New polymer £20 note so cash your old ones in

Posted 4th MarEdited by:"Southerndealfinder"
Recently I contacted a friend in Melbourne Australia who was involved in the invention and creation of the new Polymer notes. I told them about the new £20 polymer note now out in the UK and told them also the old one is only valid for at least 6 Months. I know about 50 Expats around the world and virtually nobody knew about this and nearly all have them have several of the Old £20 notes.
So better than a christmas card get in touch with some old friends, which might be nice too, and give them a heads up about this.
Nice image of JMW Turner the Expats like that too.
3417168.jpg
Community Updates
Top comments
There has been NO notification that the notes are coming out of circulation yet. The BoE states a percentage level at which they must reach in returned notes before they issue the 6 month warning. As they have only recently been launched at 34 banks and roughly the same amount of the most popular ATMs around the country it will be at least 8 weeks before every bank has them to dish out and another 12 weeks before every ATM is updated to be able to work with the new size notes. They predict it will be about 12 months before they reach the returned threshold and then the will give the 6 months notice.

Your friends have plenty of time - do stop spreading fake info.
Will be legal tender until at least 2022

Definitely fake news
You will however always be able to take them into Bank of England to exchange them. Most retail banks will send them off and exchange them for you on the spot. Even older notes too.
47 Comments
You will however always be able to take them into Bank of England to exchange them. Most retail banks will send them off and exchange them for you on the spot. Even older notes too.
I changed an old £10 note months after the "deadline" at my local Barclays, no fuss, they just swapped it for me
davewave04/03/2020 13:28

You will however always be able to take them into Bank of England to …You will however always be able to take them into Bank of England to exchange them. Most retail banks will send them off and exchange them for you on the spot. Even older notes too.

I think you would struggle to do that when abroad in most countries.
Southerndealfinder04/03/2020 13:31

I think you would struggle to do that when abroad in most countries.

What would be the point of simply telling expats that the old notes are out of circulation?
davewave04/03/2020 13:43

What would be the point of simply telling expats that the old notes are …What would be the point of simply telling expats that the old notes are out of circulation?

What like cashing the money in, wherever they are, if they are not coming back to the Uk for a while!!
What's a £20 note??
fake news
Southerndealfinder04/03/2020 13:47

What like cashing the money in, wherever they are, if they are not coming …What like cashing the money in, wherever they are, if they are not coming back to the Uk for a while!!

If they were keeping hold of the notes until the next time they visit the UK then it's not a problem - all they have to do is visit a bank when they get here & swap the old notes for new ones.
DAMNOME04/03/2020 14:06

fake news

True the new note is significantly more difficult to Copy thats why they they produced it
cis_groupie04/03/2020 14:10

If they were keeping hold of the notes until the next time they visit the …If they were keeping hold of the notes until the next time they visit the UK then it's not a problem - all they have to do is visit a bank when they get here & swap the old notes for new ones.

I agree once you are settled within the times they are open and location of a particular bank. Many have disapeared in the UK over the last 10 years. Also for how long will you be able to do this, I don't know that but neither do you? When you arrive at the airport nobody will accept it for example try to use it in a taxi to get you to your location of choice at any particular time of day. Its an extra hassle you don't need which can be simply solved by having this knowledge.
Is there going to be any new £50.00 notes coming out, if yes then how long is it going to be. Maybe 2030
There has been NO notification that the notes are coming out of circulation yet. The BoE states a percentage level at which they must reach in returned notes before they issue the 6 month warning. As they have only recently been launched at 34 banks and roughly the same amount of the most popular ATMs around the country it will be at least 8 weeks before every bank has them to dish out and another 12 weeks before every ATM is updated to be able to work with the new size notes. They predict it will be about 12 months before they reach the returned threshold and then the will give the 6 months notice.

Your friends have plenty of time - do stop spreading fake info.
ArcadeAssassin04/03/2020 14:46

There has been NO notification that the notes are coming out of …There has been NO notification that the notes are coming out of circulation yet. The BoE states a percentage level at which they must reach in returned notes before they issue the 6 month warning. As they have only recently been launched at 34 banks and roughly the same amount of the most popular ATMs around the country it will be at least 8 weeks before every bank has them to dish out and another 12 weeks before every ATM is updated to be able to work with the new size notes. They predict it will be about 12 months before they reach the returned threshold and then the will give the 6 months notice. Your friends have plenty of time - do stop spreading fake info.

Why is it Fake information that intrigues me? the Bank of England website clearly staes "We’ll give you 6 months’ notice of the date you’ll no longer be able to use the paper £20" with no date when this is to be instigated. So you don't know and I don't know so why wouldn't this be good information to know when you are sat in a country with excess old British currency. I am pretty sure everyone I know who actually travels and lives abroad and has an overall experience, including myself, will be happy with this advice. If you go to Benidorm a couple of times a year it will probably not effect you.
Southerndealfinder04/03/2020 15:00

Why is it Fake information that intrigues me? the Bank of England website …Why is it Fake information that intrigues me? the Bank of England website clearly staes "We’ll give you 6 months’ notice of the date you’ll no longer be able to use the paper £20" with no date when this is to be instigated. So you don't know and I don't know so why wouldn't this be good information to know when you are sat in a country with excess old British currency. I am pretty sure everyone I know who actually travels and lives abroad and has an overall experience, including myself, will be happy with this advice. If you go to Benidorm a couple of times a year it will probably not effect you.

You state in the op that the old note is valid for 6 months. This is incorrect. The old note will valid for way over a year yet. That is why your info is false.

I also resent the inference that I have, or ever will go to Benidorm. I am much better travelled then that.
Will be legal tender until at least 2022

Definitely fake news
ArcadeAssassin04/03/2020 15:13

You state in the op that the old note is valid for 6 months. This is …You state in the op that the old note is valid for 6 months. This is incorrect. The old note will valid for way over a year yet. That is why your info is false. I also resent the inference that I have, or ever will go to Benidorm. I am much better travelled then that.

That comment was a general one meant for the "Global We" I am sorry for any offence you may have perceived but perhaps your annoyance could present a lack of understanding of lives of Expats abroad.

Many people who live abroad for a significant time have numerous currencies, including myself, which no longer can be used

They are now a significant proportion of the British Network i.e. everyone knows someone who lives abroad.

Alot of expats next trip back to the UK could be more than a year in the future which you would be able to understand that if you had any knowledge of their lifestyle which I suspect you don't.

So I reiterate it is solely to let them know that things have changed.

I can't actually believe people "Some People" have a problem with this beneficial information with this its hillarious!!!
Edited by: "Southerndealfinder" 4th Mar
Southerndealfinder04/03/2020 15:24

That comment was a general one meant for the "Global We" I am sorry for …That comment was a general one meant for the "Global We" I am sorry for any offence you may have perceived but perhaps your annoyance could present a lack of understanding of lives of Expats abroad.Many people who live abroad for a significant time have numerous currencies, including myself, which no longer can be usedThey are now a significant proportion of the British Network i.e. everyone knows someone who lives abroad.Alot of expats next trip back to the UK could be more than a year in the future which you would be able to understand that if you had any knowledge of their lifestyle which I suspect you don't.So I reiterate it is solely to let them know that things have changed.I can't actually believe people "Some People" have a problem with this beneficial information with this its hillarious!!!

Let me put it another, more simpler way for you. It has nothing to do with your ex pat friends or their way of life or your helpfulness towards informing them.

I’m was simply stating that your original post is incorrect as it stated, and still does, that the old £20 note is only valid for 6 months. THIS IS WRONG.

Ps. I have family all over the world and I myself have been to 37 different countries and have the currency to match. I am not informing them of the £20 coming out of use, as it isn’t, and won’t be for years yet.
Southerndealfinder04/03/2020 15:24

That comment was a general one meant for the "Global We" I am sorry for …That comment was a general one meant for the "Global We" I am sorry for any offence you may have perceived but perhaps your annoyance could present a lack of understanding of lives of Expats abroad.Many people who live abroad for a significant time have numerous currencies, including myself, which no longer can be usedThey are now a significant proportion of the British Network i.e. everyone knows someone who lives abroad.Alot of expats next trip back to the UK could be more than a year in the future which you would be able to understand that if you had any knowledge of their lifestyle which I suspect you don't.So I reiterate it is solely to let them know that things have changed.I can't actually believe people "Some People" have a problem with this beneficial information with this its hillarious!!!

Its more the fact that your information is wrong.
Southerndealfinder04/03/2020 14:21

I agree once you are settled within the times they are open and location …I agree once you are settled within the times they are open and location of a particular bank. Many have disapeared in the UK over the last 10 years. Also for how long will you be able to do this, I don't know that but neither do you? When you arrive at the airport nobody will accept it for example try to use it in a taxi to get you to your location of choice at any particular time of day. Its an extra hassle you don't need which can be simply solved by having this knowledge.

You can still exchange £1 notes in the bank so there isn't a time limit.
Southerndealfinder04/03/2020 13:47

What like cashing the money in, wherever they are, if they are not coming …What like cashing the money in, wherever they are, if they are not coming back to the Uk for a while!!

They could have done that at any point.
ArcadeAssassin04/03/2020 15:36

Let me put it another, more simpler way for you. It has nothing to do with …Let me put it another, more simpler way for you. It has nothing to do with your ex pat friends or their way of life or your helpfulness towards informing them. I’m was simply stating that your original post is incorrect as it stated, and still does, that the old £20 note is only valid for 6 months. THIS IS WRONG.Ps. I have family all over the world and I myself have been to 37 different countries and have the currency to match. I am not informing them of the £20 coming out of use, as it isn’t, and won’t be for years yet.

I have changed the wording to "at Least 6 Months" I am sure you must be happy with that as it is in consistency with the Bank of England website you surely cannot refute that.
Can I just suggest you send this new information to your friends abroad and then receive their response.
I am off to Benidorm now I believe the weather is better there Ha ha!
chocci04/03/2020 15:38

Its more the fact that your information is wrong.

I have changed the wording to "at Least 6 Months" I am sure you must be happy with that as it is in consistency with the Bank of England website you surely cannot refute that.
Can I just suggest you send this new information to your friends abroad and then receive their response.
There expats it’s there problem..
davewave04/03/2020 15:48

You can still exchange £1 notes in the bank so there isn't a time limit.

so what relevance is that. Will your local taxi driver take £1 notes I rest my case!!
chocci04/03/2020 15:15

Will be legal tender until at least 2022Definitely fake news

with the £10 note it came out September 2017 and the paper notes ceased to be legal tender in March 2018, they had to give 3 months notice. Where are you getting 2022 from?
Dannyrobbo04/03/2020 16:26

with the £10 note it came out September 2017 and the paper notes ceased to …with the £10 note it came out September 2017 and the paper notes ceased to be legal tender in March 2018, they had to give 3 months notice. Where are you getting 2022 from?

You can still exchange old £10 notes in any bank rendering the whole point of this thread rather sensationalist
Dannyrobbo04/03/2020 16:26

with the £10 note it came out September 2017 and the paper notes ceased to …with the £10 note it came out September 2017 and the paper notes ceased to be legal tender in March 2018, they had to give 3 months notice. Where are you getting 2022 from?

To be fair, there are roughly 7 times the amount of £20 notes out there than there was £10 notes so it will definitely be longer. In 2017 the BoE stated that it would take 3 years to clear through them all (£20s) when released and that was scheduled for late 2018, the delay has therefore pushed the legal tender cur off date forward as well although later in 2022 might be stretch.
Southerndealfinder04/03/2020 15:50

I have changed the wording to "at Least 6 Months" I am sure you must be …I have changed the wording to "at Least 6 Months" I am sure you must be happy with that as it is in consistency with the Bank of England website you surely cannot refute that.Can I just suggest you send this new information to your friends abroad and then receive their response. I am off to Benidorm now I believe the weather is better there Ha ha!

Fair play.
chocci04/03/2020 16:33

You can still exchange old £10 notes in any bank rendering the whole point …You can still exchange old £10 notes in any bank rendering the whole point of this thread rather sensationalist

You said they’d be legal tender until 2022, there’s a good chance this isn’t correct since both the £5 and £10 were withdrawn from being legal tender about 5 to 8 months later. Where did you read 2022? Any expat coming into the country can’t just go into any bank for a swap you have to be a customer which may not be the case they may not have any UK account.
Southerndealfinder04/03/2020 15:00

Why is it Fake information that intrigues me? the Bank of England website …Why is it Fake information that intrigues me? the Bank of England website clearly staes "We’ll give you 6 months’ notice of the date you’ll no longer be able to use the paper £20" with no date when this is to be instigated. So you don't know and I don't know so why wouldn't this be good information to know when you are sat in a country with excess old British currency. I am pretty sure everyone I know who actually travels and lives abroad and has an overall experience, including myself, will be happy with this advice. If you go to Benidorm a couple of times a year it will probably not effect you.

That’s where you are wrong!
Bank of England will give 6 months notice before. The notice will probably be next year as the current £20s had finished after 2 years.
So say Bank of England remains quite and then next February says “ok guys, hand us the last lot” then let your Australia friends know
Misslovely04/03/2020 17:28

That’s where you are wrong! Bank of England will give 6 months notice b …That’s where you are wrong! Bank of England will give 6 months notice before. The notice will probably be next year as the current £20s had finished after 2 years. So say Bank of England remains quite and then next February says “ok guys, hand us the last lot” then let your Australia friends know

I am not sure what you are talking about makes no sense to me Ha Ha!!!
19DembaBa1904/03/2020 14:45

Is there going to be any new £50.00 notes coming out, if yes then how long …Is there going to be any new £50.00 notes coming out, if yes then how long is it going to be. Maybe 2030

Next year bankofengland.co.uk/ban…ote
Maybe the expats will hear about the new £20 notes, when th deadline is actually announced. You know,the announcement giving 6 months notice to spend the old £20 notes.
If they don't hear about it then, then it's an issue surely?
And really, how many expats are going to have so many £20 notes that it's actually an issue? And if they do well that’s their issue
My hubby is in Parkhurst until Christmas, will i have enough time to spend them when he gets out?

bex8504/03/2020 19:02

Maybe the expats will hear about the new £20 notes, when th deadline is …Maybe the expats will hear about the new £20 notes, when th deadline is actually announced. You know,the announcement giving 6 months notice to spend the old £20 notes.If they don't hear about it then, then it's an issue surely?And really, how many expats are going to have so many £20 notes that it's actually an issue? And if they do well that’s their issue

All my 50 friends overseas had spare old £20 notes lying around. As this site is about saving money for people, not sure what letting people know about the new situation in the Uk, when it has changed is an issue. None of this is Fake news its real news it has opened up a can of worms about the mentality of a few of the members onthe site which has been noted
Southerndealfinder04/03/2020 15:54

so what relevance is that. Will your local taxi driver take £1 notes I …so what relevance is that. Will your local taxi driver take £1 notes I rest my case!!

Yes he will.
davewave04/03/2020 19:27

Yes he will.

Can you give me his contact details then?
davewave04/03/2020 19:58

Just Google Taxi, 50th listing.

So thats a no then? you obviously dont have a real person in mind maybe it is an imaginary friend.
I'll be sending an early Xmas card to my expat friends telling them they're no longer legal tender.

And mention that I'm not sure what gift they should get me. But that I collect obsolete currency...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants