Expired

New puppy feeding advice needed

Found 15th Nov 2014
I got a Cavapoo puppy 8 days ago and i'm wondering which is the best food to feed her. She's on Iams dried puppy food for small to medium breeds atm as that's what the breeder was feeding her, but i'm not sure it's right for her. The pack says she should be having 160g a day split in to 4 meals, but she only eats around 40-50g a day and I can't get her to eat any more. Any advice is appreciated
Community Updates
18 Comments
How old is she?Are you putting a bit of water in with the dried food to soften it for her?Have you had her vet checked?
Edited by: "Holly1985" 15th Nov 2014
She's 9 weeks old and was vet checked at 8 weeks No, I haven't been putting water in with the food because she refuses to eat most of the time, so the food can be down hours before she'll decide to eat it. If I add water i'll have to throw it away after half an hour at the most. She eats once a day usually and seems to cope fine with the dried food.
If it's hungry it will eat, I'm sure it's appetite will pick up, Perhaps put some gravy on it.
You're probably right shauneco, and she seems happy enough, but has lost a little bit of weight so was just a bit worried.
Generally with puppy food it's recommended to add water too soften it and to mash it up a bit, at 8/9 weeks puppies are still very new to the world let alone solid food. Most dried puppy food you will need to add some warm water around half an hour before you feed her, use set feeding times and try to stick to them aswell. If you have to throw food away then unfortunately thats how it has to be.

Edited by: "Holly1985" 15th Nov 2014
I've had a look in to adding water and opinions seem to be split with quite a lot saying adding water can cause bloat, the dog won't eat as much, and also issues with food spoiling due to bacteria developing in moist food. If she'd eat a few small meals a day it wouldn't be a problem, but I have to leave the food down just to make sure she'll eat at some point.

Taken from the Iams site.. "Adding water will not change the nutritional value of a dry pet food. However, once moisture is added the food should be eaten relatively soon, and any uneaten portion discarded to avoid spoilage. Dry feeding our pet foods is usually encouraged because of the benefit to the pet's dental health".

When she does eat she seems fine and eats quite fast. Iams is quite small, and it was a vet who recommended it. I'm just wondering if it could be a little rich maybe.

Edited by: "vics219" 15th Nov 2014
You sound more of a cat person.
dereklogan7

You sound more of a cat person.

Do I?
If you think the iams food could be quite rich for your puppy, try mixing in some boiled rice with the food. It will be soft for your pup, and will be a different texture. Also it may entice your puppy to eat as it will mellow the flavour down of the iams. I would suggest giving her a small portion of iams and rice and see if she does eat it first, if she doesn't at least you wouldn't have wasted much throwing it in the bin.
Also maybe try offering her scrambled eggs, my dog goes nuts over this, she's quite a fussy dog and always wants something different, so we mix her dry dog food with tin food or eggs, rice, pate etc.

If she doesn't continue to eat and she is losing weight, definitely recommend going to the vets as there may be a underlying problem, causing her not wanting to eat.
Thanks just1990, i'll try the rice idea I don't want her to get used to having the food softened, but the rice could really work.

She's at the vets next week as she has her 2nd vaccinations, so i'll have a word then. She's really active and energetic though, so i'm not worrying to much just yet. I expected her to go through a period of adjustment as she only came off her mums milk last week, so I guess she's still getting used to a pure solid food diet.
I'm no expert so hopefully someone else can confirm (or recommend not to do) this, but I found only giving my puppy access to food at certain times made her eventually realise that if she wants food, she has to eat then or go without!
Yes i've read about that Callum, and set out trying to do just that, but she just wasn't eating. As soon as I can get her settled and eating properly, she'll be given her food at set times
I have raised 6 Guidedog puppies. Some of them like the dried food softened, but some like it dry. It's actually better for their teeth to have it dry. Leave the food down for 10 mins, if it's not eaten within that time, remove it until the next mealtime. I assume she is on 4 meals per day?
I've always fed my dog iams but I find he eats it better when mixed with a bit of tinned food unless I feed him by hand and he'll woof it down he loves butchers I've tried gravy but he not a gravy eater as doesn't like it in his beard
karagh

I have raised 6 Guidedog puppies. Some of them like the dried food … I have raised 6 Guidedog puppies. Some of them like the dried food softened, but some like it dry. It's actually better for their teeth to have it dry. Leave the food down for 10 mins, if it's not eaten within that time, remove it until the next mealtime. I assume she is on 4 meals per day?

Well I started out with 4 meals a day, but she was only eating one and not at all interested in the others. I tend to leave it down for her now because I just want her to have the food available whenever she wants it. Maybe i'm just being too soft on her though. Last night she got a bit giddy and wolfed down about 70g of food in one go, then ran round the garden like a lunatic. 10 minutes later she brought most of the food back up all over her bed
I personally do not like dried food at all.my dogs are and were fed chicken rice mulched veg and before all the shelves of dog foods and treats they ate what we had,most lived to ripe old ages,enjoyed their bone from the butchers and vet trips where unheard of.
vics219

Well I started out with 4 meals a day, but she was only eating one and … Well I started out with 4 meals a day, but she was only eating one and not at all interested in the others. I tend to leave it down for her now because I just want her to have the food available whenever she wants it. Maybe i'm just being too soft on her though. Last night she got a bit giddy and wolfed down about 70g of food in one go, then ran round the garden like a lunatic. 10 minutes later she brought most of the food back up all over her bed

That's something my dog use to do as well a few months ago, as soon as she had eaten, she'd be running around and wanting to play, 15 minutes later she threw up her food. When your puppy has eaten, I strongly advise you not to play with her, or attempt to make her run around in a full stomach, wait at least 30-45 minutes and then play with her, else she will constantly puke her food up. Since we've stopped playing with our dog after she's eaten, and waiting for at least 30minutes+ she hasn't threw up once.
If she does just run around on her own, make her sit next to you, and make her wait, or tell her to sit on her bed. You won't be having to clean her mess up afterwards, as my dog use to just run around like a nutter on her own after eating and threw up. Set times for food would be better for you, especially as she is young, she'll start learning and getting accustomed to the way she is getting treated now.
As you wrote it was just a week ago since she was weaned of her mums milk, your probably right that it will just take a bit of time for her to get use to solid foods,but maybe your best option would be to introduce her to softer food and then gradually mix more solid food in time, and she should get use to it. Good luck
just1990

That's something my dog use to do as well a few months ago, as soon as … That's something my dog use to do as well a few months ago, as soon as she had eaten, she'd be running around and wanting to play, 15 minutes later she threw up her food. When your puppy has eaten, I strongly advise you not to play with her, or attempt to make her run around in a full stomach, wait at least 30-45 minutes and then play with her, else she will constantly puke her food up. Since we've stopped playing with our dog after she's eaten, and waiting for at least 30minutes+ she hasn't threw up once. If she does just run around on her own, make her sit next to you, and make her wait, or tell her to sit on her bed. You won't be having to clean her mess up afterwards, as my dog use to just run around like a nutter on her own after eating and threw up. Set times for food would be better for you, especially as she is young, she'll start learning and getting accustomed to the way she is getting treated now. As you wrote it was just a week ago since she was weaned of her mums milk, your probably right that it will just take a bit of time for her to get use to solid foods,but maybe your best option would be to introduce her to softer food and then gradually mix more solid food in time, and she should get use to it. Good luck

Thanks for the advice
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants