New pressure treated decking maintenance

Posted 28th Jun
Hi all, I have a question related to newly laid decking. I’m having it installed this week in my back garden and was wondering if there is any need to oil/paint it straight away?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
"I’m having it installed this week"

Maybe a silly question, but wouldn't it be the perfect opportunity to ask the installer the same question? After all, they know what they're doing....right?
StonkwellBogtrotter28/06/2020 09:27

"I’m having it installed this week"Maybe a silly question, but wouldn't it …"I’m having it installed this week"Maybe a silly question, but wouldn't it be the perfect opportunity to ask the installer the same question? After all, they know what they're doing....right?

So the installer said to leave it, because once I start ‘maintaining’ it I’ll have to keep on top of it. That alongside seeing some people oil their new decking has confused me over which course of action to take(confused)
Haha bet the installer said leave it, few years and he'll be back to install a new one 😁

Seriously though, i installed mine and did nothing to it until it started to look scruffy (it went green with the moss) i then painted it with a non slip paint, which has now turned into an every other year job.

If you are going to oil it is not going to hurt, will probably make it look nicer for much longer, just buy the best quality oil/paint you can.
Edited by: "bluetba" 28th Jun
Just asking, why did you not go for composite decking?
I built my decking a few years ago and used decking Oil to protect it as soon as it was built, yes its a yearly thing to redo do but the more you protect it the longer it will last. so personally i can see no reason not to paint it ASAP.
haa051828/06/2020 10:28

Just asking, why did you not go for composite decking?

Good question. I’m getting whole garden done which includes the grass - I opted for artificial grass over turf and couldn’t really afford to upgrade the decking material also
LadiesMan2I728/06/2020 10:42

I built my decking a few years ago and used decking Oil to protect it as …I built my decking a few years ago and used decking Oil to protect it as soon as it was built, yes its a yearly thing to redo do but the more you protect it the longer it will last. so personally i can see no reason not to paint it ASAP.

Yeah so I thought If I did do it I would use this product below:
41232064-hqgG4.jpg
Yes that is fine, think i used Cuprinol decking oil but Ronseal is just a good, Just make sure to choose the colour carefully as once its on your stuck with it
I treated mine with oil the first few years, now I power wash and stain with Ronseal oak so more natural. The decking has been down since 2009.
Rose528/06/2020 21:03

I treated mine with oil the first few years, now I power wash and stain …I treated mine with oil the first few years, now I power wash and stain with Ronseal oak so more natural. The decking has been down since 2009.

Is the to Ronseal oak a stain?
Post a comment
@
    Text