usb stick but the basic …its just i read somewhere you can load games of usb stick but the basic setup was needed on sd card?

You've stated you want the easy plug and play option. If you want to start adding your own roms and video snaps etc you're looking at alot of hard work.
Gormond25/02/2020 13:47

That's actually a good idea, I didn't think of that.

Only problem with it is the older images you had to create a micro sd boot card which was a pain as they wont boot from a usb hard drive and i had loads of 2gb microsd cards made for booting my images as each image required copying some data from the hard drive image.. The latest large images are all made to boot direct from the hard drive which saves a load of hassle.
yea sorry for all
m1keyp1key25/02/2020 13:48

You've stated you want the easy plug and play option. If you want to start …You've stated you want the easy plug and play option. If you want to start adding your own roms and video snaps etc you're looking at alot of hard work.

yea sorry for all questions, I though I could use exiting USB media as I don't have any SD cards. I will purchase a 64gb card which should be good to go. one last question , best place to get the image sets, please.
Gormond25/02/2020 13:46

Dreamcast and N64 are pretty hit and miss, some of the games work but the …Dreamcast and N64 are pretty hit and miss, some of the games work but the majority have issues.

If you've a pc i recommend using launchbox / bigbox for anything the pi can't handle. Never could get my head around hyperspin but launchbox is so easy to configure.
m1keyp1key25/02/2020 13:51

Only problem with it is the older images you had to create a micro sd boot …Only problem with it is the older images you had to create a micro sd boot card which was a pain as they wont boot from a usb hard drive and i had loads of 2gb microsd cards made for booting my images as each image required copying some data from the hard drive image.. The latest large images are all made to boot direct from the hard drive which saves a load of hassle.

so you can use USB external hardrive but not Usb Stick?
hackerace25/02/2020 13:52

yea sorry for allyea sorry for all questions, I though I could use exiting …yea sorry for allyea sorry for all questions, I though I could use exiting USB media as I don't have any SD cards. I will purchase a 64gb card which should be good to go. one last question , best place to get the image sets, please.

arcadepunks.com

just make sure the images are 3b+ compatible as there are loads of images on there.
m1keyp1key25/02/2020 13:53

If you've a pc i recommend using launchbox / bigbox for anything the pi …If you've a pc i recommend using launchbox / bigbox for anything the pi can't handle. Never could get my head around hyperspin but launchbox is so easy to configure.

Thanks, will give it a go.
m1keyp1key25/02/2020 13:55

arcadepunks.com just make sure the images are 3b+ compatible as there are …arcadepunks.com just make sure the images are 3b+ compatible as there are loads of images on there.

thanks.
hackerace25/02/2020 13:54

so you can use USB external hardrive but not Usb Stick?

You can use a usb hard drive on the 2 400gb images i mentioned because the image makers built something into it to make it self boot.

On older images you have to

format hard drive to exfat

format sd card via sd formatter

copy image via win32 disk imager to hard drive

copy all files to sd card

edit cmdline.txt on sd card

root=/dev/sda2

then at the end rootdelay=10

save the file

then you have to resize the hard drive as the image will error for being out of space by going into the pi and doing

cp /usr/bin/raspi-config ~

sed -i 's/mmcblk0p/sda/' ~/raspi-config

sed -i 's/mmcblk0/sda/' ~/raspi-config

sudo ~/raspi-config

this was made as a workaround to use hard drives. so i never tried on usb sticks. but as you can see it's a pain which is why i gave you my recommendations of what to do earlier.
Gormond25/02/2020 13:55

Thanks, will give it a go.

Launchbox is free, but upgrading to bigbox isn't. Every year on black friday the guy does a discount if you like launchbox. I got mine a couple of years ago just to support him as he does so many updates and i got a cracking deal for lifetime membership.
m1keyp1key25/02/2020 14:00

You can use a usb hard drive on the 2 400gb images i mentioned because the …You can use a usb hard drive on the 2 400gb images i mentioned because the image makers built something into it to make it self boot. On older images you have to format hard drive to exfatformat sd card via sd formattercopy image via win32 disk imager to hard drivecopy all files to sd cardedit cmdline.txt on sd cardroot=/dev/sda2then at the end rootdelay=10 save the filethen you have to resize the hard drive as the image will error for being out of space by going into the pi and doing cp /usr/bin/raspi-config ~sed -i 's/mmcblk0p/sda/' ~/raspi-configsed -i 's/mmcblk0/sda/' ~/raspi-configsudo ~/raspi-configthis was made as a workaround to use hard drives. so i never tried on usb sticks. but as you can see it's a pain which is why i gave you my recommendations of what to do earlier.

so sd card is the easier option without doing the above. sorry i was looking for whatever is easiestand cheaper option. I might just buy 64gb sd card
hackerace25/02/2020 14:08

so sd card is the easier option without doing the above. sorry i was …so sd card is the easier option without doing the above. sorry i was looking for whatever is easiestand cheaper option. I might just buy 64gb sd card

sd card is much easier unless you're going for one of the 2 400gb images on a 2.5" drive as they are just burn and go.

btw you can only have 1 image per card, same with a hard drive. so dont go buying anything high capacity thinking you can have more than 1 image on it.
m1keyp1key25/02/2020 14:12

sd card is much easier unless you're going for one of the 2 400gb images …sd card is much easier unless you're going for one of the 2 400gb images on a 2.5" drive as they are just burn and go.btw you can only have 1 image per card.

I was thinking something like this for the 2 bigger images. will it be ok, works about same price for 128gb sd card.
ebay.co.uk/itm…Rxm
Edited by: "hackerace" 25th Feb
hackerace25/02/2020 14:14

I was thinking something like this for the 2 bigger images. will it be ok, …I was thinking something like this for the 2 bigger images. will it be ok, works about same price for 128gb sd card.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-500GB-External-Portable-2-5-USB-Hard-Drive-with-Warranty-For-Smart-TVs/231267799878?epid=1061638427&hash=item35d8a29346:g:AckAAOxyUylTWRxm

just get 1 2.5" case and 2 laptop drives......that's if you want both images.

Personally i'd start small. Get say a 64gb micro sd card, download a 16gb image and have a playaround with it.
m1keyp1key25/02/2020 14:17

just get 1 2.5" case and 2 laptop drives......that's if you want both …just get 1 2.5" case and 2 laptop drives......that's if you want both images. Personally i'd start small. Get say a 64gb micro sd card, download a 16gb image and have a playaround with it.

thanks I will try that.
case :-

amazon.co.uk/Ina…8-6

hard drive :-

ebay.co.uk/itm…qup

and a usb Y cable if power is an issue :-

amazon.co.uk/UGR…Q==

you can probably get one similar much cheaper though.

like i say just start small with a micro sd card, get the hang of things and then maybe go for hard drives and bigger images.
This is the xbox 360 wireless windows adapter :-

amazon.co.uk/Off…-10

Should be able to pick one up off ebay really cheap, and sometimes bundled with a 360 wireless controller.
m1keyp1key25/02/2020 14:26

This is the xbox 360 wireless windows adapter …This is the xbox 360 wireless windows adapter :-https://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows/dp/B000MGVAAQ/ref=sr_1_10?crid=24NNCIEQD9RA7&keywords=xbox+360+wireless+adapter&qid=1582640693&sprefix=xbox+360+wi,aps,186&sr=8-10Should be able to pick one up off ebay really cheap, and sometimes bundled with a 360 wireless controller.

I've bagged this one from ebay comes with controllers so I will try them first. Thanks for your help!
ebay.co.uk/itm…649
hackerace25/02/2020 14:32

I've bagged this one from ebay comes with controllers so I will try them …I've bagged this one from ebay comes with controllers so I will try them first. Thanks for your help!https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-Pi-3-model-B-with-game-controllers/124081347545?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649

You realise that's the B and not B+ ?
m1keyp1key25/02/2020 14:39

You realise that's the B and not B+ ?

oh will that make any difference, I havnt paid for it yet, it's only on offer that I made.
Edited by: "hackerace" 25th Feb
hackerace25/02/2020 14:42

oh will that make any difference, I havnt paid for it yet, it's only on …oh will that make any difference, I havnt paid for it yet, it's only on offer that I made.

Not much, i just thought the listing was misleading as he mentioned b+ twice in his description.

I do reckon it's a very poor price for 2nd hand though.Those controllers are just basic £6 jobbies.
m1keyp1key25/02/2020 15:17

Not much, i just thought the listing was misleading as he mentioned b+ …Not much, i just thought the listing was misleading as he mentioned b+ twice in his description. I do reckon it's a very poor price for 2nd hand though.Those controllers are just basic £6 jobbies.

I've managed to get the pi4, 2gb model with case for £36 instead, do you know which images will work on this.
hackerace27/02/2020 09:36

I've managed to get the pi4, 2gb model with case for £36 instead, do you …I've managed to get the pi4, 2gb model with case for £36 instead, do you know which images will work on this.

Not really kept up to date with the pi4 but i think retropie is still yet to have an official release.

Damaso images are usually pretty good so try this one

arcadepunks.com/64g…aso

I do know virtualman is releasing a 512gb pi4 image in April on Easter weekend....... so something to think about for the future as it might be worth getting a 2.5" 1tb drive.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants