New policy regarding deals under 20.00 from Amazon

Found 6th Feb
I have to say first and foremost that i LOVE the site and all the hard work the team put into it... However... this new policy of posts from Amazon that are under 20.00 are edited by the site to show a two-tier pricing system for people that have Amazon Prime and those that don't is just wrong!! at times the price difference between having Prime and not having it can be 25-30% if not more! We all know that orders under 20.00 have delivery payable, however, if i order 2 items and the cost is over 20.00 and i don't have Prime, i will not pay the higher figure that is being stated in these posts. I just feel this is a way to push people to buy Prime, a tie-in between the site and Amazon and it is false. wrong and misleading. For sure, inform people that orders under 20.00 need delivery charges.. but to tell people they will pay more regardless if they don't have Prime is wrong.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
deleted800342
The price should include delivery costs for those without prime, as that is the true cost of the item WITHOUT having to order other items to reach the £20 threshold.

/thread

While we are on the subject of "misleading prices " Is it not time to address the "Chinese websites " so popular on here now - though banned for many years on here .

I have asked for this many times but have always been met with silence from "Admin" -maybe one of the Mods on this thread would like to clarify ?

Purchases from these Chinese websites can often incur import duties and VAT , they are "Grey" imports so have no manufacturers warranty (even Apple products contrary to urban myths ) and have no feasible way of returning if DOA .

Members innocently google an item (Samsung S whatever , I phone X etc ) and which supplier comes up cheapest ? surprise , surprise ! Naïve members not realising this is a grey import and the potential pitfalls . The deal is then posted on here with no warnings so other naïve members vote said deal hot .

Surely all deals from Chinese websites should come with a warning that there is no manufacturers warranty and that VAT and import duty could be charged ?
34 Comments
Agree
The policy isn't new, it was implemented when Amazon introduced delivery charges. If I want to buy an item from Amazon I want to know the price including any delivery costs, not everyone has prime.
The reason is that HUKD/Pepper gets around £12 for every Prime signup, so it makes sense for them to promote the service as best they can.
cuzzy7 m ago

The policy isn't new, it was implemented when Amazon introduced delivery …The policy isn't new, it was implemented when Amazon introduced delivery charges. If I want to buy an item from Amazon I want to know the price including any delivery costs, not everyone has prime.

Actually, i have been posting for years and when Amazon changed the charges the posts did not follow... this for me is something new... my older posts do not show edits by HUKD showing both prices. And my main point is, if i buy 2 items and spend over 20,00 , i will not pay a higher fee just because i don't have Prime... it does not say including delivery... it says for Prime and Non Prime members... this is false advertising.
dxx4 m ago

The reason is that HUKD/Pepper gets around £12 for every Prime signup, so …The reason is that HUKD/Pepper gets around £12 for every Prime signup, so it makes sense for them to promote the service as best they can.

Ahhhhhhhh!!!! That makes sense now. I didn't think they would follow such practices...
peterborough1231 m ago

Ahhhhhhhh!!!! That makes sense now. I didn't think they would follow such …Ahhhhhhhh!!!! That makes sense now. I didn't think they would follow such practices...

This is HUKD we’re talking about
Dolphinzz7 m ago

This is HUKD we’re talking about

This is from the Trading standards website....

2. Regulations that affect advertisingAdvertising to consumersThe Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations mean you can’t mislead or harass consumers by, for example:

• including false or deceptive messages
  • leaving out important information
  • using aggressive sales techniques

The two tier pricing clearly goes against the first two points made in this, i am tempted to refer this to them and get some feedback.
although this is a great site, there are a few things wrong with this site, but this is not one of them.

the fact that the prices are shown with and without prime give people more information than less. Giving people less information than they need is an issue, not the other way round.

prices are quoted including delivery on deals so this is effectively showing the cost with delivery and free delivery for those with prime membership.
Seems Fair. For a long time here, I didn't have Prime and so was useful to know how much each item would cost me.

Yes cheaper for Prime members but they pay £70 a year which I didn't. HUKD if they wanted to, would have adverts to buy
prime through their links. Its more work for the mods as most times, deal posters don't include the non prime price.
They're just two common ways of buying. Not enough room for every kind of permutation.
peterborough12341 m ago

This is from the Trading standards website....2. Regulations that affect …This is from the Trading standards website....2. Regulations that affect advertisingAdvertising to consumersThe Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations mean you can’t mislead or harass consumers by, for example:including false or deceptive messagesleaving out important informationusing aggressive sales techniquesThe two tier pricing clearly goes against the first two points made in this, i am tempted to refer this to them and get some feedback.

It is not two tier pricing. It is a standard price open to all, with prime members able to obtain an extra discount. It is not against the rules in anyway or else supermarkets wouldn’t offer deals for clubcard members or other memberships such a go outdoors.
peterborough1231 h, 2 m ago

Actually, i have been posting for years and when Amazon changed the …Actually, i have been posting for years and when Amazon changed the charges the posts did not follow... this for me is something new... my older posts do not show edits by HUKD showing both prices. And my main point is, if i buy 2 items and spend over 20,00 , i will not pay a higher fee just because i don't have Prime... it does not say including delivery... it says for Prime and Non Prime members... this is false advertising.

mutley137 m ago

although this is a great site, there are a few things wrong with this …although this is a great site, there are a few things wrong with this site, but this is not one of them.the fact that the prices are shown with and without prime give people more information than less. Giving people less information than they need is an issue, not the other way round.prices are quoted including delivery on deals so this is effectively showing the cost with delivery and free delivery for those with prime membership.

I kinda agree with the two tier pricing but also disagree for a totally different reason. The site should have the same rules across the board and not just with one retailer. For example it is HUKD not Hot Mainland England Deals, if they force to show Amazon products with the two tier pricing why not across other retailers why do we not see £14.99 inc P&P (N.Ireland/Scottish islands etc etc £23.99) or (deal N/A outside Mainland). Consistency should be the key, the same with retailers off shore where the price should be amended to include import duties/tax where applicable, rather than the usual "I've never been stung for import duties if you pick xx shipping method etc".
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 6th Feb
not sure what the problem is

if its under twenty quid then:
with prime the price you see is the price you pay
without prime its that price + postage

all deals imo are 'delivered' prices as the product isn't any good if its not delivered is it...

as for the import thing thats basically irrelevant as people are generally ordering to dodge those fees and if people aren't paying them then thats not the price paid.
ofc if you want to work out the import vat/duty for each product posted across each product area then go ahead.
not even the retailers do that so why would hukd?
Hi @peterborough123
This was discussed back in 2015 when it was agreed prices with delivery should be included. You can see the thread here hotukdeals.com/fee…472
Edited by: "andywedge" 6th Feb
I think its similar with many retailers (forgetting about "Prime") . Many retailers have "free postage" on an order totalling ,say , over £30 . Therefore an item costing over £30 can be posted as a deal at the stated price . Whereas an item costing £15 cannot , even though you may well buy 2 (or something else @ £15 ) to take advantage of the free postage .

Sadly too few folks even bother to read the postings - let alone the comments . I'm not a fan of Amazon "Prime " but if you were to buy an item from any other retailer you would check the "Delivery terms" to find out at what level free delivery kicks in - wouldn't you ?
Think you need to look at the site more and this wouldn’t be your main issue, plenty of others out there, “adverts” which have to be adverts aren’t flagged as adverts. sure the site gets paid for each click but there are to many deals from people connected to the site that if they aren’t paid for ads I would be very surprised. Perfect example are the plusnet deals which aren’t on any other site, the heads up deals which could be leaked but...or the last one I saw, a site I never heard of checked it had 40 deals posted all but one is two by people connected to the site. Each mod deal gets hotter quicker than anything around it,It might be a deal and might be hot but...

with delivery though don’t think it makes much difference everyone who uses amazon knows the delivery policy.
rogparki10 m ago

I think its similar with many retailers (forgetting about "Prime") . Many …I think its similar with many retailers (forgetting about "Prime") . Many retailers have "free postage" on an order totalling ,say , over £30 . Therefore an item costing over £30 can be posted as a deal at the stated price . Whereas an item costing £15 cannot , even though you may well buy 2 (or something else @ £15 ) to take advantage of the free postage .Sadly too few folks even bother to read the postings - let alone the comments . I'm not a fan of Amazon "Prime " but if you were to buy an item from any other retailer you would check the "Delivery terms" to find out at what level free delivery kicks in - wouldn't you ?

I would 100%... but i would not offer the item as a cheaper price if i had something like Prime... Prime does not equal postage... Prime is a payable service. Posts should say for example 10.99 plus postage... not 10.99 with Prime and 14.99 without Prime... That clearly implies that only people with Prime will pay the lower price.
dxx1 h, 45 m ago

The reason is that HUKD/Pepper gets around £12 for every Prime signup, so …The reason is that HUKD/Pepper gets around £12 for every Prime signup, so it makes sense for them to promote the service as best they can.

Sorry, you're completely incorrect, we are in no way promoting Prime. Any deal that attracts a delivery fee has this added to the title, regardless of what website it is.
peterborough1231 h, 24 m ago

I would 100%... but i would not offer the item as a cheaper price if i had …I would 100%... but i would not offer the item as a cheaper price if i had something like Prime... Prime does not equal postage... Prime is a payable service. Posts should say for example 10.99 plus postage... not 10.99 with Prime and 14.99 without Prime... That clearly implies that only people with Prime will pay the lower price.

To be honest you often pay extra on the price for "Prime eligible" Take common stuff like batteries , printer cartridges etc . Check the "Prime eligible " prices against non eligible and you will see on most items you are paying £2- £3 extra - so you are still effectively paying for postage despite paying for Prime .
Edited by: "rogparki" 6th Feb
deleted800342
The price should include delivery costs for those without prime, as that is the true cost of the item WITHOUT having to order other items to reach the £20 threshold.

/thread

While we are on the subject of "misleading prices " Is it not time to address the "Chinese websites " so popular on here now - though banned for many years on here .

I have asked for this many times but have always been met with silence from "Admin" -maybe one of the Mods on this thread would like to clarify ?

Purchases from these Chinese websites can often incur import duties and VAT , they are "Grey" imports so have no manufacturers warranty (even Apple products contrary to urban myths ) and have no feasible way of returning if DOA .

Members innocently google an item (Samsung S whatever , I phone X etc ) and which supplier comes up cheapest ? surprise , surprise ! Naïve members not realising this is a grey import and the potential pitfalls . The deal is then posted on here with no warnings so other naïve members vote said deal hot .

Surely all deals from Chinese websites should come with a warning that there is no manufacturers warranty and that VAT and import duty could be charged ?
BeerDrinker17 m ago

Sorry, you're completely incorrect, we are in no way promoting Prime. Any …Sorry, you're completely incorrect, we are in no way promoting Prime. Any deal that attracts a delivery fee has this added to the title, regardless of what website it is.

Not true. Any deal that attracts a delivery fee has the price for postage to the UK Mainland added to the title and not including ant tax's or fees that might be applicable, which currently is treading a very big tax avoidance point of view without a disclaimer. People are keen to jump on the likes of Amazon/Starbucks/insert whoever been on news but at the same time happily post or buy from outside UK and not wish to pay any duties that should be paid.

Again Consistency should be the key.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 6th Feb
rogparki21 m ago

While we are on the subject of "misleading prices " Is it not time to …While we are on the subject of "misleading prices " Is it not time to address the "Chinese websites " so popular on here now - though banned for many years on here .I have asked for this many times but have always been met with silence from "Admin" -maybe one of the Mods on this thread would like to clarify ?Purchases from these Chinese websites can often incur import duties and VAT , they are "Grey" imports so have no manufacturers warranty (even Apple products contrary to urban myths ) and have no feasible way of returning if DOA .Members innocently google an item (Samsung S whatever , I phone X etc ) and which supplier comes up cheapest ? surprise , surprise ! Naïve members not realising this is a grey import and the potential pitfalls . The deal is then posted on here with no warnings so other naïve members vote said deal hot .Surely all deals from Chinese websites should come with a warning that there is no manufacturers warranty and that VAT and import duty could be charged ?

I can agree to a degree with the warranty warning, that and you may get charged extra.
It certainly isn't often (your claim on every Chinese post) I have never been charged and had at least 50 items off gearbest alone last year. I've only had one item not turn up about 18 months ago (disappeared in yodel Leeds depot) Their rep Alice sorted it.
rogparki24 m ago

While we are on the subject of "misleading prices " Is it not time to …While we are on the subject of "misleading prices " Is it not time to address the "Chinese websites " so popular on here now - though banned for many years on here .I have asked for this many times but have always been met with silence from "Admin" -maybe one of the Mods on this thread would like to clarify ?Purchases from these Chinese websites can often incur import duties and VAT , they are "Grey" imports so have no manufacturers warranty (even Apple products contrary to urban myths ) and have no feasible way of returning if DOA .Members innocently google an item (Samsung S whatever , I phone X etc ) and which supplier comes up cheapest ? surprise , surprise ! Naïve members not realising this is a grey import and the potential pitfalls . The deal is then posted on here with no warnings so other naïve members vote said deal hot .Surely all deals from Chinese websites should come with a warning that there is no manufacturers warranty and that VAT and import duty could be charged ?

Maybe all Chinese products should show the original price then the "real price" after all taxes included...
BeerDrinker48 m ago

Sorry, you're completely incorrect, we are in no way promoting Prime. Any …Sorry, you're completely incorrect, we are in no way promoting Prime. Any deal that attracts a delivery fee has this added to the title, regardless of what website it is.

Then, if you are not promoting Prime, why not have as you say you do with all other sites add a delivery charge... by saying "prices with and without Prime" you are not showing delivery... delivery has no connection to Prime... it is just misleading and false. By all means say PLUS DELIVERY because that would be true... but to say price with and without Prime is a barefaced lie. Anyone without Prime can pay the lower amount by spending 20.00... but the posts do not say that, they very clearly say that having Prime makes the item cheaper but it does not. I will actually take this up with trading standards because i have always believed and still do that your site is run in a far superior way to other deal "pages and sites" but this Prime issue makes you look like you are pushing Prime for your own benefit and just misleading people when i am sure that was not the intention.
shadey1216 m ago

I can agree to a degree with the warranty warning, that and you may get …I can agree to a degree with the warranty warning, that and you may get charged extra.It certainly isn't often (your claim on every Chinese post) I have never been charged and had at least 50 items off gearbest alone last year. I've only had one item not turn up about 18 months ago (disappeared in yodel Leeds depot) Their rep Alice sorted it.

So why do HUKD not just add a generic "warning" to all Chinese posts something like :-

" This will be a grey import from a foreign seller and as such will not have a manufacturers warranty and may be liable for Import duties / VAT"

It wouldn't be difficult and would try to protect many of our less savvy members . Of course it would not prevent our more savvy members from seeing the "deal" and deciding whether the gamble is worth it .
Edited by: "rogparki" 6th Feb
andywedge1 h, 26 m ago

Hi @peterborough123 This was discussed back in 2015 when it was agreed …Hi @peterborough123 This was discussed back in 2015 when it was agreed prices with delivery should be included. You can see the thread here https://www.hotukdeals.com/feedback/delivery-costs-should-be-included-in-price-2112472

Thanks Andy! Much appreciated, however, it does not really address the issue of this post. The whole point is that you are not saying "plus delivery" for Amazon posts... you are clearly showing two different prices but not specifying delivery. When i shop online at say Tesco or Sainsburys, i do not see two different prices advertised for a product. The company knows i am not stupid and are clear that delivery is extra. They do not show a price for regular people and another price for people using the Delivery saver option. The post you attached is clear in posts showing the price plus delivery... why not do that for Amazon posts?? Rather than prices with or without Prime.
Does it really matter? If you want something and it's a really good deal then get the free trial? Buy it. Cancel it. Repeat as and when required. I've never understood why people pay for prime anyway.
It should show how much this site is being paid from clicking affiliate links
Any deal without postage is an instant cold vote, why post a deal and try and be deceptive of the actual cost.
brilly5 h, 11 m ago

thread this has all stemmed …thread this has all stemmed fromhttps://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/grill-cleaner-now-40-off-599-sold-by-bailun-best-sell-and-fulfilled-by-amazon-2885478op either obtuse or dim

Actually, stemmed from a chat with a MOD actually.... really no need to be rude... or is that above your pay-grade?
The pricing system amazon do has made me boycott them altogether, I ain't paying for a package service when i only want deliverys, ** amazon
Edited by moderator: "edit" 7th Feb
peterborough1236 h, 31 m ago

Actually, stemmed from a chat with a MOD actually.... really no need to be …Actually, stemmed from a chat with a MOD actually.... really no need to be rude... or is that above your pay-grade?

could that be the mod ... in that thread? or did you need to be told yet again in that thread then yet again here?
oh

my pay grade is zero so obviously nothing is beneath me, perhaps you may wish to insult me better next time
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants