Groups

New Year trip to Dublin - any advice? :)

Hello HUKD'ers! Im here again to pick your excellent brains! This time I am seeking advice on a trip accross the waters to Dublin. My brother turns 18 on December the 28th and as his present am I taking him to the land of drink itself. We want to be there for a weekend with a little time for sightseeing as well. The dates are either Thursday 1st - Tuesday 6th, or Thursday 8th-Tuesday 15th.

We want to fly, unless ferry is loadsss cheaper, and want to stay in a reasonably priced yet comfortable and clean hotel (anything 3* upwards would be great). There will be a fair few lads going (I would guess about 6 of us) and we are meeting 2 friends who also need to stay at the hotel with us there.

Any advice would be fantastic, on flights, hotels, or even things to see and do in the capital, from days out to nights out.

Thanks a million,
    Chris.

19 Comments

It is going to be expensive unless you book early. We usually book about six months in advance before going to Eire (Dublin and Wicklow). All the major sites are close to one another in Dublin, and their bus and tram service is excellent. Just pick up a tourist guide when you arrive.

visitdublin.com/
    dublintourist.com/

Me and OH went to Dublin in April - great place :thumbsup:

We flew with Ryanair from Liverpool 1p each way, only took 15 mins flying time:thumbsup:

Stayed in the Temple Bar area at The Temple Bar Hotel - excellent hotel and a very good location, especially for bars, restaurants and the main shopping areas (O'Connell St, Grafton St and henry St) all within walking distance.

I would recommend a 'Hop-on Hop-off' city tour open top bus for sightseeing as you get running commentary during the trip and you can get on and off where and when you like. Cost 15 euros for 24 hrs (i think).

We visited the Guinness Storehouse while we were there. Highly recommended and you get a free pint of Guinness in the 360 degrees panoramic bar with views over Dublin.

Hope this helps and have a great time :thumbsup:

mgfgirl;2566798

We flew with Ryanair from Liverpool 1p each way, only took 15 mins … We flew with Ryanair from Liverpool 1p each way, only took 15 mins :thumbsup:

What! 45 min I think. We fly this service several times a year.

Predikuesi;2566815

What! 45 min I think. We fly this service several times a year.

It only took us 15 mins should have been 30, so we must have had a tail wind!

mgfgirl;2566837

It only took us 15 mins should have been 30, so we must have had a tail … It only took us 15 mins should have been 30, so we must have had a tail wind!

Haha! I'm sure you must be joking though. It is impossible to get there in 15 minutes from terminal to terminal. It takes 8 minutes to taxi from Liverpool's terminal to take off, and it takes just under 10 minutes from landing at Dublin to the terminal bay. The quickest we have ever got over there is 40 min. Look at Ryan Air site and you will see it is 40 min (but in our experiences it is usually 45 min.)

I think you are taking about the flight time rather than the actual journey time.

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice guys. We were going to book this summer for that exact reason! Can we really take enough things to last us 5 days with Ryuanair? I thought it was just a small bag of hand luggage?

Predikuesi;2566874

Haha! I'm sure you must be joking though. It is impossible to get there … Haha! I'm sure you must be joking though. It is impossible to get there in 15 minutes from terminal to terminal. It takes 8 minutes to taxi from Liverpool's terminal to take off, and it takes just under 10 minutes from landing at Dublin to the terminal bay. The quickest we have ever got over there is 40 min. Look at Ryan Air site and you will see it is 40 min (but in our experiences it is usually 45 min.)I think you are taking about the flight time rather than the actual journey time.

Yes it was the actual flying time in the air :thumbsup:

CReilly;2566889

Thanks for the advice guys. We were going to book this summer for that … Thanks for the advice guys. We were going to book this summer for that exact reason! Can we really take enough things to last us 5 days with Ryuanair? I thought it was just a small bag of hand luggage?

Take-on cabin baggage is a maximum of 10kg per person and a bag no larger than 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.

We only went for 2 nights though and this was plenty for us.

CReilly;2566889

Thanks for the advice guys. We were going to book this summer for that … Thanks for the advice guys. We were going to book this summer for that exact reason! Can we really take enough things to last us 5 days with Ryuanair? I thought it was just a small bag of hand luggage?

I am going over next week and will only be taking a carry on bag. What I take will last for the eight days, but I am staying with relatives. I think that you'll be ok as long as you are not a messy eater! They have all the same shops, so if there is a problem, it is easily sorted.

Original Poster

Found a decent hotel in a good location, for only £22 per night each o,o

Looks the business, so just the activities and the flights to be sorted now

Original Poster

Great stuff. Do the flights actually cost 1p each, or is there tax, etc?

CReilly;2566954

Great stuff. Do the flights actually cost 1p each, or is there tax, etc?

Never actually got a 1p flight because of the taxes and other costs. Once booked a free flight with them that cost me over £23.00.

Original Poster

Great stuff, you have both been very helpful. Repped both accordingly.

Would it be worth buying some sort of tram weekly pass? Trams go from outside our hotel - will they go to the airport?

When you arrive at the airport, buy a weekly pass for both the bus and tram. There are several buses outside the terminal that will take you to Dublin City. It will take around 30 minutes.

It is possible to buy a tourist pass (which includes payment for attractions) see buseireann.ie/ & cie.ie/home/

We got back from Dublin last week.

Flew with Ryan Air - flight back was cancelled fault was Dublin Airports radar so not actually Ryan Air's fault. Apparently they had been having problems with it for 5 weeks prior to our flight so ............... just be aware!

We stayed at the Paramount Hotel in Temple Bar we booked through Hotel Direct on line. The staff etc. where very, very helpful and it is in a really good location. Believe can be noisey as a club The Turks Head is part of the hotel but, we were on the top floor so didn't hear a thing. But, really if your staying in Temple Bar you have to expect noise!

Have a brill time and take plenty of Euros with you as it is expensive!

Don't miss Oliver St. John Gogartys at night for live Irish music through until 2.30am. Fantastic :thumbsup:

We bought a 3-day Rambler bus ticket from a machine just outside the airport terminal. This is good value as it can also be used to go to and from the airport.

[url]www.dublinbus.ie[/url]

Our flights were just 1p each way (4p in total) NO taxes or surcharges.

Original Poster

How did you manage to avoid taxes : O

And how much was the 3 day buss pass thingy? I cant work it out from that webpage, sorry

CReilly;2569821

How did you manage to avoid taxes : OAnd how much was the 3 day buss pass … How did you manage to avoid taxes : OAnd how much was the 3 day buss pass thingy? I cant work it out from that webpage, sorry

We didn't pay taxes, as it was a special promotion ryanair do every now and again on certain dates.
    You have to check their website, also someone usually posts when the 1p deals are available on here :thumbsup:

It's a 3 day Rambler bus ticket (not Freedom-sorry!) costs are: 3 days 11.50 euros, 5 days 18.50 euros and 7 days for 23 euros.

Hope this link works ok: [url]www.dublinbus.ie/fares_and_tickets/daily.asp[/url]

Original Poster

Thanks very much, guys

Only thing to do now is plan what we are going to do
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?917
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie911
      3. love affairs912
      4. word association Game73844475

See more discussions