New York NYE advice.

Found 11th Jul
Has anyone been to New York on New Year’s Eve? I have booked to go this year and wondering what is best to do? We initially wanted to watch the ball drop but not waiting in Times Square for 10 hours for a 5 second countdown.

The rooftop bars seem to be charging $1k per person entry with open bar which as much as I can afford it, it’s a stupid price.

Anyone got any other ideas they’ve done?

Many thanks
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
deleted79467
new york for new years eve is not going to be cheap
deleted7946711th Jul

new york for new years eve is not going to be cheap

Ye I know. I just found a rooftop bar with the Ball drop shown on TVs for $275pp with reserved seats and table service and a bottle of champagne with open bar
I’ve been to NYE 3 times in NY. Twice watching ball drop live in Times Sq. Once in a bar. To be honest I’m too old to see ball drop now. I’d go to one of the bars or restaurants to celebrate. If you want to be able to watch the actual ball drop from a restaurant live & not on TV screen then expect crazy prices.

If you are happy to stand for hours then watching ball drop in Times Square is fun. I mean we were placed like cattle from 3pm to await celebrations. If you get to be in front of the stage it’s great fun but if not then you can’t see anything & can’t hear much. The further away from Times Sq I think the more pointless it is as your just standing like cattle in areas marked off. If your lucky enough to be placed in front of the ball you can see that but maybe not see the stage. If in Times Sq there are places around to get food. We got some pizza from shop. There are no in & out passes, once in you can’t leave. There’s a lot of restrictions on what you can take in obviously.

For a few hours you count down all the New Years around the world. Once the live tv stuff starts & if you’re next to that area to see it’s fun. There’s a good vibe. We had fun meeting people from all over. It’s definitely not for everyone!

Just watch when you leave it was quite scary. Cops kettled is with horses to direct our way. We could walk the same way we had come & took a long route back.

Hope makes sense I’ve been on nights & knackered!
Hapzy7 m ago

I’ve been to NYE 3 times in NY. Twice watching ball drop live in Times S …I’ve been to NYE 3 times in NY. Twice watching ball drop live in Times Sq. Once in a bar. To be honest I’m too old to see ball drop now. I’d go to one of the bars or restaurants to celebrate. If you want to be able to watch the actual ball drop from a restaurant live & not on TV screen then expect crazy prices. If you are happy to stand for hours then watching ball drop in Times Square is fun. I mean we were placed like cattle from 3pm to await celebrations. If you get to be in front of the stage it’s great fun but if not then you can’t see anything & can’t hear much. The further away from Times Sq I think the more pointless it is as your just standing like cattle in areas marked off. If your lucky enough to be placed in front of the ball you can see that but maybe not see the stage. If in Times Sq there are places around to get food. We got some pizza from shop. There are no in & out passes, once in you can’t leave. There’s a lot of restrictions on what you can take in obviously. For a few hours you count down all the New Years around the world. Once the live tv stuff starts & if you’re next to that area to see it’s fun. There’s a good vibe. We had fun meeting people from all over. It’s definitely not for everyone! Just watch when you leave it was quite scary. Cops kettled is with horses to direct our way. We could walk the same way we had come & took a long route back. Hope makes sense I’ve been on nights & knackered!

Ye thanks, I think we will do the rooftop bar I’ve found. The bar has open bar and table service etc with bottle of champagne for $275 each and TVs showing the Ball drop. I’d rather not stand around all day to watch it since it’s a waste of a day imo.
Danjw918 m ago

Ye thanks, I think we will do the rooftop bar I’ve found. The bar has open …Ye thanks, I think we will do the rooftop bar I’ve found. The bar has open bar and table service etc with bottle of champagne for $275 each and TVs showing the Ball drop. I’d rather not stand around all day to watch it since it’s a waste of a day imo.

If you get there early & in front of stage & can stand it’s ok. Otherwise I’d give it a miss. It’s not as awesome as people say. Especially those who can’t see or hear anything! I was really surprised no screens around unless it’s changed.

There’s so many bars/restaurants/hotels in NY to choose from all various prices. The price goes way up. There’s river cruises but can’t comment on how they are as never been.

Best NYE in NY I think was in a bar. Then went out to watch the fireworks.

Whatever you do, enjoy
deleted79467
Danjw911 h, 17 m ago

Ye thanks, I think we will do the rooftop bar I’ve found. The bar has open …Ye thanks, I think we will do the rooftop bar I’ve found. The bar has open bar and table service etc with bottle of champagne for $275 each and TVs showing the Ball drop. I’d rather not stand around all day to watch it since it’s a waste of a day imo.

also be aware they "champagne" may not even be from france as in the us they call any sparkling wine champagne
deleted7946711th Jul

also be aware they "champagne" may not even be from france as in the us …also be aware they "champagne" may not even be from france as in the us they call any sparkling wine champagne

Dont like wine not champagne so doesn’t bother me as most likely wont be drank haha! More of a bourbon 🥃 man myself so I’ll be on that
The ball drop is great. 🖒
I’ve done Miami Beach for NYE, there’s always free beach concert. It will also be hot.
djdanj8912 m ago

I’ve done Miami Beach for NYE, there’s always free beach concert. It will a …I’ve done Miami Beach for NYE, there’s always free beach concert. It will also be hot.

Miami Beach as in Florida? Well, thanks for the input but this is regarding New York
ssc117 h, 0 m ago

The ball drop is great. 🖒

I had to google what it is and despite watching this video, I'm still none the wiser. Nothing spectacular to see at all unless I'm missing something.

chocci41 m ago

I had to google what it is and despite watching this video, I'm still none …I had to google what it is and despite watching this video, I'm still none the wiser. Nothing spectacular to see at all unless I'm missing something.[Video]

Quite. But if your there why not.
ssc151 m ago

Quite. But if your there why not.

but you said its great yet I cant see any ball drop?
chocci2 h, 1 m ago

but you said its great yet I cant see any ball drop?

Only on nye. Maybe other times of the year.
Just go to central park. Music. Loads of people. Went with the wife and child at 2 years old and we loved it. It doesnt have to be anymore expensive than any other time out there other than the holiday itself. Enjoy it!
ssc19 h, 37 m ago

Only on nye. Maybe other times of the year.

But what happens on nye apart from a countdown video on a screen? Just looks extremely boring.
chocci1 h, 43 m ago

But what happens on nye apart from a countdown video on a screen? Just …But what happens on nye apart from a countdown video on a screen? Just looks extremely boring.

It is. The ball drop is the only thing again if your there might as well.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants