New road tax rule

Found 26th Apr
Hi guys,
I wanted to sell my Hyundai I10 and buy another new car. at the moment I pay £30.00 a year road tax but upon researching on the web I found out about the new road tax rule which was implemented from 1st Apr this year. my question is how the new rule affect me? I don't seem to find the answer.

I am looking for low cost car; I mean cheap insurance, cheap road tax, cheap to maintain and run. It is not an upgrade just change of car.
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Think it only if you buy a car registered after April 2018, don't think it affects smaller engines as much more cost towards performance cars I believe
My recollection is that for those registered after the change, there is no more super cheap deal for "low" emission.

Yup. for those registered after 1 April 2017, the run on rate is £140 for everything except zero emission (not sure if that would count electric with range extender engine?), and a discount / penalty rate in the first year

carmagazine.co.uk/car…st/
Thank you that makes more sense, I think I am safe
From Gov.uk website. First year still depends on emissions, after that £140, unless its electric (£0) or hybrid (£130).
all road tax now increases by RPI, though, regardless of year
Thanks Ar460rn, I have no plan on buying a new car. Cheap second hand maybe 2 or 3 years old for change.
Thanks again
Edited by: "Betty21" 27th Apr
The original tax rules were intended so that anything getting under 50mpg petrol or 57mpg diesel paid £140 a year. Unfortunately the test for it proved so easy to manipulate that a lot of cars that should have fallen into that bracket, like your i10, could claim ridiculous test figures and get the really low tax brackets that were intended to drive development of more efficient cars.
Depends on age of car I think?
SORRY, this is not an answer to your question, but. Why dont they scrap road tax and put 3p or so on the price of a ltr of fuel. Nobody can drive without paying then, no tax dodgers. Also when foreign trucks, coach's and overseas drivers come to the uk, they contribute to our road upkeep etc. Also people doing 50k a year pay for the amount of wear and tear and people who do 5k a year pay for the little useage they use.
cornishscouse2 h, 33 m ago

SORRY, this is not an answer to your question, but. Why dont they scrap …SORRY, this is not an answer to your question, but. Why dont they scrap road tax and put 3p or so on the price of a ltr of fuel. Nobody can drive without paying then, no tax dodgers. Also when foreign trucks, coach's and overseas drivers come to the uk, they contribute to our road upkeep etc. Also people doing 50k a year pay for the amount of wear and tear and people who do 5k a year pay for the little useage they use.

This would make too much sense, how dare you suggest a relatively sensible and easy thing to do.

Unfortunately it wont ever happen though as they'd lose too much money, not that it's spent on anything useful anyway.

Doris pays road tax 7 days a week now, even though she only drives to bingo once a week.

If your idea was used, she'd only be paying road tax for 1 day a week.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants