New York Guide - Flights, Accommodation and Attractions

EDITOR 13
Posted 16th Dec 2019
If you are looking to visit New York, below are some tips on flight prices, accommodation as well as attractions (free and paid for). It's not an exhaustive list, so feel free to share your own tips and experiences.

Flights to New York

3360923.jpg

At time of posting the current cheapest direct flights to New York are from London Heathrow with BA. Prices range around £240 - £250 if booking via a third party travel agent such as Travelup or around £260 if you want to book directly at BA. Flights based on hand luggage, however BA has a decent 23kg hand luggage limit. Virgin also have similar prices, which are hand luggage based on 10kg. Also Norwegian airlines is a third option with similar prices.Check for any discount codes on top for extra savings.

BA flights from £240 return

Date availability for Jan, Feb, March, April, May and November

3360923.jpg

Virgin flights from £240 return

Date availability for Jan, Feb, March, May and November

3360923.jpg
Norwegian from £240

Date availability for Jan, Feb, March

3360923.jpg

Sites for New York Flights

Some useful sites listed below to search for flight prices

Accommodation / Package Holidays in New York

3360923.jpg

Accommodation can be quite expensive in New York, especially the Summer months. Below are a few options to consider.

BA Return Flight with 23kg checked luggage & 3/4* hotel - 3 nights £388pp / 4 nights £420pp / 5 nights £453pp

BA do some competitive package deals, which may work out better than booking flights separately and also includes checked luggage. For example you can get a 5 night break including flights, checked luggage and 5 nights Holiday Inn hotel stay in Jan for £453pp. The holiday finder tool on the site is useful to see the different rates for different months, just filter on the left hand side.There's usually some decent 3*/4* hotels that are central.

3360923.jpg

Airbnb accommodation

Airbnb maybe a potential option given rooms can be from as little as £15 per night. However under state law, it is illegal in most buildings for an apartment to be rented out for less than 30 days unless the permanent tenant is residing in the apartment at the same time.

Other Sites for New York accommodation

Some useful sites listed below to search for New York accommodation

Travel Republic
Trivago
Expedia
Virgin Holidays
Voyage Prive
Tui
Kayak

Free things to do in New York

3360923.jpg
There are lots of free activities to do in New York

• 2.5 hour free walking tour with guide - You can get a free walking tour with SANDEMANs NEW Europe, can book online.
  • The Staten Island Ferry is free and a good way to see the Statute of Liberty close up for free
  • New York Public library - over 52 million items are in the New York library. Free tours are offered Monday - Saturday at 11 AM and 2 PM, and at 2 PM Sundays.
  • St Patrick's cathedral - Free daily tours
  • Socrates Sculpture Park - Free yoga classes, outdoor cinema and art exhibitions during the Summer months
  • Brooklyn Brewery tours - Free tours of Williamsburg's Brrokly Brewery run on the hour from 1-5pm Saturday, 1-4pm Sunday. 79 N 11th St, Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
  • Free entertainment tickets via Applause Store USA - link
  • Bronx Zoo. The zoo is free for all guests on Wednesdays.
  • Brooklyn bridge - iconic landmark
  • The High Line - a park area and its built above the streets of Manhattan a top an old railroad line
  • Visit Times Square - always free
  • Visit Central Park - always free
  • Brooklyn Botanical Garden - free on Tuesdays and Saturdays
  • Grand Central Terminal - One of New York’s most iconic buildings
  • Free museums - Many museums offer free admission. Museums including the American Folk Art Museum, National Museum of the American Indian are always free, whilst the Museum of Modern Art (4pm-8pm Fridays), the 9/11 Memorial and Museum (5pm to close Tuesdays) and the Brooklyn Children’s Museum (2pm-6pm Thursdays) are free during specific times.
  • Free discount booklet to use at Woodbury Common Premium Outlets @ Simon - link, saving $10
  • Federal reserve Museum & Gold Vault Tour - free tour book here - thanks @srp111
  • Free walking tours - see Free Walking tours by foot - thanks @paul1005

Paid for attractions in New York

3360923.jpg

• New York City Pass Explorer: If you want to visit various attractions then you may want to consider the New York City Explorer pass. A number of sites offer the pass e.g. Groupon, Costco, Expedia. You can currently get 3 Activities with Skip-The-Line Entry £48.30 with code UKPRSLCTH (new account). There are a choice of 50+ attractions, from the Empire State Building, to taking a cruise around Manhattan.
  • Sometimes Expedia offer discount code on activities which also includes activities in New York. Worth having a browse when they run a code.

Spending in New York - Fee free card

If travelling to New York, it's worth considering a fee free card if you don't already have one. Some of the traditional banks and bank account offers charge up to 3% of the transaction as well as other fees when spending abroad, so a fee free card can give you significant savings. Starling bank for example gives fee free spend abroad plus you can withdraw up to £300 a day without any charge. Current exchange rate is around $1.34 to £1.

More options on fee free cards

Weather in New York

Average weather temperature listed below, to factor in when you want to go. Jan to March tends to be cheaper due to the colder weather conditions.

3360923.jpg

ESTA

If travelling to the US you will need an ESTA. You can apply online and costs $14 (about £9) and is valid for 2 years. You need to apply online at least 72 hours before travel.
Community Updates
Megathread

Groups

13 Comments
Wow... That's lot of work... Thank you @Chanchi32
I am planning to go to Washington during the summer holidays ( June, July)... What is my best option
Edited by: "apur32" 16th Dec 2019
Nice work @Chanchi32
Thanks for the hard work and posting, very useful .
Also look at free tours by foot.
I've used these several times and they have been amazing every time. They also do Food tours which you just need a few dollars for sample food, cannot recommend the Chinatown food tour highly enough. The Soup dumplings were probably the best thing i have ever tasted.
apur3216/12/2019 07:32

Wow... That's lot of work... Thank you @Chanchi32 I am planning …Wow... That's lot of work... Thank you @Chanchi32 I am planning to go to Washington during the summer holidays ( June, July)... What is my best option

have you already booked @apur32 - or are you still to book flights / accommodation
Chanchi3216/12/2019 13:04

have you already booked @apur32 - or are you still to book flights / …have you already booked @apur32 - or are you still to book flights / accommodation

Only need to book flight .... free accomodation already sorted
Thanks for the great post. Tempted with NY now...
apur3216/12/2019 13:40

Only need to book flight .... free accomodation already sorted

I've had a scan and the flight prices are really high for direct Washington flights currently, so best to keep an eye on prices. What month were you looking at.
One thing that people never seem to book in New York but is free and amazing to see is the federal reserve, just go to their website and book a tour.
Great museum on currency and the amount of bullion you see is eye watering
paul100516/12/2019 12:59

Also look at free tours by foot.I've used these several times and they …Also look at free tours by foot.I've used these several times and they have been amazing every time. They also do Food tours which you just need a few dollars for sample food, cannot recommend the Chinatown food tour highly enough. The Soup dumplings were probably the best thing i have ever tasted.

had a look, interesting site and the food tours look good, added to the post
srp11117/12/2019 02:28

One thing that people never seem to book in New York but is free and …One thing that people never seem to book in New York but is free and amazing to see is the federal reserve, just go to their website and book a tour.Great museum on currency and the amount of bullion you see is eye watering

nice have added
Been thinking of a return trip to fill in the cultural things but put off by perceived high hotel costs. But this article makes it look more palatable.
Pity you can't Heat or Upvote OP!
So thanks anyway.
Edited by: "harrythefish" 26th Dec 2019
Great info. Thanks
What's the best way of getting around NY when visiting the various sites? Someone told me to use a hop-on hop-off bus, just wondered what those in the know would advise? Thnx
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants