New sofa - cat scratching

Posted 31st Jan
Hi

We are looking to buy a new sofa as our current one is ruined from out 2 cats.

The don’t seem to purposely scratch it but if they are having a mad half hour and run across it their claws sometimes pull it.

Also they knead it a lot - I try to clip their claws often.

Does anyone have any ideas of what fabric Is the best for cat owners?

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
We purchased a new sofa a couple of years back, thought we’d locked him (cat) out of the lounge to find him having a right old crack at destroying the arm of the sofa in the middle of the night. My other half did a stellar job of repairing the damage (it has almost a denim feel to the fabric) but we decided to put a throw across the sofa that we picked up from The Range, that left him perplexed and he hasn’t bothered since. This is a cat that has historically speaking obliterated 4 or 5 sofas. You could also try Feliway, but you really do have to keep on top of it eg by spraying the sofa regularly.
Edited by: "joeydeacon" 31st Jan
joeydeacon31/01/2020 08:03

We purchased a new sofa a couple of years back, thought we’d locked him ( …We purchased a new sofa a couple of years back, thought we’d locked him (cat) out of the lounge to find him having a right old crack at destroying the arm of the sofa in the middle of the night. My other half did a stellar job of repairing the damage (it has almost a denim feel to the fabric) but we decided to put a throw across the sofa that we picked up from The Range, that left him perplexed and he hasn’t bothered since. This is a cat that has historically speaking obliterated 4 or 5 sofas. You could also try Feliway, but you really do have to keep on top of it eg by spraying the sofa regularly.

Oh no! It’s upsetting isn’t it.
We tried at first not letting them in but it’s hard to shut the door and get them out of the living room when the kids run in and out.
I thought maybe leather and get a throw and encourage them just to sit on that but it will be easier said than done
My colleague at work has a cat and 2 dogs, she just uses a large throw to cover the sofas, why not just do that? not a thin one, one of those thick ones
Like said above I recommend buying a thrown and putting it over the sofa, I do it with my 2 dogs and it doesn’t get damaged anymore they just sleep on it now
punji31/01/2020 08:30

My colleague at work has a cat and 2 dogs, she just uses a large throw to …My colleague at work has a cat and 2 dogs, she just uses a large throw to cover the sofas, why not just do that? not a thin one, one of those thick ones

Yes I think I will I just wasn’t sure if the leather would attract them to scratch or not. I don’t think I’d find a throw big enough to cover all of it
Lauraaa31/01/2020 08:34

Yes I think I will I just wasn’t sure if the leather would attract them to …Yes I think I will I just wasn’t sure if the leather would attract them to scratch or not. I don’t think I’d find a throw big enough to cover all of it

Check your local market stalls, I got mine from there and it is huge and was only £8. Really fluffy too
Arto31/01/2020 08:35

Check your local market stalls, I got mine from there and it is huge and …Check your local market stalls, I got mine from there and it is huge and was only £8. Really fluffy too

Thank you I will do we have quite a good market so should have some. Do you cover it all or just where they lay?
Lauraaa31/01/2020 08:36

Thank you I will do we have quite a good market so should have some. Do …Thank you I will do we have quite a good market so should have some. Do you cover it all or just where they lay?

Depends what mood their in that day really, mostly cover the full thing
I’d get two, invade you need to wash one, that way the sofa is always covered
An alternative could be getting an Ikea couch and just purchasing extra covers so that in a few years you can just change it over and it would look brand new again. Cheaper than replacing the whole couch. We have the Kivik and it's so comfy.
I put a double sided tape on the arms of my sofa, also try more scratching posts around the house for them to get their fix
Try the cardboard scratch mats my car loves to have a good old claw at it specially when we sprinkle catnip on it
Leather works well.
Have you got a decent scratch post ?

If not u recommend the ancol fat boy scratching post. It's around £35 and worth every penny. My cat gives ours a good going every day and it's just starting to wear now and it's over 5 years old.

It's much bigger and fatter than the usual ones and worth every penny.
Available at Amazon. The range pets at home and if you Google more places will sell it.
Search on Amazon "Smart Cat The Ultimate Scratching Post" its £29.99 and in stock on 6/feb/2020. Highly recommended, ***** from 9342 reviews...
I'm afraid my method may not go down well but it's old-fashioned and works.

I'm not talking about hitting or harming the cat(s) in any way, shape or form but a good stern, LOUD "No!" (not a weak, 'disappointed' "Nooooo...") EVERY time you catch them instills fear in doing it. After a while, our cat would just freeze if she were about to have a 'go' and a long "Ahhhhhh!" noise before would have the ears down. She'd just stop, think "Meh" for a sec then walk away. Just like a dog, it's about training right from wrong. Of course, I'd reward her with a bit of fuss afterwards! She was a much loved Puss, lived to almost 20 and I miss her dearly.

I wouldn't get leather. Reading your post reminded me of something not too long ago. I visited someone for an evening meal and she had just gotten a new cat. It was; as they all are; scatty as hell - tearing about the place like it was on speed. I noticed she had two cream leather sofas and the legs and arms on both were shredded! I jokingly remarked that "the new cat likes your sofas" and she replied "yes, I'm going to have to replace them soon." We were discussing the topic, referencing cat-scratch posts etc. and "kitty" had suspiciously disappeared. Whilst talking away, you could hear 'pluck, pluck' noises coming from the stairs. Guess who had hung his leather jacket on the stairs banister post???
I wouldn't go for leather. Our cats loved attacking our leather sofas but haven't touched the material ones that replaced them.
A few more scratching posts - lightly sprinkled with catnip may help.
Phsycronix31/01/2020 11:26

I'm afraid my method may not go down well but it's old-fashioned and …I'm afraid my method may not go down well but it's old-fashioned and works.I'm not talking about hitting or harming the cat(s) in any way, shape or form but a good stern, LOUD "No!" (not a weak, 'disappointed' "Nooooo...") EVERY time you catch them instills fear in doing it. After a while, our cat would just freeze if she were about to have a 'go' and a long "Ahhhhhh!" noise before would have the ears down. She'd just stop, think "Meh" for a sec then walk away. Just like a dog, it's about training right from wrong. Of course, I'd reward her with a bit of fuss afterwards! She was a much loved Puss, lived to almost 20 and I miss her dearly.I wouldn't get leather. Reading your post reminded me of something not too long ago. I visited someone for an evening meal and she had just gotten a new cat. It was; as they all are; scatty as hell - tearing about the place like it was on speed. I noticed she had two cream leather sofas and the legs and arms on both were shredded! I jokingly remarked that "the new cat likes your sofas" and she replied "yes, I'm going to have to replace them soon." We were discussing the topic, referencing cat-scratch posts etc. and "kitty" had suspiciously disappeared. Whilst talking away, you could hear 'pluck, pluck' noises coming from the stairs. Guess who had hung his leather jacket on the stairs banister post???

Yeah this is what I did, combined with buying a scratching post and encouraging her to use it with catnip and so forth.
Phsycronix31/01/2020 11:26

I'm afraid my method may not go down well but it's old-fashioned and …I'm afraid my method may not go down well but it's old-fashioned and works.I'm not talking about hitting or harming the cat(s) in any way, shape or form but a good stern, LOUD "No!" (not a weak, 'disappointed' "Nooooo...") EVERY time you catch them instills fear in doing it. After a while, our cat would just freeze if she were about to have a 'go' and a long "Ahhhhhh!" noise before would have the ears down. She'd just stop, think "Meh" for a sec then walk away. Just like a dog, it's about training right from wrong. Of course, I'd reward her with a bit of fuss afterwards! She was a much loved Puss, lived to almost 20 and I miss her dearly.I wouldn't get leather. Reading your post reminded me of something not too long ago. I visited someone for an evening meal and she had just gotten a new cat. It was; as they all are; scatty as hell - tearing about the place like it was on speed. I noticed she had two cream leather sofas and the legs and arms on both were shredded! I jokingly remarked that "the new cat likes your sofas" and she replied "yes, I'm going to have to replace them soon." We were discussing the topic, referencing cat-scratch posts etc. and "kitty" had suspiciously disappeared. Whilst talking away, you could hear 'pluck, pluck' noises coming from the stairs. Guess who had hung his leather jacket on the stairs banister post???

It’s worth a try, thank you.
I am going to buy them new beds and a new scratching pole one of the ones mentioned it this pole.
Your poor jacket!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants