Posted 2nd Jan 2022
We've recently had our big living room window replaced with a new pane of safety glass.

However, in the recent windy weather I've noticed the window was creaking. I assumed it was rain but the sound wasn't quite the same, and when I push gently on the window from the outside tonight it made the same noise.

Is this normal with safety glass? No other pane of glass in the same window unit makes the same noise, just the big pane in the middle.

The builder who installed it isn't going to come out unless I can explain in "technical language" what the issue is, can anyone help?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
10 Comments
  1. Avatar
    Sounds like it's loose or badly fitted.... Get him back !
  2. Avatar
    Where foam works well to hold firm
  3. Avatar
    Throw a brick threw that'll stop the noise

In all seriousness, it doesn't sound like it's been fitted 100%. I'm sure they'll pop out and have a look, can't seeing it being a long job, might just need pushed into place or some kind of seal
  4. Avatar
    Does it happen all the time or only when rads are on.(I assuming rad is underneath that pane). Maybe it's expansion and contraction. What type of frame pvc/aluminium?
  5. Avatar
    Is it double glazed? Maybe the window wasn’t fixed properly originally and him changing the unit has loosened the window. If you have fanlights next to the large unit open them and get a fixing in both sides. Or make a gap outside and get some expanding foam in there.
  6. Avatar
    What’s with the attitude from your builder though, do they expect you to know the trade? They should come out and inspect it if they have any worth regardless.
  7. Avatar
    In 'technical language' I think it was Small Claim Court
  8. Avatar
    Author
    SebK02/01/2022 21:20

Does it happen all the time or only when rads are on.(I assuming rad is …Does it happen all the time or only when rads are on.(I assuming rad is underneath that pane). Maybe it's expansion and contraction. What type of frame pvc/aluminium?

Yes rad is underneath, but it happens all the time on only the newly fitted safety glass. Pvc frame.

winzzz03/01/2022 09:33

What’s with the attitude from your builder though, do they expect you to k …What’s with the attitude from your builder though, do they expect you to know the trade? They should come out and inspect it if they have any worth regardless.

He's someone I would never use again!

marshy5103/01/2022 09:24

Is it double glazed? Maybe the window wasn’t fixed properly originally and …Is it double glazed? Maybe the window wasn’t fixed properly originally and him changing the unit has loosened the window. If you have fanlights next to the large unit open them and get a fixing in both sides. Or make a gap outside and get some expanding foam in there.

It is double glazed, but not sure what I am doing with windows so I think I'll let the fitter sort this out. Good to know there are options to sort it though.

Toon_army02/01/2022 20:54

Throw a brick threw that'll stop the noise In all seriousness, it …Throw a brick threw that'll stop the noise In all seriousness, it doesn't sound like it's been fitted 100%. I'm sure they'll pop out and have a look, can't seeing it being a long job, might just need pushed into place or some kind of seal

Just to add to this, there is already misting in the new pane that I also discovered last night! I'm just concerned the window itself could have small cracks in it that is letting water in, as the misting is just this circle in the middle.

46602114_1.jpg
    Edited by: "arCuThEDOWDr" 3rd Jan
  9. Avatar
    Sounds like the seal has gone. Get it replaced under warranty
Post a comment
Top Merchants