New York Terror attack. At least 8 killed, 12 injured.

Found 31st Oct 2017Edited by:"F.D."
I'm not normally one to post these, it's just heartbreaking.

At least eight people have been killed and 12 injured in New York after the driver of a truck mowed down people on a cycle path in Lower Manhattan.

A 29-year-old man who emerged from the vehicle was shot by a police officer and arrested.

US media named him as Sayfullo Saipov, an immigrant who came to the US in 2010.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said it was "cowardly act of terror aimed at innocent civilians".

He added: "We know that this action was intended to break our spirit. But we also know that New Yorkers are strong, New Yorkers are resilient and our spirit will never be moved by an act of violence and an act meant to intimidate us."
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
airfix20 m ago

It's all part and parcel of living in a big city according to Sadiq Khan

That’s not what he said at all. Stop misquoting the guy.
May the people who died in this attack RIP
Ramp-up the security Trump. You've gotta do what you've gotta do. If he has family, put them all under surveillance. If he attended mosques, order AV to be installed and regularly monitored in every mosque in the country. Nobody will be worried about being monitored if they're doing nothing wrong. You'd want CCTV in your supermarket if you were pickpocketed during a visit. Anyway, im sure Trump will do something. Individual hermits you can't stop, but majority of these types of crimes are heavily linked with others who knew what was going to happen or even knew what he was like.
kashmemon2 h, 59 m ago

A snippet from his comments with regards to terrorism:

"What i do know its part of parcel living in a great global city is you gotta be prepared for these things"

Don't tell me, its a cryptic message that could mean 100 different things, probably like a book he reads?.
141 Comments
So sad an bloody wrong. What sort of ***** world we live in now.
Edited by moderator: "Edited out swearing" 31st Oct 2017
May the people who died in this attack RIP
airfix20 m ago

airfix1 h, 4 m ago

It's true, that's why Tower of London was built ages ago, no change then for every Mayor since then and before.
kashmemon52 m ago

It's true, even if Mayor didn't say it, and why should he say something that's so crass, that's why big cities have huge police and anti-terror budgets, say New York, London, Paris, Amsterdam, Beijing, Mumbai, Mexico City ,, crime and terror are part and parcel of everyday life, as indeed alcohol, drugs, gambling, slavery, violent crime, espionage, kidnap and so on.
Edited by: "splender" 31st Oct 2017
Ramp-up the security Trump. You've gotta do what you've gotta do. If he has family, put them all under surveillance. If he attended mosques, order AV to be installed and regularly monitored in every mosque in the country. Nobody will be worried about being monitored if they're doing nothing wrong. You'd want CCTV in your supermarket if you were pickpocketed during a visit. Anyway, im sure Trump will do something. Individual hermits you can't stop, but majority of these types of crimes are heavily linked with others who knew what was going to happen or even knew what he was like.
kashmemon2 h, 59 m ago

A snippet from his comments with regards to terrorism:

"What i do know its part of parcel living in a great global city is you gotta be prepared for these things"

Don't tell me, its a cryptic message that could mean 100 different things, probably like a book he reads?.
kashmemon4 h, 14 m ago

of course it's what he said, in the context of needing to be vigilant and prepared is part and parcel of living in a major city.

how could that statement mean anything but a terrorist attack is inevitable and we should just live with it
They don't intend to break anyones spirit, if its ISIS they intend to wave a red rag to a bull until they get WW3 which they think will be the end of days as written in the koran, they are a doomsday cult really
A hateful ex-Uber driver who didn't appreciate the freedom and respect of his fellow members of humanity.

Achieved nothing and won't change how people in NY live.

Basically a tragic and unavoidable waste of life, he completed his 'mission' by crashing into a school bus, how pathetic.

Terrorists have been doing this for decades, they never win and they never will. PLO, HAMAS, IS, BH, ALQ all failures except in killing random innocent people.

I am sure they'll be more of these fanatics in the next decade creating new extremist groups ,which will also fail, sadly some parents and religious mentors online and offline teach their children to hate anyone who doesn't read the same 'holy' book and sow the seeds of such incidents.

Omid Djalilli

"Stupid to think attacking New Yorkers would do anything other than increase their resolve to be exactly who they are."
Edited by: "davewave" 1st Nov 2017
davewave1 h, 12 m ago

Terrorists have been doing this for decades, they never win and they never …Terrorists have been doing this for decades, they never win and they never will. PLO, HAMAS, IS, BH, ALQ all failures except in killing random innocent people.

Not forgetting the IRA of course.
ThugBasher9 h, 32 m ago

So sad an bloody wrong. What sort of ***** world we live in now.

One where the desert religions still exist and influence people.
I wonder what sort of distraction from the recent indictment trump needs 🤔
The press love to work these stories over you all to get you going!

300 dead hundreds more injured in Mogadishu just over a week back and you don't blink!

A child dies every 5 hours from abuse in the USA.

You affinity to Trump in reposting these news stories is crazy!
you don't need religion to teach children to hate other people Dave, pots and kettles.
davewave1 h, 44 m ago

I am sure they'll be more of these fanatics in the next decade creating …I am sure they'll be more of these fanatics in the next decade creating new extremist groups ,which will also fail, sadly some parents and religious mentors online and offline teach their children to hate anyone who doesn't read the same 'holy' book and sow the seeds of such incidents."

groenleader8 m ago

The press love to work these stories over you all to get you going! 300 …The press love to work these stories over you all to get you going! 300 dead hundreds more injured in Mogadishu just over a week back and you don't blink! A child dies every 5 hours from abuse in the USA. You affinity to Trump in reposting these news stories is crazy!

Walking in a street in NY is probably more likely for most of us than...
walking in a street in Mogadishu.

I havent heard you post about Mogadishu much - maybe start a thread rather than try to antagonize other people on the site?
davewave8 m ago

Walking in a street in NY is probably more likely for most of us than... …Walking in a street in NY is probably more likely for most of us than... walking in a street in Mogadishu.I havent heard you post about Mogadishu much - maybe start a thread rather than try to antagonize other people on the site?

Not me I'd never set foot on US soil out of principle. And so much for compassion for your fellow man if thats your attitude.
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 1st Nov 2017
groenleader23 m ago

The press love to work these stories over you all to get you going! 300 …The press love to work these stories over you all to get you going! 300 dead hundreds more injured in Mogadishu just over a week back and you don't blink! A child dies every 5 hours from abuse in the USA. You affinity to Trump in reposting these news stories is crazy!

Why not post a link or make a thread yourself.. instead of complaining about the threads others made..

theguardian.com/wor…lia
Segata-Sanshiro29 m ago

Not me I'd never set foot on US soil out of principle. And so much for …Not me I'd never set foot on US soil out of principle. And so much for compassion for your fellow man if thats your attitude.

That says a lot about you. What a bizarre and concerning comment to make.

Are we allowed to say the terrorist was Muslim? Are we allowed to say he was an immigrant? Are we allowed to say that dozens of people would not have had their lifes decimated if he had not been allowed to enter the US?

Your motivation is now clear for all to see.
groenleader56 m ago

32345443-BOC1S.jpg
RIP all who died, speedy recovery to the injured.
Dilithium21 m ago

That says a lot about you. What a bizarre and concerning comment to …That says a lot about you. What a bizarre and concerning comment to make.Are we allowed to say the terrorist was Muslim? Are we allowed to say he was an immigrant? Are we allowed to say that dozens of people would not have had their lifes decimated if he had not been allowed to enter the US?Your motivation is now clear for all to see.

It is pretty obvious that if nobody ever emigrated to America then it would be a much nicer place.
Tax every one another US$500 / £500, US$1000 / £1000 to increase forces against all these avoidable crimes? What do you say, nothing is free?
splender5 m ago

Tax every one another US$500 / £500, US$1000 / £1000 to increase forces a …Tax every one another US$500 / £500, US$1000 / £1000 to increase forces against all these avoidable crimes? What do you say, nothing is free?

Those on benefits or low incomes and of low intelligence are the ones who tend to get radicalised. Tax increases don't really effect them.
groenleader2 h, 0 m ago

I once met and had a good chat with with a News desk editor, he said that on average over 200 news stories would hit his desk and he would have to decide what to run with and in which order.

Plane crash happens in India meh maybe a foot note mention
Plane crash happens in India and 5 brits are on board, big news

Excuse the pun but a Terror attack trumps Mogadishu in terms of news for north america and europe.
DKLS2 m ago

I once met and had a good chat with with a News desk editor, he said that …I once met and had a good chat with with a News desk editor, he said that on average over 200 news stories would hit his desk and he would have to decide what to run with and in which order.Plane crash happens in India meh maybe a foot note mentionPlane crash happens in India and 5 brits are on board, big newsExcuse the pun but a Terror attack trumps Mogadishu in terms of news for north america and europe.

Ha, yeah. Whats ironic is that its foreign people, killing foreign people in a foreign place. The relevance of posting that on here etc.
DKLS22 m ago

I once met and had a good chat with with a News desk editor, he said that …I once met and had a good chat with with a News desk editor, he said that on average over 200 news stories would hit his desk and he would have to decide what to run with and in which order.Plane crash happens in India meh maybe a foot note mentionPlane crash happens in India and 5 brits are on board, big newsExcuse the pun but a Terror attack trumps Mogadishu in terms of news for north america and europe.

If one were to visit a mortuary with a motive, one would stop by the one out of 1000s that arouses your personal interest. One would care not one jot for the 999 others in a thouand.
groenleader28 m ago

Ha, yeah. Whats ironic is that its foreign people, killing foreign people …Ha, yeah. Whats ironic is that its foreign people, killing foreign people in a foreign place. The relevance of posting that on here etc.

This has relevance due to the similarity of the method used in incidents in London in 2017.

32346044-PXh7W.jpg
Saturn1 m ago

This has relevance due to the similarity of the method used in incidents …This has relevance due to the similarity of the method used in incidents in London in 2017.[Image]

Seems to be the in thing for now!
Segata-Sanshiro4 h, 38 m ago

They don't intend to break anyones spirit, if its ISIS they intend to wave …They don't intend to break anyones spirit, if its ISIS they intend to wave a red rag to a bull until they get WW3 which they think will be the end of days as written in the koran, they are a doomsday cult really

You clearly have no idea what you’re talking about
groenleader49 m ago

Ha, yeah. Whats ironic is that its foreign people, killing foreign people …Ha, yeah. Whats ironic is that its foreign people, killing foreign people in a foreign place. The relevance of posting that on here etc.

We're the 51st state.
groenleader53 m ago

Ever commented on Trump?

If you disapprove of the thread then leave rather than troll it?
Why does this group of people keep murdering innocent men, women and children?
Let's see if this guy had any association with a salafist mosque. Whilst I appreciate not everyone that attends such a mosque will carry out such an atrocity as witnessed here, the whole concept of the salafi movement in non Muslim countries is total madness. But hey ho, we're such a tolerant bunch.
groenleader1 h, 13 m ago

Quite, for all the blasts and deaths from Morroco to Afghanistan since 1970s, we (Europeans and Americans) are better off getting out of those places militarily (and let UN resolve the issues).
tryn2help22 m ago

Why does this group of people keep murdering innocent men, women and …Why does this group of people keep murdering innocent men, women and children?

Because they're extremists and they're fundamentally raised to hate westerners and given the silly belief that they'll get 40 virgin goats in heaven if they kill infidels.
davewave55 m ago

Ever commented on Trump? If you disapprove of the thread then leave rather …Ever commented on Trump? If you disapprove of the thread then leave rather than troll it?

I'm not trolling, I am just debating whether, when you think about it how relevant something really is. As a spoonfed nation that is loosing the ability of its indivudals to think for themselves I don't think I am doing a bad thing.

If you have a point, you should be able to defend it. You don't have to, you can say nothing, I am just asking people in this debate about why they stand by a certain point of view.
Edited by: "groenleader" 1st Nov 2017
.MUFC.30 m ago

Because they're extremists and they're fundamentally raised to hate …Because they're extremists and they're fundamentally raised to hate westerners and given the silly belief that they'll get 40 virgin goats in heaven if they kill infidels.

I got close to Heaven when they had to resuscitate me, there's abolutely no need for anything carnal in Heaven.

To be in the presence of the Creator is absolute bliss - one wants for nothing other than to be in that presence.
Edited by: "tryn2help" 1st Nov 2017
groenleader8 m ago

I'm not trolling, I am just debating whether, when you think about it how …I'm not trolling, I am just debating whether, when you think about it how relevant something really is. As a spoonfed nation that is loosing the ability of its indivudals to think for themselves I don't think I am doing a bad thing. If you have a point, you should be able to defend it. You don't have to, you can say nothing, I am just asking people in this debate about why they stand by a certain point of view.

you question why we discuss NY rather than Mogadishu - start another thread and leave if you aren't interested. You aren't doing a public service as you imply, seems you aren't interested in Mogadishu as you haven't started a thread about it but want to disrupt discussions you find awkward.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants