New tumble dryer leaking water

Found 28th Dec 2015
I had one of the faulty Hotpoint tumble dryers and it was replaced with another Hotpoint tumble dryer (not a condenser one) this morning. The white vent on the back of the machine goes out through a hole in the wall. I've just tried it out - it has been on for 70 minutes drying a batch of towels, however, I've just gone out to take them out of the machine and there are two puddles (about 3" wide) of water just in front/underneath of the two front corners of the machine. Does anybody have any idea what the problem is - don't really want to phone Hotpoint yet until I've heard what people possibly have to say about the water. I've used tumble dryers on and off for over 20 years now and this is the first time that I have seen this.

10 Comments

Check the venting pipe hasn't split or come away from the wall / chassis

water coming from a tumble dryer something serious about that Get the firm in

Maybe condensation coming from the venting hose due to change in temp to the freezing cold vent.

Maybe the waters there to put out any potential fires! (_;)
Srs though, check your new model & serial no, my replacement is also a potential fire risk.

perhaps the vent is blocked so the vapour stays in the machine and can't get out reforming as puddles.
have you checked that the vapour are coming out of the wall vent when the machine is drying?

Original Poster

Angel_Of_The_North

Maybe the waters there to put out any potential fires! (_;)Srs though, … Maybe the waters there to put out any potential fires! (_;)Srs though, check your new model & serial no, my replacement is also a potential fire risk.

I did check the model number and apparently it is one of the dryers that is being recalled! However, I called Hotpoint and even though I asked them to check the serial number of it, to see if it is a model after October 2015, they couldn't do that - I was just advised that they would not send out a replacement tumble dryer that was a fire hazard - so I am assuming that the serial number of my machine is for one of the models manufactured after October 2015.

Original Poster

Sophiasky

I did check the model number and apparently it is one of the dryers that … I did check the model number and apparently it is one of the dryers that is being recalled! However, I called Hotpoint and even though I asked them to check the serial number of it, to see if it is a model after October 2015, they couldn't do that - I was just advised that they would not send out a replacement tumble dryer that was a fire hazard - so I am assuming that the serial number of my machine is for one of the models manufactured after October 2015.

What have you done about your replacement dryer - seeing you say that they have given you one that is also a potential fire hazard - are they going to come back and replace this one as well? Thank you.

Sophiasky

I did check the model number and apparently it is one of the dryers that … I did check the model number and apparently it is one of the dryers that is being recalled! However, I called Hotpoint and even though I asked them to check the serial number of it, to see if it is a model after October 2015, they couldn't do that - I was just advised that they would not send out a replacement tumble dryer that was a fire hazard - so I am assuming that the serial number of my machine is for one of the models manufactured after October 2015.

Honestly wouldn't be happy with leaving it there. I'm gonna get intouch about mine, if I get any further I will post on here to let you know x

so, have you checked the vent pipe is securely attached at both ends?

Original Poster

Angel_Of_The_North

Honestly wouldn't be happy with leaving it there. I'm gonna get intouch … Honestly wouldn't be happy with leaving it there. I'm gonna get intouch about mine, if I get any further I will post on here to let you know x

I phoned Hotpoint today - the number is on the page where you enter your model and serial number. I gave the woman both numbers and she said that it was one of the recalled machines and couldn't understand why they would swap one recalled machine for another. However, she then asked me if my machine had a green sticker on it (on the inside of the door or on the back of the machine) - she said that she thought that the ones with a green sticker on them, were the machines that had now been modified. I found a small, round green sticker on the back of my machine, but I'm going to phone again tomorrow - Hotpoint customer services to check on this.

The water has stopped appearing on the floor now - I removed the old venting tube (from the old machine) before the machine turned up and forgot to put part of it back on to the new tube (before going out through the hole in the wall), so am hoping that this was the cause of the puddles on the floor. One thing that I noticed today was that whilst the machine is in use, every now and then there is a loud, horrible, screeching metallic sound as the drum rotates. I think that I read that they were going to insert a metal plate in the affected machines, quite close to the drum, so am now wondering if it is the plate rubbing against the drum as it rotates which is causing the noise. The front sides of the tumble dryer also seem really hot (hotter than other tumble dryers I've used) - especially on the front, right-hand side of the dryer, so don't know if I have a problem going on or not with it?
Post a comment
@
    Text