New Rules / Publication Rules going live 24th July - let us have your feedback

ADMIN 1400
Posted 17th Jul 2019
Hey guys - so for the past few months we've been working on some new rules which we'd like to put live on 24th July.

We know that the current rules have led to lots of uncertainty which has resulted in a fair amount of inconsistency in our decision making. We want to start afresh

>> You'll find the publication rules here <<

We need to get to a point where the first contact/communication we have with you provides enough information for you to understand why we've made that decision instead of you being sent a "catch all" message. For example, telling you specifically why we think a merchant unsuitable, instead of just telling you they can't be added at this time.

If you're still unsure or you have a question, the team will be on hand to provide further information and all you need to do is reply to the @hotukdeals_team message and someone will get back to you.

Every decision will be explained and we'll take whatever time is needed to make sure you're happy with our reasoning. Every action will be communicated (for example, when we move a thread from Deals to Discussions).

For the deal posters amongst us I think the biggest change is likely to be the need for deals to be market leading when they get shared on hotukdeals. Why such a change? We do not think we would be enabling our members to make the right purchasing decision if we allow a deal on site knowing it is cheaper elsewhere. This rule is to cover like for like products/services. Additional benefits (eg a John Lewis extended warranty) would be classed as a different deal when looking at the price etc.

Our community should be able to trust the content they see on hotukdeals and we do not think showing non market leading deals on our Hot page helps us with this mission.

We also hear your feedback that retention offers, targeted deals or local reduced to clear items should not be in the Deals section if the majority cannot benefit from these. So these will now be moved to Discussions.

We're also going to be moving megathreads/deal compilations to Discussions. We often see "heat for effort" type comments on these deals and we want to focus on hot deals! Heat should not solely be given for "effort" when the actual deal itself could be poor. When megathreads contain many products for different merchants a single vote isn't suitable for such content. For clarity, an "up to **% sale" at a single merchant with product examples is not a megathread under this rule and can stay in Deals.

I fully appreciate that some of these changes might take some time to adjust but we truly believe these changes are needed to improve our deal content quality and also how our community engages with the team, eachother and also our site.

What else have we been working on?

- Recently we've added a FAQ to site which provided answers to many of the questions you either ask in Feedback or the emails we receive. There is a discussion thread here if you wanted to provide your feedback.

- There will be a further announcement soon but we're looking to add a feature on site to filter Local deals so you do not have to see those which aren't in your area. This will be a user preference which you can set yourselves.

- Building trust and transparency on hotukdeals by providing you with the information you need to see about the site, Pepper and the team. More on that in due course.

What else are we considering?

- We are going to do some testing on the vote weight in order to give back the importance of voting. First of all we need to implement these new rules and see how we go. We'll cover this as a separate discussion to keep you looped in.

Your feedback is really important to us which is why we wanted to bring you this in advance of these rules going live.

These rules aren't fixed and we'll be reviewing them based on how we see things on site and your further feedback. Any changes to these rules will be communicated.

Thanks for reading and please let us have your thoughts
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
FAQs

What about items which are RRP (like products launches)?
Items which are their normal selling price or RRP will be moved to Discussions under Rule 12. They can stay if there is an additional benefit (ie - MacBook Pro at RRP but you get £200 Giftcard when purchased).

How will you check if something is market leading?
Not all deals on hotukdeals will be able to have a comparison (due to conditions like refurbished etc) but when they do we'll use reputable price comparison sites. If we believe something is market leading (or the additional benefit justifies) we'll leave it on site. If another merchant beats it and we find out later it is not market leading the thread can remain on site but we'll do our best to ensure it receives less exposure (it won't be pushed to Highlights for example. Members can keep using the thread for discussion. We won't remove price matches from different merchants. We'll remove threads if within 5-10 minutes they aren't market leading but threads around an hour will remain.

Will you be proving information on minimum criteria for marketplace sellers?
Yep We're about to finalise the % and volume so once done this will be included in our communications with you.

What do you consider to be "Reduced to Clear" items?
These tend to be single offer "yellow sticker" items which are likely only available at one store and being sold to clear

What about items the same price but at a different retailer?
We wouldn't remove these as long as the price is still market leading.

What about code requests or threads where people are bound by the T&Cs of a 3rd party?
We'll allow codes to be requested in designated threads and no single code requests will be allowed. We'll make it clear in these threads that the end responsibility remains with whoever is offering the code. The same will go for threads where there is a question on whether members are breaching a 3rd party's terms (such as VPN accessible gaming deals).

Are you really going to remove all glitches or misprices?
Nope! We'll make a call based on what has been posted. In the past we've noticed patterns where something will get shared but we pull it because we suspect a hacked ebay account or the merchant is just data harvesting. In reality this will happen very rarely but we need to be able to have something we can rely on here when we ever make a decision to remove a thread.

What do you consider to be a megathread?
For the purpose of these rules we'll treat a thread with various deals from more than 1 seller as a megathread/deal compilation which we'll move to Discussions. Single seller threads with various products aren't considered a megathread and can remain in Deals.

What about Playstation Plus and Games With Gold etc?
These are fine to be shared in deals taking into account the benefits provided by the service and for how often they get shared/announced.

EDIT: From 27th July 2019 we will allow the following in Deals too (subject to trial):

Switch Online
Gamepass
Games with Gold
Playstation Plus
EA Access
Edited by: "magicjay1986" 27th Jul 2019
eslick17/07/2019 22:21

@magicjay1986 not to pick on him but will the removal of the megathread …@magicjay1986 not to pick on him but will the removal of the megathread impact deals like @Mrswitch and their cheapest phone under a price. Sorry Switchy.

Its fine, you make a valid point, I put a lot of work into those, and have actually been encouraged to do them in the past, and now I'm being told to stop all the hard work I do for the site, I'd love to know why the decision has been made to stop them @magicjay1986 you are basically taking away an area of the site I love, and am now being encouraged to post every single one of these deals as a single deal, instead of all in one nice neat place! Hence I'll now get flack for spamming the site!

Basically what you've done is, listen to the people who don't like Megathreads as those people are the loudest, but there are also a shed load of people who come onto these deals and tell me it helped them make a decision to buy. Poor show actually!
Edited by: "MrSwitch" 18th Jul 2019
Personally, I preferred the site when it was a Wild West free-for-all. Obviously I understand Pepper's reasoning, but whilst it no doubt increases revenue for you, it devalues it for buyers such as me. If I want to know the best price for a toaster, I can google it. What I want from a deal site is an alert that Tesco have mispriced them at 4p, or Amazon have a glitch whereby I can get a pallet full for a tenner.
I used to use the deals function, but IMHO there are better sites now. I used to use misc but, as you yourself say, there are better places for that. FS/FT? Gone too.
I used to log on multiple times a day - I'm probably here now once a fortnight.
Good luck with the changes, but I think that you'll alienate more existing users than you attract fresh.
.MUFC.17/07/2019 13:09

Can we have a new section where we can discuss Sky fairies and Politics?

I agree. An un-moderated section, titled 'enter at your own risk', would be great, where we can honestly say what's on our minds
Edited by: "deeky" 17th Jul 2019
1400 Comments
How is this a deal
One in the whole country, that the OP bought

hotukdeals.com/dea…091
Just wondering how this is deal.

Title is misleading as it’s not for the same product in the description.

Items in description are been sold usual price.

hotukdeals.com/dea…135

magicjay198621/08/2019 23:09

The duplicate hasn't been reviewed yet hence no message Will be a …The duplicate hasn't been reviewed yet hence no message Will be a couple of minutes. As for the others i'll let you know asap

Any thoughts on this a day later
Treboeth22/08/2019 23:05

Any thoughts on this a day later

I think if we can compare the product like for like elsewhere (it has to be the same brand/quality etc) then we'll look at the price. I think the paracetamol example above can come into play here (it was the same brand being sold by other shops but cheaper in Poundstretcher).

So even though some might be its selling price, will people want to know something is cheaper in Lidl/Aldi/Asda etc? So yes we have the rules, but i'm open for ideas on what the community want to see when these get shared and how we should deal with them. Most of the deals from Aldi/Lidl are timed special buys so it happens rarely.
magicjay198623/08/2019 10:36

I think if we can compare the product like for like elsewhere (it has to …I think if we can compare the product like for like elsewhere (it has to be the same brand/quality etc) then we'll look at the price. I think the paracetamol example above can come into play here (it was the same brand being sold by other shops but cheaper in Poundstretcher).So even though some might be its selling price, will people want to know something is cheaper in Lidl/Aldi/Asda etc? So yes we have the rules, but i'm open for ideas on what the community want to see when these get shared and how we should deal with them. Most of the deals from Aldi/Lidl are timed special buys so it happens rarely.

So posting items at a shops standard price is acceptable?
MrSwitch18/07/2019 06:00

Its fine, you make a valid point, I put a lot of work into those, and have …Its fine, you make a valid point, I put a lot of work into those, and have actually been encouraged to do them in the past, and now I'm being told to stop all the hard work I do for the site, I'd love to know why the decision has been made to stop them @magicjay1986 you are basically taking away an area of the site I love, and am now being encouraged to post every single one of these deals as a single deal, instead of all in one nice neat place! Hence I'll now get flack for spamming the site! (skeptical)Basically what you've done is, listen to the people who don't like Megathreads as those people are the loudest, but there are also a shed load of people who come onto these deals and tell me it helped them make a decision to buy. Poor show actually!

totally agree Switchy Simple answer is don't post !
This site is becoming too random what can be allowed \ disallowed depending on which Mod is on here on the day, site is going down the pan 😰 Lots have already left !
sixgoldstars17/07/2019 21:34

Personally, I preferred the site when it was a Wild West free-for-all. …Personally, I preferred the site when it was a Wild West free-for-all. Obviously I understand Pepper's reasoning, but whilst it no doubt increases revenue for you, it devalues it for buyers such as me. If I want to know the best price for a toaster, I can google it. What I want from a deal site is an alert that Tesco have mispriced them at 4p, or Amazon have a glitch whereby I can get a pallet full for a tenner. I used to use the deals function, but IMHO there are better sites now. I used to use misc but, as you yourself say, there are better places for that. FS/FT? Gone too.I used to log on multiple times a day - I'm probably here now once a fortnight.Good luck with the changes, but I think that you'll alienate more existing users than you attract fresh.

Agree, site gets worse 😰
Treboeth23/08/2019 10:51

So posting items at a shops standard price is acceptable?

Nope! I was just making a point that if a merchant sells a product you can find elsewhere (the same product) then maybe we need to give it more consideration if their price is lower.

But these 2 examples you sent, they are in Discussions now because they are permanent prices and not a limited time special buy or on offer.
magicjay198623/08/2019 17:49

Nope! I was just making a point that if a merchant sells a product you can …Nope! I was just making a point that if a merchant sells a product you can find elsewhere (the same product) then maybe we need to give it more consideration if their price is lower. But these 2 examples you sent, they are in Discussions now because they are permanent prices and not a limited time special buy or on offer.

Thanks Jay that sort of clarifies it for me.

Not sure why the reports weren't actioned or responded to in the first instance though.
Are all deals that have previously been mentioned in the titles of other deals classed as reposts?
I'm sure I saw that said somewhere before, but I seem to be getting an inconsistent response from reporting them, so could do with some clarification.

latest example - I reported this: hotukdeals.com/dea…306 as it was listed in the title of this deal hotukdeals.com/dea…072 (and linked to in the description).
Is it allowed because the two speakers don't fall under the same URL?
Oh, it looks like that thread has been removed now. There was another one I reported recently that didn't get removed though.

hotukdeals.com/dea…219
Edited by: "happyshopper2" 27th Aug 2019
Both gone @happyshopper2 Thanks for flagging
magicjay198627/08/2019 13:54

Both gone @happyshopper2 Thanks for flagging

Magicjay, I sent you a similar question in PM but never got a reply. Also find it's sometimes allowed, sometimes not.
NP2327/08/2019 14:05

Magicjay, I sent you a similar question in PM but never got a reply. Also …Magicjay, I sent you a similar question in PM but never got a reply. Also find it's sometimes allowed, sometimes not.

I'll find your message and reply later. I don't think i've seen it yet.
magicjay198621/08/2019 23:00

Evening Got some examples?

Hi Jay

Mentioned this last week and the deal that was deleted has been reposted by the same person. The deal is the single price butbuy two but you can buy one at Asda for the same price.

hotukdeals.com/dea…106
Edited by: "eslick" 29th Aug 2019
eslick29/08/2019 08:37

Hi JayMentioned this last week and the deal that was deleted has been …Hi JayMentioned this last week and the deal that was deleted has been reposted by the same person. The deal is the single price butbuy two but you can buy one at Asda for the same price. https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/pyrex-glass-bowl-10l-2-at-amazon449np-3286106#comment-38355554

Morning I'll put the same message in the thread but it wasn't deleted because you have to buy two. It was removed because when it was shared it did not mention the minimum order of 2. So the heat wasn't necessarily for that price. Same price elsewhere wouldn't have us remove a deal especially when this is available to order online and with Prime benefits.
Plus the Asda listing is out of stock online and is an add-on item where you have to spend £15.
jamie1529/08/2019 14:13

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/2-free-ice-creams-at-thorntons-via-o2-priority-3256426https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/free-scoop-of-ice-cream-for-you-and-your-friend-at-thorntons-from-o2-priority-3285854@magicjay1986 surely the old thread should just be bumped instead?

As a general rule we don't over bump stuff. So some things can be shared again if enough time has passed.
magicjay198629/08/2019 14:16

As a general rule we don't over bump stuff. So some things can be shared …As a general rule we don't over bump stuff. So some things can be shared again if enough time has passed.

It just seems a shame as the deal is on its last week now. Anyway, thanks for the reply
From comments in this deal, most items you csn get cheaper elsewhere, so I expired as per the new rules, yet it has just been unexpired by an editor
hotukdeals.com/dea…047
MrSwitch12/09/2019 13:57

From comments in this deal, most items you csn get cheaper elsewhere, so I …From comments in this deal, most items you csn get cheaper elsewhere, so I expired as per the new rules, yet it has just been unexpired by an editorhttps://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/flash-sale-sitewide-at-lenovo-computers-laptops-mobiles-tablets-at-lenovo-3293047

tried reporting it as well and it was taken care of
eslick12/09/2019 14:18

MrSwitch12/09/2019 14:18

Yes, the "we've taken care of it." is the most frustrating message as it inevitably means nothing has happened without explanation.
eslick12/09/2019 14:18

MrSwitch12/09/2019 13:57

From comments in this deal, most items you csn get cheaper elsewhere, so I …From comments in this deal, most items you csn get cheaper elsewhere, so I expired as per the new rules, yet it has just been unexpired by an editorhttps://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/flash-sale-sitewide-at-lenovo-computers-laptops-mobiles-tablets-at-lenovo-3293047

I'm confused as to what the issue is guys. It's an active deal with up to 15% off, wasn't that the purpose of the deal post in the first place?

I wouldn't even mind, it's not even a deal that's actually cold or bad and there's clearly an example of something on there that's doing quite well, as is seen [HERE]. I just personally found it confusing, as I'm sure are others who scroll on by that it's expired when its actually not.

(if there was an issue, it's that I'd personally have had it in voucher codes )
BuzzDuraband12/09/2019 14:31

I'm confused as to what the issue is guys. It's an active deal with up to …I'm confused as to what the issue is guys. It's an active deal with up to 15% off, wasn't that the purpose of the deal post in the first place? I wouldn't even mind, it's not even a deal that's actually cold or bad and there's clearly an example of something on there that's doing quite well, as is seen [HERE]. I just personally found it confusing, as I'm sure are others who scroll on by that it's expired when its actually not.(if there was an issue, it's that I'd personally have had it in voucher codes )

hit the nail on the head it should be in vouchers, but so many vouchers end up in deals maybe there needs to be an additional rule for that.
BuzzDuraband12/09/2019 14:31

I'm confused as to what the issue is guys. It's an active deal with up to …I'm confused as to what the issue is guys. It's an active deal with up to 15% off, wasn't that the purpose of the deal post in the first place? I wouldn't even mind, it's not even a deal that's actually cold or bad and there's clearly an example of something on there that's doing quite well, as is seen [HERE]. I just personally found it confusing, as I'm sure are others who scroll on by that it's expired when its actually not.(if there was an issue, it's that I'd personally have had it in voucher codes )

I was told moderators would read the comments, and act if the deals in the op can be found cheaper, some of the deals in the description can be found cheaper.

Hence why it should be expired in my opinion.

It doesn't really matter that much, and I'll look a bit harder next time before posting a voucher, can you move it to vouchers please, or ask one of your mod mateys? Tia
Edited by: "MrSwitch" 12th Sep 2019
hotukdeals.com/dea…728

Cheaper through MSE
Reported and was told after quidco the deal is £15.75 so cheaper than MSE

Firstly, use the MSE one alongside Quidco and it goes down to £8.75 (info is in the comments way before I reported it), secondly thought cashback wasn't taken into account for deals, so how is that deal market leading?
Edited by: "julieallen" 18th Sep 2019
so apparently, as its 361° it can stay.
@magicjay1986 how is it market leading when it clearly isn't?
Can non market leading deals stay now, as long as they aren't noticed until after they have been voted on?
julieallen18/09/2019 00:55

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/virgin-media-100mbps-broadband-phone-2575pm-x-12-months-total-cost-309-1575-after-quidco-cashback-3295728Cheaper through MSEReported and was told after quidco the deal is £15.75 so cheaper than MSEFirstly, use the MSE one alongside Quidco and it goes down to £8.75 (info is in the comments way before I reported it), secondly thought cashback wasn't taken into account for deals, so how is that deal market leading?

Evening. Looking at the two threads I can see why there was confusion because of the mention of Quidco and the fact the MSE offer was based on bill credit (which is fine to be mentioned). Do you happen to know (as I can't see it) if the MSE offer went live today or before?
It went live yesterday I believe
I'm not sure what the confusion was though, the mod clearly said it was fine to stay as quidco took the price down to less than the MSE deal, then that it was ok to stay as it had already been voted hot by people. Surely a cheaper deal for the exact same product would be voted hotter, so that one, as it wasn't market leading, should have been removed?
magicjay198618/09/2019 20:34

Evening. Looking at the two threads I can see why there was confusion …Evening. Looking at the two threads I can see why there was confusion because of the mention of Quidco and the fact the MSE offer was based on bill credit (which is fine to be mentioned). Do you happen to know (as I can't see it) if the MSE offer went live today or before?

So are you not going to answer the questions?

How come these 2 deals are allowed in deals when they aren't available yet?

hotukdeals.com/dea…761

hotukdeals.com/dea…924

Also all the other 'coming soon' deals, like ebay discounts, upcoming sales etc yet I posted a plusnet deal going live tomorrow (landing page in place and linked to), and it was removed because it isn't available yet?
Edited by: "julieallen" 24th Sep 2019
julieallen24/09/2019 21:08

So are you not going to answer the questions?How come these 2 deals are …So are you not going to answer the questions?How come these 2 deals are allowed in deals when they aren't available yet?https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/argos-7-day-up-to-50-off-toys-promotion-eg-zinc-hover-shoes-from-29999-to-just-14999-vtech-grow-go-ride-on-from-60-to-30-3298761https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lol-surprise-bubbly-surprise-at-argos-starts-wednesday-3298924Also all the other 'coming soon' deals, like ebay discounts, upcoming sales etc yet I posted a plusnet deal going live tomorrow (landing page in place and linked to), and it was removed because it isn't available yet?

It's because OP of original post was a HUKD staff member so Argos probably submitted the deal to HUKD. As there is evidence it would be allowed.
looks like the mods have given up on this thread.
julieallen02/10/2019 10:26

looks like the mods have given up on this thread.

It's only been a week
julieallen24/09/2019 21:08

So are you not going to answer the questions?How come these 2 deals are …So are you not going to answer the questions?How come these 2 deals are allowed in deals when they aren't available yet?https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/argos-7-day-up-to-50-off-toys-promotion-eg-zinc-hover-shoes-from-29999-to-just-14999-vtech-grow-go-ride-on-from-60-to-30-3298761https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lol-surprise-bubbly-surprise-at-argos-starts-wednesday-3298924Also all the other 'coming soon' deals, like ebay discounts, upcoming sales etc yet I posted a plusnet deal going live tomorrow (landing page in place and linked to), and it was removed because it isn't available yet?

They were both confirmed. We received a heads up from Argos so this was our source. If when we move a member thread they have the opportunity to provide further information which could keep the thread in deals if we're happy the deal is going ahead.
magicjay198602/10/2019 13:46

They were both confirmed. We received a heads up from Argos so this was …They were both confirmed. We received a heads up from Argos so this was our source. If when we move a member thread they have the opportunity to provide further information which could keep the thread in deals if we're happy the deal is going ahead.

This is what the mod team said

this is currently not available to order.

as the reason it was removed, note removed, not moved to misc or anything. I wasn't asked for further information at that point, just told it had been removed.

The argos deal wasn't available to order, ebay codes posted the day before aren't available to order, yet they are ok just because a mod posted them? Does my deal history suggest I make deals up?

Also, you still haven't answered about the Virgin deal, are non market leading deals allowed now as long as they have been voted on as the mod suggested? Is quidco taken into account as the mod suggested when looking at if something is market leading?
julieallen02/10/2019 18:33

This is what the mod team saidthis is currently not available to order.as …This is what the mod team saidthis is currently not available to order.as the reason it was removed, note removed, not moved to misc or anything. I wasn't asked for further information at that point, just told it had been removed.The argos deal wasn't available to order, ebay codes posted the day before aren't available to order, yet they are ok just because a mod posted them? Does my deal history suggest I make deals up? Also, you still haven't answered about the Virgin deal, are non market leading deals allowed now as long as they have been voted on as the mod suggested? Is quidco taken into account as the mod suggested when looking at if something is market leading?

its okay when its an advert, indepenence on deals is key we are told but adverts are rife on here now, dont even look at any deals from the site now and putting deals on the big hitter who would get a penny reduction massive heat just shows how bad things have become.
Edited by: "eslick" 3rd Oct 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions