New TV for the World Cup

Found 6th Jun
Hi,

Looking at getting a new TV for the World Cup. Wondering what I should look for?
Want a minimum of 50 inch and 4K. My son is telling me to get a 10bit 4K but I have no idea what that means.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Community Updates
AskElectronicsTV
5 Comments
How much is your budget?
This is a very good TV with 10 bit screen.
rgbdirect.co.uk/Pro…30V
Use code SAVE50 to get £50 off. £429 for a 55 inch ultra HD TV.
Costco doing a blinding offer on a 75" for £1080 here
There's a lot of confusion surrounding '10-bit' because it can refer to several different things.

It comes from HDR, which is a new set of picture standards that allow content creator to specify wider colour and contrast ranges than before - closer to those of the real world.

HDR records it's data in 10-bit per colour because if it used the same 8-bit as existing standards similar colours would be more different, leading to issues like banding in gradients.

The hardware to reproduce the full range of HDR is still in development, so TVs currently on the market reproduce varying amounts of the HDR range. There's nothing yet that gets remotely close to the full 10-bit range. On cheaper TVs it's essentially a slightly improved version of the dynamic contrast that has been around for years, often with the same issue of going too dim in darker scenes.

Some early TVs from circa 2015 did get HDR updates but only supported an HDR 8-bit signal, which is where I believe the 'make sure it's 10-bit' meme originated. These days anything that advertises HDR will play 10-bit HDR video to the best of it's capabilities.

There are some people who want a 10-bit LCD panel, which is a different thing again. While it may make a little difference to the amount of banding on particularly wide gamut screens (although with 4K dithering I'm doubtful) it's just a tiny difference, and certainly not of any interest to the average buyer.

So basically, 10-bit is either not available, ubiquitous or unnoticeable. Either way, I'd ignore it.

If you're interested in HDR then concentrate on the hardware that makes the big difference like colour volume or real scene contrast, but it is still an expensive technology to do well.

Otherwise, it's just the same old measures of picture quality. What's the contrast like, how well does it handle motion, is it bright enough for the lighting you want to watch it under?
Thanks for the help. Don’t want to spent a fortune on a TV but if it’s a good deal i don’t mind paying the money. Looking for around the 60inch size
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants