New Xbox One X won't power on...

Posted 22nd Dec 2019
Hi all.

a friend of mine recently bought a new Xbox one X from Argos.

it powered on fine initially and he has been playing it for a few days, but today, it wont turn on. We have tried the suggested thing of unplugging it completely and waiting a bit then plugging it back in, no luck.

Tried holding the power button down for a while aswell, to see if it's a power surge problem, no luck.

any other ideas?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
_Tris_22/12/2019 22:54

Is it plugged into a extension cord? The x needs to be connected directly …Is it plugged into a extension cord? The x needs to be connected directly to a socket

This is not true, I have mine in an extension lead and have done since it got released
26 Comments
Nvm, it's just randomly turned on... Weird.
No lie mine did that earlier today, it is weird tbh coming from PlayStation I’ve found it to be slow/ buggy in a few areas tbh
New problem: nothing is showing on the TV, like the TV is not recognising anything from the HDMI... mmmh
ArcAndPie22/12/2019 22:13

New problem: nothing is showing on the TV, like the TV is not recognising …New problem: nothing is showing on the TV, like the TV is not recognising anything from the HDMI... mmmh

Return it, too many problems already!
worf20122/12/2019 22:37

Return it, too many problems already!

Would Argos accept a return of an opened/used product? Assume they would tell us to contact microsoft for a repair under warranty?
ArcAndPie22/12/2019 22:38

Would Argos accept a return of an opened/used product? Assume they would …Would Argos accept a return of an opened/used product? Assume they would tell us to contact microsoft for a repair under warranty?

If it’s under 30 days and faulty they replace or refund it, less than 12 months and over 30 days they’ll repair or replace
worf20122/12/2019 22:41

If it’s under 30 days and faulty they replace or refund it, less than 12 m …If it’s under 30 days and faulty they replace or refund it, less than 12 months and over 30 days they’ll repair or replace

Argos will replace it? Or microsoft? Confused, sorry.
Could possibly be a problem with the system update, try contacting Xbox support and see if they can come up with a fix. If not then Argos should replace it, if they don’t you can send off to Xbox and if they can’t fix it then it will be replaced free of charge as you are within the warranty period
ArcAndPie22/12/2019 22:41

Argos should
Is it plugged into a extension cord? The x needs to be connected directly to a socket
Edited by: "_Tris_" 22nd Dec 2019
_Tris_22/12/2019 22:54

Is it plugged into a extension cord? The x needs to be connected directly …Is it plugged into a extension cord? The x needs to be connected directly to a socket

This is not true, I have mine in an extension lead and have done since it got released
Arto22/12/2019 23:03

This is not true, I have mine in an extension lead and have done since it …This is not true, I have mine in an extension lead and have done since it got released

Same, I can’t think why it would make any difference????
Arto22/12/2019 23:03

This is not true, I have mine in an extension lead and have done since it …This is not true, I have mine in an extension lead and have done since it got released

It is true when i first got my x on release we thought it was faulty would not turn on after speaking with Microsoft customer service they asked us to unplug the extension cord and plug it directly to the wall and hey presto it fired up,
frakison22/12/2019 23:12

Same, I can’t think why it would make any difference????

uk.pcmag.com/new…e-s

It might only be extension leads with surge protectors ours did have a surge protector
ArcAndPie22/12/2019 22:41

Argos will replace/refund it for sure
Argos are excellent for returns
Try a hard reset of the console. I had a similar issue after I enabled auto installs.
I had that problem, it was more down to the tv than Xbox. Obviously shut down Xbox, switch tv off at mains too. Then power up the tv, give it a min, switch Xbox on. Tv should detect the Xbox again. Is it a 4K tv too?
When replugging in the cables, have you accidentally put the HDMI cable in the back of the Xbox into the HDMI input port, rather than the HDMI output port?
_Tris_22/12/2019 23:38

https://uk.pcmag.com/news-analysis/92109/microsoft-dont-use-surge-protectors-with-xbox-one-x-one-sIt might only be extension leads with surge protectors ours did have a surge protector

I use an Extension with surge protector..
Did you make sure the cable is in probably those cable's are the worst, PC, Xbox or PS4 theyre loose so if its not pushed in a certain way it has probably and if you move it slightly it can either not work or make popping sounds
Thats reminds me. I did have a similar problem. If I turned the Xbox on before the tv it wouldn’t like it. I had to turn the tv on first and then the Xbox about 5/10 seconds later.
STRICKIBHOY23/12/2019 05:06

I had that problem, it was more down to the tv than Xbox. Obviously shut …I had that problem, it was more down to the tv than Xbox. Obviously shut down Xbox, switch tv off at mains too. Then power up the tv, give it a min, switch Xbox on. Tv should detect the Xbox again. Is it a 4K tv too?

Andrew_Holder23/12/2019 10:11

When replugging in the cables, have you accidentally put the HDMI cable in …When replugging in the cables, have you accidentally put the HDMI cable in the back of the Xbox into the HDMI input port, rather than the HDMI output port?

.... it was in the wrong one.

Wow. Hahaha, amazing. Thanks!
ArcAndPie23/12/2019 13:02

.... it was in the wrong one.Wow. Hahaha, amazing. Thanks!

No problem at all
The turn in randomly for updates and game updates...
ArcAndPie23/12/2019 13:02

.... it was in the wrong one.Wow. Hahaha, amazing. Thanks!

I think MS should put a small cover over the HDMI input port like you see on graphics cards to make it obvious to people which port they should be using.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants