Expired

New Ryzen 5 setup performance issues. Need help.

Found 7th Aug 2017
OK got the Ryzen 5 1600 and 16gb ram (3200mhz) and MSI Gaming plus X370. I also bought an Acer g277hu 1440p monitor.

Installed CPU/ram/mobo and hard drives and 1060gtx 6gb.(didn't format my win 10 sad just plugged in)

Now when on bf1 and I'm getting big FPS drops, low at 28 (settings on high with bottom two settings mmxa or whatever they're turned off) was getting over 60 fps at 1080p with ultra and everything on, using old i5 2500k. I noticed that in the BIOS the ram is running at 2100mhz not 3200mhz (ram.is Trident rgb 2 x 8gb in slot 2 and 4 like it says in the manual)

Obviously the new monitor would put pressure on the gpu and fps will drop but I turned settings to high with the the two anti aliasing ones switched to off.

I KNOW IM RAMBLING BUT THE BIOS IS JUST A MILLION OPTIONS.

HELP!
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
A couple of things.

1. Make sure you're on BIOs 7A33v53 or above. The important change is the Updated AGESA Code 1.0.0.6 which improves memory comparability.

Useful Ryzen article here.

2. Reinstall Windows especially as you've moved from Intel to AMD so there is likely to be many Intel driver remnants causing issues.
Original Poster Banned
OK I went into BIOS and selected 3200mhz for the memory and it has helped, the drops are less although still happen.

There is an MSI app in windows that lets me increase the CPU clock frequency. What can I go to on the stock cooler without burning or damaging anything?
Original Poster Banned
PhoenixRising1 h, 2 m ago

A couple of things.1. Make sure you're on BIOs 7A33v53 or above. The …A couple of things.1. Make sure you're on BIOs 7A33v53 or above. The important change is the Updated AGESA Code 1.0.0.6 which improves memory comparability.Useful Ryzen article here.2. Reinstall Windows especially as you've moved from Intel to AMD so there is likely to be many Intel driver remnants causing issues.

Dude the article looks awesome, will read in the morning when reinstalling windows 10.
Does changing the graphical settings affect the minimum FPS figures?

If so then it's likely your new screen. You don't give details of your old one but if it has, say, twice the resolution then big performance drops wouldn't be unexpected.
Just run it at 1080p and compare performance first, any higher resolution will experience a massive performance drop guaranteed.

If that's bad too then it must be misconfiguration causing it (reinstall and reset your graphics card drivers and settings is a good step to add).
If performance at 1080p is what you would expect and all ok, then compare your build and performance with similar benchmarks found online.

Tbh it does sound a bit low for 1440p at that spec but hard to judge, you haven't mentioned the high/average fps in your comment.
Original Poster Banned
Hello guys,sorry I use perfoverlay.drawfps 1 to give me the fps in bf1 on my 1080p monitor with i5 2500k it always stayed at 60fps never higher or lower. I think it only goes to 60 using that command in the console.

Yes changing settings does affect FPS! With the anti aliasing off and hboa or something it makes a difference.

Why does the RAM not just work at 3200mhz and did I have to change it? Everything seems so complicated with overclocking. My i5 just needed a multiply setting altering.

Thanks for help will post back when trying at 1080p. I'm on my mobile at the minute.
It probably caps at 60 as thats likely the refresh rate of the monitor, e.g if you have v-sync switched on in settings to prevent screen tearing. Turn that off and you should see it increase to the power your card can handle.
Edited by: "delusion" 8th Aug 2017
Original Poster Banned
I'm back, right I've tried turning the screen res to 1080p and it went back to 60fps.

The Acer monitor is a g277hu 1440p and is a great monitor but I sit quite close and it fills my vision, dare I say it I might just go back to my HP 1080 monitor. I paid £144 for this Acer one and would be happy to get £100 a back,and it is excellent but having to step down from ultra at 1080p to high with other settings turned off isn't what I had hoped for. The 1060 cant cope at that resolution and I would need a 1070 (another £400) on top. I might try overclocking the card and see how that goes, the 1060 can gt about a 20% overclock.
Assuming your original '1080p' screen was 1920x1080 then it is almost twice the number pixels so it is quite a bit more demanding.

As an alternative you could consider a 29" 2560x1080 monitor, which is 30% more pixels than 1920x1080 so it's a bit of both, and gives you a wider field of view to boot.
Original Poster Banned
EndlessWaves24 m ago

Assuming your original '1080p' screen was 1920x1080 then it is almost …Assuming your original '1080p' screen was 1920x1080 then it is almost twice the number pixels so it is quite a bit more demanding.As an alternative you could consider a 29" 2560x1080 monitor, which is 30% more pixels than 1920x1080 so it's a bit of both, and gives you a wider field of view to boot.

Bigger monitor means even bigger eye strain. I tried overclocking the graphics card and that did help quite a bit as I switched back to ultra and only a few times did it drop, but it seems to be a drop to 22 fps then back again.

Sack it, I wanted to try 1440p to see what it was like and think if I buy a 24inch monitor that would better suit my needs, i didn't realise there would be such a difference Gumtree here comes my Acer G277hu.
Original Poster Banned
Right I'm selling my Ryzen 5 1600 plus the motherboard, I'm going back to Intel i5 7600k!

Got all the paperwork and the CPU and motherboard cost about 280. Think I will go on gumtree for £230. Does that sound a decent price. Its less than a week old.

I want a gigabyte board, there is just too many settings with this MSI and Ryzen. Its doing my head in.

I sold the monitor so am back on my beloved HP 2310i.

EDIT looks like the Intel i5 doesn't support 3200mhz without having to alter something in the BIOS memory settings so that will be getting sold too. I paid £ 485 ish in total, do you think £435 would be a good price for gumtree?
Edited by: "Graham1979" 10th Aug 2017
Graham197910th Aug

Right I'm selling my Ryzen 5 1600 plus the motherboard, I'm going back to …Right I'm selling my Ryzen 5 1600 plus the motherboard, I'm going back to Intel i5 7600k!Got all the paperwork and the CPU and motherboard cost about 280. Think I will go on gumtree for £230. Does that sound a decent price. Its less than a week old.I want a gigabyte board, there is just too many settings with this MSI and Ryzen. Its doing my head in.I sold the monitor so am back on my beloved HP 2310i.EDIT looks like the Intel i5 doesn't support 3200mhz without having to alter something in the BIOS memory settings so that will be getting sold too. I paid £ 485 ish in total, do you think £435 would be a good price for gumtree?

Did you reinstall windows????

i'll buy it off you if you want to go back to intel... where are you based??
Original Poster Banned
Well after reinstalling Windows 10 as a fresh install the problems with drops in performance stopped. I also updated the chipset drivers and the problems have disappeared, updated all software. Still getting used to AMD but dare I say it I have gone from hating it to quite liking it.
Graham19791 h, 19 m ago

Well after reinstalling Windows 10 as a fresh install the problems with …Well after reinstalling Windows 10 as a fresh install the problems with drops in performance stopped. I also updated the chipset drivers and the problems have disappeared, updated all software. Still getting used to AMD but dare I say it I have gone from hating it to quite liking it.

lesson learnt.... and btw its now proven Ryzen are the way forward...

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions