Groups

New Router for Talk Talk Fibre

Hello everyone, I'm currently looking for a decent router as a replacement for my current Talk Talk fibre router (DSL 3780).
    Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
    Thank you in advance for replies

6 Comments

Any that have a VDSL modem should do you fine. I personally use a TP-Link TD-W9980 on BT. Doesn't have the latest AC wifi though. It keeps the connection extremely well on a long line.
    Edited by: "mpmc1987" 12th Dec 2016

Do you need a router with VDSL? I know BT now supply them with it (built in). I still have the white BT Inifinity modem and use my own Asus RT-N66U router which has been very reliable.

nomisco

Do you need a router with VDSL? I know BT now supply them with it (built … Do you need a router with VDSL? I know BT now supply them with it (built in). I still have the white BT Inifinity modem and use my own Asus RT-N66U router which has been very reliable.

If you don't have the white OR modem then yes. The openreach modem can be used as a stand alone router (without wifi) if using an unlocked firmware (which depending on the model can be easy or not so easy to install).

I've got the white OR modem, the Hub 3, 4 & 6 (all shoved in a cupboard). When I first had VDSL installed I replaced the HH3 attached to the OR modem with my own tp-link cable router running openwrt.
    Edited by: "mpmc1987" 12th Dec 2016

Asus RT-AC87U is pretty solid but also slightly on the larger side.
    You'll need a separate modem though, but you can always connect this to your existing router and turn off wifi on the old one.

nomisco

Do you need a router with VDSL? I know BT now supply them with it (built … Do you need a router with VDSL? I know BT now supply them with it (built in). I still have the white BT Inifinity modem and use my own Asus RT-N66U router which has been very reliable.

BT stopped doing them at the beginning of this year, and dont even support them/repair them now.
    In its day, it was the best you could get, but 2nd generation models like the one below give better line speeds and more user controls.

+1 for the TPL, or if you want something with slightly better Wifi (and much better looking), the TPL Archer VR200 AC750, a bit of a mouthful, but although the previously mentioned TPL is about the cheapest decent VDSL router you can get, there have been overheating issues reported with some of them.

Original Poster

I think about buying ASUS DSL-N55U.
    I have currently DLINK DSL 3780 connected to the white open reach modem. Will the ASUS DSL N55U work correctly with Talk Talk Fibre? Thank you for your help
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64534
      3. Tv choice magazine Issue 391414
      4. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1133

See more discussions