New to gaming PS4 pro or Xbox x ?

Found 20th Nov 2017
As title
I haven’t bought a console in years and want to buy one this Black Friday if a good deal comes up for £299 with a couple of good games .
Which console for a newbie ?
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Ps4
If you haven't bought a console in years you might be overwhelmed playing on either machine. £300 gets you a PS4 Pro + games, you won't get a Xbox X for that price.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 20th Nov 2017
Honestly, there’s no easy answer. I have both Xbox one x and PS4. I haven’t played on the PS4 for about a year and only ever played the last of us and uncharted. My bro/friends have Xbox and I also prefer the Xbox controller. I suppose you can’t wrong with either but for me Xbox will always be my preferred.
Just for the long term support I’d get the PS4. Sony first party support into the ps3 went right to the wire with arguably the best game of the generation (the last of us) was released right before the new hardware. In that time Xbox hasn’t seen a decent release for a while. Though I think the Xbox is the better hardware their software offerings are pretty much none existing
What’s the Nvidia shield people are going on about ? Does that offer the same type of games and gaming ?
It’s a handheld ‘console’ like the switch. I think you can connect to tv but not sure. If you are new into gaming i would stick with either Xbox ps or switch
Just go on YT and checkout the exclusives available for each console, because at the end of the day it's the games that are important.

I went for the PS4 Pro after a decade away from gaming and don't regret it
Dannyrobbo2 h, 9 m ago

Just for the long term support I’d get the PS4. Sony first party support i …Just for the long term support I’d get the PS4. Sony first party support into the ps3 went right to the wire with arguably the best game of the generation (the last of us) was released right before the new hardware. In that time Xbox hasn’t seen a decent release for a while. Though I think the Xbox is the better hardware their software offerings are pretty much none existing

Not sure this is factually correct, both systems have exclusives, it depends what games you prefer. I think Uncharted LOOKS amazing, but I find that genre boring, Forza Horizon 3 is an XB exclusive and I love it. Horses for courses
frakison1 h, 26 m ago

Not sure this is factually correct, both systems have exclusives, it …Not sure this is factually correct, both systems have exclusives, it depends what games you prefer. I think Uncharted LOOKS amazing, but I find that genre boring, Forza Horizon 3 is an XB exclusive and I love it. Horses for courses

Mine was more about support long term. I had both ps3 and Xbox 360 and Microsoft abandoned the 360 long before Sony stopped development for the ps3 the Xbox 360 had nothing newtowards the end.
Dannyrobbo3 h, 28 m ago

Mine was more about support long term. I had both ps3 and Xbox 360 and …Mine was more about support long term. I had both ps3 and Xbox 360 and Microsoft abandoned the 360 long before Sony stopped development for the ps3 the Xbox 360 had nothing newtowards the end.

But MS supported backwards compatibility whereas Sony didn't? That's not very "long term".

Also, don't forget that games can take years to develop, exclusive "Titans" even longer, so the fact that Sony released them towards the end of life of the PS3 could simply be an indictment of their poor management (the ridiculous delays associated with Gran Tourismo being a perfect example)
Edited by: "frakison" 20th Nov 2017
frakison19 m ago

But MS supported backwards compatibility whereas Sony didn't? That's not …But MS supported backwards compatibility whereas Sony didn't? That's not very "long term".Also, don't forget that games can take years to develop, exclusive "Titans" even longer, so the fact that Sony released them towards the end of life of the PS3 could simply be an indictment of their poor management (the ridiculous delays associated with Gran Tourismo being a perfect example)

Meh, who wants to play old games. In 2013 playstation had 3 quality games from first party’s and generally support development much better even at the end of life it’s a fact and not one of those were grand tourismo. They were last of us, beyond 2 souls and god of war as well as about 13 other titles. Xbox had a new gears of war and a fable remake.

its pretty much continuing this generation too, I mean I have both consoles but playstation have way more in the pipeline in my opinion.
Dannyrobbo1 h, 41 m ago

Meh, who wants to play old games. In 2013 playstation had 3 quality games …Meh, who wants to play old games. In 2013 playstation had 3 quality games from first party’s and generally support development much better even at the end of life it’s a fact and not one of those were grand tourismo. They were last of us, beyond 2 souls and god of war as well as about 13 other titles. Xbox had a new gears of war and a fable remake.its pretty much continuing this generation too, I mean I have both consoles but playstation have way more in the pipeline in my opinion.

So you wanted them to support an outdated console but think old gen games are "meh"? That's a bit contradictory. Perhaps the reason they stopped developing old games is because people wanted to play the next gen titles??? You know, like you did??? The thing there is that all those games you quoted are the same old same old, all (to me) similar repetitive third person bore fests. Perhaps that's the thing you're missing, everyone is different
frakison9 m ago

So you wanted them to support an outdated console but think old gen games …So you wanted them to support an outdated console but think old gen games are "meh"? That's a bit contradictory. Perhaps the reason they stopped developing old games is because people wanted to play the next gen titles??? You know, like you did??? The thing there is that all those games you quoted are the same old same old, all (to me) similar repetitive third person bore fests. Perhaps that's the thing you're missing, everyone is different

Next gen didn’t come until 12 months later, I’m not saying anything other than Sony have always offered more support by their first party studios this is fact, don’t get so defensive it’s a games console not your family’s honour
Dannyrobbo1 h, 8 m ago

Next gen didn’t come until 12 months later, I’m not saying anything other t …Next gen didn’t come until 12 months later, I’m not saying anything other than Sony have always offered more support by their first party studios this is fact, don’t get so defensive it’s a games console not your family’s honour

Err, you said "in 2013", the Xbox One came out in Nov 2013!?!?

Why is offering a different opinion classed as being defensive? Surely if that's the case, you're guilty of that as you were the first one jumping to the defence of the PS when no one had slated it? It's cool to take the higher moral ground if you have it, but when you're guilty of what you accuse others of, it kinda suggests hypocrisy.

However, I agree, fanboys are sad blinkered little souls and I'm not one. The only reason I don't have a PS4 is because my mates are on Xbox and I game share, plus the only exclusive I've ever felt I missed out on was Little Big Planet, hardly a reason to buy a console.
frakison34 m ago

Err, you said "in 2013", the Xbox One came out in Nov 2013!?!? Why is …Err, you said "in 2013", the Xbox One came out in Nov 2013!?!? Why is offering a different opinion classed as being defensive? Surely if that's the case, you're guilty of that as you were the first one jumping to the defence of the PS when no one had slated it? It's cool to take the higher moral ground if you have it, but when you're guilty of what you accuse others of, it kinda suggests hypocrisy.However, I agree, fanboys are sad blinkered little souls and I'm not one. The only reason I don't have a PS4 is because my mates are on Xbox and I game share, plus the only exclusive I've ever felt I missed out on was Little Big Planet, hardly a reason to buy a console.

Sorry PS4 came out a few months later in 2014 , argument still stands though. I’d say I was pretty neutral in my reply long term support for PS4 pro and Xbox one x having the better hardware.

i never came out in defence of anything you said Sony having exclusives right at the end of life was factually incorrect which it wasn’t. I never slated either I own both so I have no reason to slate any, i gave my opinion to the guy posting around exclusives and I think other than forza (which is amazing) there hasn’t been anything but safe sequels and that trend looks to continue. There’s only sea of thieves next year that I will be buying, I mean did crackdown really deserve a sequel
Dannyrobbo27 m ago

Sorry PS4 came out a few months later in 2014 , argument still stands …Sorry PS4 came out a few months later in 2014 , argument still stands though. I’d say I was pretty neutral in my reply long term support for PS4 pro and Xbox one x having the better hardware.i never came out in defence of anything you said Sony having exclusives right at the end of life was factually incorrect which it wasn’t. I never slated either I own both so I have no reason to slate any, i gave my opinion to the guy posting around exclusives and I think other than forza (which is amazing) there hasn’t been anything but safe sequels and that trend looks to continue. There’s only sea of thieves next year that I will be buying, I mean did crackdown really deserve a sequel

Same, I'm only posting my view that the PS has far too many third person "findathon" Unchartered spin offs which bore me, so as exclusives go, yes there are more, but if you don't go for that genre, it's pointless

One thing we do agree on is Crackdown, the original was OK, the second wasnt bad, but the idea of a fully destructible environment just seems stupid. I'll grab when it goes to Games with Gold
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants