Groups
    EXPIRED

New quad core pc required

Hi I'm looking for a new pc, quad core with a few bells and whistles. I'm not a gamer but would like a decent 22+ monitor and twin dvd/cd drives. I don't mind buying seperates, I've even looked at some of the refurbished items offered by pcworld/currys/dixons. My budget is £650 but less would be prefered. Any ideas?

7 Comments

Tiny point but don't let the lack of a 2nd dvd put you off. They are about 15-20 quidnand esay to install. I'm sure for your budget you'll be able to get a good spec machine.
    Have a look at the Dell outlet.

Original Poster

[QUOTE=

though not many apps support 4 cores...[/QUOTE]

It's been a while since I've had a new pc would dual core be advisable?

Laydon;3098475

It's been a while since I've had a new pc would dual core be advisable?

No, since the apps that don't use quad-cores generally don't use dual-cores either (or do so half-heartedly).

The main reason to get a dual-core is that intel's current quad-cores are two dual-cores stuck together so they're quite a bit hotter and more power hungry (not twice as much since they're lower clocked) than the dual-cores.

With your budget and requirements I'd consider going for an absolutely stunning monitor for ~£300 (the HP LP2275w for example) and spending the other £300-350 on a basic quad-core system. Have you got a decent keyboard and mouse already?

Original Poster

Yes I've got a logitech cordless duo which I'm happy with. Is it possible to buy a quad core for £300-£350, would it have on board graphics (is that still a no-no), how much ram is required? My last pc was a 1.4 athlon that I built. I did consider that route again but I'm so out of touch with the overwhelming choice of components.

Thanks

Hey Laydon, £200 for the monitor, £110 for the video card (4850) and the rest on the PC. You could pick up a dual core (Intel C2D) or a quad core refurb for £350...depends on which games you want to play. You might want to build your own but that can be more expensive...

Best of luck!

Laydon;3099767

Yes I've got a logitech cordless duo which I'm happy with. Is it possible … Yes I've got a logitech cordless duo which I'm happy with. Is it possible to buy a quad core for £300-£350, would it have on board graphics (is that still a no-no), how much ram is required? My last pc was a 1.4 athlon that I built. I did consider that route again but I'm so out of touch with the overwhelming choice of components. Thanks

Tesco were doing a dell quad-core for £300 that was a good deal but it's out of stock at the moment.

It would have onboard graphics but these days unless you need something specific, decent onboard graphics are generally fine. The X4500/Geforce 8200/Radeon 3200 are excellent if you can find them in your price range.

2GB of memory is fine and standard on all but the cheapest sub-£200 PCs.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tooth extraction77
      2. Decent Mp3 Player?33
      3. Box Nation44
      4. iPhone x66

See more discussions