New roof fitted

Found 12th Mar
Hi folks. I am having a new roof fitted to my 3 bed semi detached house including new tiles (obviously), lathe, membrane, new chimney flashing. Also I am having new fascia and soffits. It is a gable roof and the price I am paying is £4900. I was wondering if there is anything I should look out for before, during and after the fitting. One thing that concerns me is that despite the roofer being the real deal he only offers 1 year guarantee while some other roofers offer 10 years - or am I being too pedantic? Also I don't think he accepts card so what would be the best way to pay him that offers me the best protection in case of future issues? Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
I would definitely want my roof to be covered for at least 5-10 years since its a new full install.

I had my kitchen flat roof removed 2 years ago and install new. Cost was £1400 with 10 years warranty. Last year I had an issue but the installer came and rectified.

A job like yours is huge and recommend you get everything in writing and by someone who wont vanish if you have issues after.

Good Luck
1 year guarantee rather than 10. Hhhhhmmmmm. Well you have obviously already decided.

Presumably you have already taken up references for other jobs he has done that are similar?

The works needs Building Regs so make the inspector a cuppa and be nice. (s)he will help you head off dodgy things. Be around as much as possible to ensure materials are not re-used. Take a keen interest. Take lots of photos before and then you have something to compare with after.

Beware that new soffits means new soffits. Some clad the timber which then sweats and rots.

Your buildings insurance may not cover building work. Soem do upto c. £50k, others excluded any damage. Your builder shoudl have insurance. Ask for a certificate.

Pay in installments that have value to YOU.

> Scafolding erected & deposit 10%
> Old roof off and new timbers/felt on & tiles onsite 30%
> Tiles/hips on valleys and pointing finished & soffits replaced20%

> Building Inspector hands over the certificate 40% - if nothing else, this is THE BIGGIE and maybe the only one you get away with on a job this size. No certificate means you cant sell your house

Bank transfer the sums.
1 year Guarantee is something I’d expect with a patch up job , odd loose tile etc. Not a replacement of a whole roof - buy cheap buy twice! There basically saying we only guarantee our work will last 1 season!?
Most long guarantees are insurance backed, since the Grenfell fire a lot of these insurers have abandoned the building market.
£4900 seems cheap, I had my roof replaced on a terraced house about 15 years ago and that was £8000 then. I would look for someone who offers a 10 year guarantee.
Original Poster
123thisisme5 h, 0 m ago

£4900 seems cheap, I had my roof replaced on a terraced house about 15 …£4900 seems cheap, I had my roof replaced on a terraced house about 15 years ago and that was £8000 then. I would look for someone who offers a 10 year guarantee.

What is slate or roof tiles that you had fitted
Freefall627014 m ago

What is slate or roof tiles that you had fitted

Slate I think.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants