New TV with local dimming

Found 8th Jan
Looking for advice! I'm finally after upgrading to a new 4k TV and after reading a lot(!!) of comments it sounds like for most viewing sources, local dimming is more preferable to concentrating on 10bit panel sets. With that in mind, can anyone recommend a decent TV with local dimming that's under £1k? Looking to get the most for my money as always!

Thank you!

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
20 Comments

Original Poster

Sharp72 h, 51 m ago

I would suggest this as a good place to start: …I would suggest this as a good place to start: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sony-kd49xe9005-49-smart-4k-hdr-uhd-2160p-led-tv-with-freeview-hd-874-with-code-hughes-jl-price-match-confirmed-2867207

Thanks - will have a read through. Ideally after a 55"!

It comes in 55" too, given the 49" is going for under £900 I should expect the price to be +/- £1k for the 55"

LG announced some micro dimming TV's at this years CES in Las Vegas (pronounced Loss Vegas and not Lass Vegas).

Derek_Horatio_Shatwell1 h, 12 m ago

LG announced some micro dimming TV's at this years CES in Las Vegas …LG announced some micro dimming TV's at this years CES in Las Vegas (pronounced Loss Vegas and not Lass Vegas).

The micro dimming term is generally given to global brightness adjustment and picture processing rather than local dimming.

The 2018 models announced at CES will also be much higher in price when introduced, so unless they're substantially better than the current TVs it'll be close to the end of the year before you can get anything offering similar value.

902 panny 2016 model I think can get one on eBay £1000 can’t really be beaten for the price ,or Sony do a good tv but it’s 1200 I think

Original Poster

Is it worth paying the few hundred extra to get the LG oled b7?

meclive10 m ago

I’ve looked at lgs oled range before it ever come out ,and looked and read so much on each one as I was dead set on one .

Basically no , I’m itching for one but I’ll wait for a bout another 2 years because it’s very flawed at the moment , the panels have a few problems and you could end up with a bad tv as it’s a total lottery at the minute ,I think it’s the ex90 Sony that or 902 pansonic read up on these two as there two of the best you can get for led/lcd

Don’t know what size but here’s the Sony

ashmac10 h, 59 m ago

I’ll wait for a bout another 2 years because it’s very flawed at the mom …I’ll wait for a bout another 2 years because it’s very flawed at the moment , the panels have a few problems and you could end up with a bad tv as it’s a total lottery at the minute

The same goes for any TV, and it's not surprising that the flaws of the newly introduced technology are getting more discussion than the flaws of the existing technology that have been known about for years.

Is there any evidence that the rate of TVs slipping through quality control is actually any higher than LCDs?

meclive11 h, 9 m ago

That's a highly personal question.

What and how are you watching? A more expensive TV will show the biggest benefit when you've got high quality content to feed it, particularly HDR. If you're only watching normal TV then you're loosing many of the benefits.

OLED also really shines in dark settings, if you watch with the lights on then you'd find something like the Sony XE93 to be better.

On the other hand OLED also has very little drop-off in picture quality when viewed at an angle, so if you regularly watch it from a wide angle then it'll give a nice improvement over LCD in any circumstances.

Original Poster

ashmac13 h, 31 m ago

I’ve looked at lgs oled range before it ever come out ,and looked and read …I’ve looked at lgs oled range before it ever come out ,and looked and read so much on each one as I was dead set on one .Basically no , I’m itching for one but I’ll wait for a bout another 2 years because it’s very flawed at the moment , the panels have a few problems and you could end up with a bad tv as it’s a total lottery at the minute ,I think it’s the ex90 Sony that or 902 pansonic read up on these two as there two of the best you can get for led/lcd

Looking at the reviews it looks like the Sony suffers from poor user interface (android) performance...?

EndlessWaves2 h, 32 m ago

The same goes for any TV, and it's not surprising that the flaws of the …The same goes for any TV, and it's not surprising that the flaws of the newly introduced technology are getting more discussion than the flaws of the existing technology that have been known about for years.Is there any evidence that the rate of TVs slipping through quality control is actually any higher than LCDs?That's a highly personal question.What and how are you watching? A more expensive TV will show the biggest benefit when you've got high quality content to feed it, particularly HDR. If you're only watching normal TV then you're loosing many of the benefits.OLED also really shines in dark settings, if you watch with the lights on then you'd find something like the Sony XE93 to be better. On the other hand OLED also has very little drop-off in picture quality when viewed at an angle, so if you regularly watch it from a wide angle then it'll give a nice improvement over LCD in any circumstances.

The TV will mostly be used for 720 and 1080 sources. I also watch catch-up TV on iPlayer etc... Have Netflix / stream a lot so potentially 4k streaming.

Looking to get a TV that will last me a good 5 years at least - bought my current main TV in 2011 and while the panny plasma is still running well and keeping the room warm, it's time for an upgrade!!
Edited by: "meclive" 9th Jan

meclive1 h, 23 m ago

Looking at the reviews it looks like the Sony suffers from poor user …Looking at the reviews it looks like the Sony suffers from poor user interface (android) performance...?

What TV doesn't have a poor user interface in one way or another? The Android TV interface is perfectly usable from what I've seen of it.

meclive1 h, 23 m ago

Looking at the reviews it looks like the Sony suffers from poor user …Looking at the reviews it looks like the Sony suffers from poor user interface (android) performance...?The TV will mostly be used for 720 and 1080 sources. I also watch catch-up TV on iPlayer etc... Have Netflix / stream a lot so potentially 4k streaming. Looking to get a TV that will last me a good 5 years at least - bought my current main TV in 2011 and while the panny plasma is still running well and keeping the room warm, it's time for an upgrade!!

This is a poor time to be buying a new TV if you only watch HD stuff. Unless you're unhappy with something on your current TV then I'd give it another couple of years for HDR broadcasting to get going.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves9th Jan

What TV doesn't have a poor user interface in one way or another? The …What TV doesn't have a poor user interface in one way or another? The Android TV interface is perfectly usable from what I've seen of it.This is a poor time to be buying a new TV if you only watch HD stuff. Unless you're unhappy with something on your current TV then I'd give it another couple of years for HDR broadcasting to get going.

I have netflix and amazon prime video to do some 4k streaming, and if I get a 4k bluray player I guess I'll be set for the time being...

As a side, John Lewis have given me a price match on the LG OLED55E7N for £2100 and LG are offering £500 cashback. I know it's been cheaper with offers in the past, but do you reckon £1600 is a decent price for this OLED TV set? Makes it about the same price as the B7.
Edited by: "meclive" 11th Jan

Original Poster

Guess the question is whether the E7 is worth £100 more than the B7...

meclive22 m ago

Guess the question is whether the E7 is worth £100 more than the B7...

It's a very similar TV. The picture quality is identical but the front facing speakers are supposed to be a bit better than the downwards facing ones on the LG. It also has a glass panel rather than being metal-edged and a different design of remote.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves1 h, 20 m ago

It's a very similar TV. The picture quality is identical but the front …It's a very similar TV. The picture quality is identical but the front facing speakers are supposed to be a bit better than the downwards facing ones on the LG. It also has a glass panel rather than being metal-edged and a different design of remote.

Just happened to be wandering past PC World and popped in for a look at the 55" TVs... They had the LG OLED B7 on display and have to say it looked ok, but not fantastic. The picture on the Samsung Q7 QLED on the other hand was unbelievable... guess it might just have been the setup of the TVs as they were both playing from a UHD source.

meclive2 h, 7 m ago

Just happened to be wandering past PC World and popped in for a look at …Just happened to be wandering past PC World and popped in for a look at the 55" TVs... They had the LG OLED B7 on display and have to say it looked ok, but not fantastic. The picture on the Samsung Q7 QLED on the other hand was unbelievable... guess it might just have been the setup of the TVs as they were both playing from a UHD source.

You do need to see them side by side showing the same real world footage in lighting approaching what you'd have at home. Demo footage in a very brightly lit store will always favour TVs that can output a high average brightness.

In that sort of environment you want to ignore the general impression of colour/contrast and focus on other aspects like how good the noise reduction/upscaling is when showing SD and HD content. That'll be representative of what you see at home

Original Poster

EndlessWaves25 m ago

You do need to see them side by side showing the same real world footage …You do need to see them side by side showing the same real world footage in lighting approaching what you'd have at home. Demo footage in a very brightly lit store will always favour TVs that can output a high average brightness.In that sort of environment you want to ignore the general impression of colour/contrast and focus on other aspects like how good the noise reduction/upscaling is when showing SD and HD content. That'll be representative of what you see at home

Presumably the OLED would be better in that scenario?

meclive1 h, 1 m ago

Presumably the OLED would be better in that scenario?

The other aspects of picture quality? Not really. It would depend on the individual TV.

OLED's two main strengths are very deep blacks and very good viewing angle. The former only shows up in less bright ambient lighting. In a bright room the amount of light coming from dark parts of the screen is dominated by the light bouncing off it rather than the light being emitted by the LCD panel.

If you watch TV in a well lit room then you may well get better picture quality from a similarly priced LCD, such as a Sony XE93.
Post a comment
@
    Text