New test & protect app for NHS Scotland

Posted 10th Sep 2020
Don’t know if this has been shared yet but the new test and protect app is available now for those living or visiting Scotland should anyone want to download it.

apple

android

App blurb:

Help Scotland keep the spread of coronavirus under control by downloading and using the free Protect Scotland app from NHS Scotland’s Test and Protect service.

Using the app is entirely voluntary. When you use the app, you will be alerted if you have been in close contact with another app user who has tested positive for coronavirus. If you test positive and you enter the unique code sent to you into the app, it will anonymously warn other app users whom you have been in close contact with.

Using Bluetooth, the app will search for other devices with the Protect Scotland app installed, which are within 2m of your phone. You don’t need to have a WiFi connection. The app uses a very small amount of your mobile phone data.

Once you’ve downloaded the app, encourage your friends, family and colleagues to do so too. The more people who download and use the Protect Scotland app, the more likely we are to keep coronavirus under control. . The benefits of using the app are:

Speeds up the process of identifying and notifying people that have been at risk of catching coronavirus, particularly of unknown contacts
Slows the spread of the virus
Reduces the likelihood of further lockdowns
Helps protect the health service, your family and friends, yourself and the people of Scotland

Ultimately, you can help to stop the spread of coronavirus in Scotland by downloading and using the Protect Scotland app.

Privacy and Data

The Protect Scotland app is designed to protect the privacy of all users. It doesn’t store or share any personally identifiable information, like your name or address. Nobody can track your location by using the app or tell who you are.

You can remove the app from your device at any time, and all the data stored on your phone will be deleted
Community Updates
Misc
19 Comments
Oh neat is uses the Apple and Google technology rather than the UK government saying we can do better than the tech giants and then ditch the app since it doesn’t work

Got good reviews and makes it clear they don’t collect any data from the service it’s just to notify you when you’ve been in contact with someone
KeyboardKitten10/09/2020 10:23

Oh neat is uses the Apple and Google technology rather than the UK …Oh neat is uses the Apple and Google technology rather than the UK government saying we can do better than the tech giants and then ditch the app since it doesn’t work Got good reviews and makes it clear they don’t collect any data from the service it’s just to notify you when you’ve been in contact with someone

Curious to see what they come out with. It would be better if we could have a UK wide one!
KeyboardKitten10/09/2020 10:23

Oh neat is uses the Apple and Google technology rather than the UK …Oh neat is uses the Apple and Google technology rather than the UK government saying we can do better than the tech giants and then ditch the app since it doesn’t work Got good reviews and makes it clear they don’t collect any data from the service it’s just to notify you when you’ve been in contact with someone

Nat_urally10/09/2020 10:48

Curious to see what they come out with. It would be better if we could …Curious to see what they come out with. It would be better if we could have a UK wide one!

Who do you trust less. The Government, or Technology behemoths that exist to siphon private data and resell it to other unknown corporations, and other Governmental agencies, not just here but around the World?
Edited by: "PAISAL" 10th Sep

Curious to see what they come out with. It would be better if we could …Curious to see what they come out with. It would be better if we could have a UK wide one!

As an NHS first responder I'm currently testing the NHS track and trace app in England. Seems alright, Can use it to check into some places, Report symptoms etc.. Had no alerts yet though. Although does suggest I'm in a "low risk area" .
PAISAL10/09/2020 13:10

Who do you trust less. The Government, or Technology behemoths that exist …Who do you trust less. The Government, or Technology behemoths that exist to siphon private data and resell it to other unknown corporations, and other Governmental agencies, not just here but around the World?

Yeah because all of our data isn’t all out there already anyway...
I fail to see your point. This is a government app.
.MUFC.10/09/2020 13:20

As an NHS first responder I'm currently testing the NHS track and trace …As an NHS first responder I'm currently testing the NHS track and trace app in England. Seems alright, Can use it to check into some places, Report symptoms etc.. Had no alerts yet though. Although does suggest I'm in a "low risk area" .

That’s cool. If alerts are based on other users being in close proximity then I’d guess you maybe don’t get any alerts at the moment if usage isn’t “public” yet?
Also - scary job in these times! Hope you’re doing alright
Nat_urally10/09/2020 13:33

That’s cool. If alerts are based on other users being in close proximity t …That’s cool. If alerts are based on other users being in close proximity then I’d guess you maybe don’t get any alerts at the moment if usage isn’t “public” yet? Also - scary job in these times! Hope you’re doing alright

Thanks, My area hasn't had many cases, since becoming a first responder I've had no alerts and I'm always on standby! I guess no calls are a good thing tbh.

On my Responder app I can see there are quite a few responders in my area and hopefully some of them have the contact tracing app too etc.. It doesn't seem to have impacted my battery life much either.
Nat_urally10/09/2020 13:31

Yeah because all of our data isn’t all out there already anyway...I fail t …Yeah because all of our data isn’t all out there already anyway...I fail to see your point. This is a government app.

No. All of our data isn’t out there already. It will be if we’re careless.

It was a rhetorical question though.

I wasn’t saying I’d trust a government app more.
Edited by: "PAISAL" 10th Sep

It would be better if we could have a UK wide one!

That would be inappropriate and reduce effectiveness. Different nations around the world, with different cultures and geographical environment all have their own apps. You wouldn't expect an app covering all of the Scandinavian countries, or a USA/Mexico shared app just because they are neighbouring countries. The Scotland app is good and everyone should be encouraged to promote and use it (voluntary usage of course).
noahsdad26/09/2020 12:01

That would be inappropriate and reduce effectiveness. Different nations …That would be inappropriate and reduce effectiveness. Different nations around the world, with different cultures and geographical environment all have their own apps. You wouldn't expect an app covering all of the Scandinavian countries, or a USA/Mexico shared app just because they are neighbouring countries. The Scotland app is good and everyone should be encouraged to promote and use it (voluntary usage of course).

Did you actually come hunt me down to find my past posts to continue the argument that I gave up on with you days ago? Dog with a bone.

You’ve had like 3 days to understand what I’m saying. It’s a simple app, it doesn’t matter what the geographical and population densities are. The info is the same - the track and trace is the same whether you’re on a desolate island or the centre of Mumbai. (THAT is what you’re not getting)
You’re letting your opinion that Scotland is better off on its own cloud your ability to see something so simple that isn’t even remotely related.
Nat_urally26/09/2020 12:29

Did you actually come hunt me down to find my past posts to continue the …Did you actually come hunt me down to find my past posts to continue the argument that I gave up on with you days ago? Dog with a bone.You’ve had like 3 days to understand what I’m saying. It’s a simple app, it doesn’t matter what the geographical and population densities are. The info is the same - the track and trace is the same whether you’re on a desolate island or the centre of Mumbai. (THAT is what you’re not getting) You’re letting your opinion that Scotland is better off on its own cloud your ability to see something so simple that isn’t even remotely related.

No, I'm not in any other deal posts discussions your on and that's misleading. If you keep posting this same comment that Scotland should not have it's own app like pretty much every other nation does in the world, you should expect to be challenged. I have nothing to add, I feel I have respectfully demonstrated well to yourself why a shared app would have been silly and inappropriate. I wonder if you also feel the previous given examples USA/Mexico should also have a shared app? How about all the Scandinavian countries, should they have a shared app?
Edited by: "noahsdad" 26th Sep
noahsdad26/09/2020 13:39

No, I'm not in any other deal posts discussions your on and that's …No, I'm not in any other deal posts discussions your on and that's misleading. If you keep posting this same comment that Scotland should not have it's own app like pretty much every other nation does in the world, you should expect to be challenged. I have nothing to add, I feel I have respectfully demonstrated well to yourself why a shared app would have been silly and inappropriate. I wonder if you also feel the previous given examples USA/Mexico should also have a shared app? How about all the Scandinavian countries, should they have a shared app?

Literally none of your points are relevant though. They’re all relevant to having different approaches to lockdowns and rules ...yes. But an app with a really basic single function - makes zero difference. It’s like saying every country needs its own Facebook app - it performs the same non geographic related function all over. You’ve demonstrated nothing.
So yeah, in your attempting to be facetious and asking if I think all Scandinavian countries or USA/mexico should have separate apps - you’ve failed. Because yeah, there’s no detriment to that at all. And precisely zero benefit to them being separated.
You’re not challenging me at all, just showing me you can’t step out your box. And not actually replying to any of my points at all.

Exactly what does the app do that you appear to think differs country to country? What exact approach within the app is at all a detriment and not useful to both countries? Considering that the aim of both is to contact trace. You’ve failed to answer that at all. Just hiding behind completely irrelevant demographics.
Nat_urally26/09/2020 14:17

Literally none of your points are relevant though. They’re all relevant to …Literally none of your points are relevant though. They’re all relevant to having different approaches to lockdowns and rules ...yes. But an app with a really basic single function - makes zero difference. It’s like saying every country needs its own Facebook app - it performs the same non geographic related function all over. You’ve demonstrated nothing. So yeah, in your attempting to be facetious and asking if I think all Scandinavian countries or USA/mexico should have separate apps - you’ve failed. Because yeah, there’s no detriment to that at all. And precisely zero benefit to them being separated. You’re not challenging me at all, just showing me you can’t step out your box. And not actually replying to any of my points at all.Exactly what does the app do that you appear to think differs country to country? What exact approach within the app is at all a detriment and not useful to both countries? Considering that the aim of both is to contact trace. You’ve failed to answer that at all. Just hiding behind completely irrelevant demographics.

Then how come BBC news have just reported live on TV, there are issues with that NHS England & Wales app that only impact England based persons? NHS Covid-19: App users unable to input negative testsbbc.co.uk/new…526

Why is this not happening on the Ireland or Scotland, or Norway or USA app for instance?

I'd be happy to engage with you further if you could answer my salient questions, rather than dance around/ignore them.
noahsdad26/09/2020 14:25

Then how come BBC news have just reported live on TV, there are issues …Then how come BBC news have just reported live on TV, there are issues with that NHS England & Wales app that only impact England based persons? NHS Covid-19: App users unable to input negative tests https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54307526Why is this not happening on the Ireland or Scotland, or Norway or USA app for instance?I'd be happy to engage with you further if you could answer my salient questions, rather than dance around/ignore them.

What exactly have I danced around? Just because I called you out on not actually answering my questions doesn’t mean you have to throw back at me like you’re two. It’s also fairly ironic for you to say that whilst simultaneously ignoring the two questions I specifically asked you.

What you’re pointing out there is a technical issue - stuff happens. It’s neither foreseeable or a REASON to have a separate app.
Nat_urally26/09/2020 14:38

What exactly have I danced around? Just because I called you out on not …What exactly have I danced around? Just because I called you out on not actually answering my questions doesn’t mean you have to throw back at me like you’re two. It’s also fairly ironic for you to say that whilst simultaneously ignoring the two questions I specifically asked you.What you’re pointing out there is a technical issue - stuff happens. It’s neither foreseeable or a REASON to have a separate app.

I see. I have answered all your questions. You are the one claiming that the UK should have the same app to cover 4 countries, but failing to justify why. Its up to you to prove why every single nation around the world is pretty much wrong to have their own app, and you have been (a) reluctant, and (b) failed, to do so thus far.

A technicality perhaps with the England/Wales app, say I even agree with that, it doesn't change the fact that its a technicality on an App that does not apply to Scotland or impact Scotland's Covid response (thank goodness).

How about we just agree to disagree now. You are in the 000.01% that feels a single UK app is the way forward for whatever reason, and with the rest of the world.
Edited by: "noahsdad" 26th Sep
noahsdad26/09/2020 14:53

I see. I have answered all your questions. You are the one claiming that …I see. I have answered all your questions. You are the one claiming that the UK should have the same app to cover 4 countries, but failing to justify why. Its up to you to prove why every single nation around the world is pretty much wrong to have their own app, and you have been (a) reluctant, and (b) failed, to do so thus far.A technicality perhaps with the England/Wales app, say I even agree with that, it doesn't change the fact that its a technicality on an App that does not apply to Scotland or impact Scotland's Covid response (thank goodness).How about we just agree to disagree now. You are in the 000.01% that feels a single UK app is the way forward for whatever reason, and with the rest of the world.

I have explained, over and over and over again. It’s an app with one function that isn’t at all geographically related - tell me why that one function needs a separate platform For each country??

One function. One app.

I’ll just simplify it for you, I have repeated that over and over to you and you’re yet to tell me why you think the same function needs to be separated based on location.
Nat_urally26/09/2020 15:09

I have explained, over and over and over again. It’s an app with one f …I have explained, over and over and over again. It’s an app with one function that isn’t at all geographically related - tell me why that one function needs a separate platform For each country?? One function. One app.I’ll just simplify it for you, I have repeated that over and over to you and you’re yet to tell me why you think the same function needs to be separated based on location.

Nothing to add. No further comment. Stay safe.
Nat_urally26/09/2020 12:29

Did you actually come hunt me down to find my past posts to continue the …Did you actually come hunt me down to find my past posts to continue the argument that I gave up on with you days ago? Dog with a bone.You’ve had like 3 days to understand what I’m saying. It’s a simple app, it doesn’t matter what the geographical and population densities are. The info is the same - the track and trace is the same whether you’re on a desolate island or the centre of Mumbai. (THAT is what you’re not getting) You’re letting your opinion that Scotland is better off on its own cloud your ability to see something so simple that isn’t even remotely related.

This app is going to get us through this awful virus. It's had a shaky start but is now much better.

Don't waste your time arguing with them. They've already had a suspension. Clearly got a bone to pick, not worth the hassle entertaining. They will always be people that think they know best.
Rambolicks27/09/2020 00:45

This app is going to get us through this awful virus. It's had a shaky …This app is going to get us through this awful virus. It's had a shaky start but is now much better. Don't waste your time arguing with them. They've already had a suspension. Clearly got a bone to pick, not worth the hassle entertaining. They will always be people that think they know best.

Brick wall anyway!
Post a comment
@
    Text