Found 18th Sep 2007
Moving to ADSL from cable and got a few questions.

1) I heard you should plug your modem / router into the primary socket in the house (the first connection in the house). Is that true / does ir really matter? I will have to use the 2nd or 3rd.

2) regarding microfilters; if the first socket only has a phone connected to it and the second socket only has a modem/router connected to it. Do i need filters on each socket?

Thanks

Pete

1. Misc
  2. Router
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Router
15 Comments

Banned

yeah to FILTER the different signals and you can plug it in any socket but if net goes off your best trying it in MAIN socket to see where the problem is sort of thing

Original Poster

[SIZE=2]Thanks. So as lomg as the extensions / connections are all fine I can plug it into any connection in the house?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Do I only need the filters on the extensions that have a phone on them or do i need one on the router too?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Hello!

Plug your micro filter into the MASTER socket and then your ADSL cable

Yes best to have a micro filter on EACH socket

If you dont your Line will not be as good as it COULD be!

Original Poster

qazim

Hello!Plug your micro filter into the MASTER socket and then your ADSL … Hello!Plug your micro filter into the MASTER socket and then your ADSL cable

I can't as I'm lodging, the main socket is in the landlords bit of the house - will it be OK on an extension?

qazim

Hello!Yes best to have a micro filter on EACH socketIf you dont your Line … Hello!Yes best to have a micro filter on EACH socketIf you dont your Line will not be as good as it COULD be!

Do I have to put them on extensions that are not used at all?

Do I have to put one on the extension that the modem will be connected to?

Thanks

]thinkbroadband.com formerely ]adslguide.org.uk

More guides, information, forum contributions on UK broadband than you can shake a stick at.

How I understand it:

Your phoneline gets split into two different frequencies, one for phone PSTN/POTS normal analogue line and one for adsl, that is what the filter does ensuring no cross talk and interference and SHOULD be used if you want a nice reliable connection, no filter = possibly damaging your adsl modem and causing yourself interference on your adsl broadband causing it not to work at all or operate at a degraded speed with lots of errors.

The normal master socket on some homes with an ADSL Faceplate has the option all nice and neat on the socket but if you use an extension from this master socket for adsl or a phone device you need a filter

Most homes have extensions everywhere which is why the dangly filters are needed for all adsl broadband and phone devices used on any extension used, basic rule of thumb: use a filter where there is a device, if the extension socket has no device, no need for a filter.

Banned

iv got a feeling he need filter on everyone as his socket is problies connected to main socket in land lords house,

do you know if when he gets a call you do?
if not only you need filter if yes all needs filters

i have 1 or 2 spare i could send for free if needed as im on a router not modem now

No Device = nothing to interfere on the line on that extension, of course a filter on every extension makes sure...

Personally I favour master socket face plate solution, neater, superior solution giving favourable conditions on the adsl line.

I've installed a BT NT5E master socket and face plate in 2 premises, BT did it for me at my place after a some problems and at old place when BT used to come round and install adsl for you

Original Poster

Yep my phone socket will be an extension of the landlords line. We will be sharing the same line but I'll only b using it for broadband and won't be connecting a phone at all. I'll just have my mobile. Landlord would be happy to put filters in all extensions but not sure how many extensions there are at the moment.

thanks for all the advice :thumbsup:

hayton2k3 if you could send me some spare filters I'd be very grateful as I am on a very tight budget.

Incidently, I'm thinking of going with plusnet's £14.99 offering but I notice they are not on quidco. Is there any way I can get some quidco like commission when signing up?

Pete

why dont you just use wireless wont it be easier?

tgbyhn10

I can't as I'm lodging, the main socket is in the landlords bit of the … I can't as I'm lodging, the main socket is in the landlords bit of the house - will it be OK on an extension?Do I have to put them on extensions that are not used at all?Do I have to put one on the extension that the modem will be connected to?Thanks

Estension is fine as long as it is a good cable, ive got mine in extention

You put Micro Filters on the socket

e.g

On the telphone line

then maybe in next room you got a spare socket not in use then dont need one on there

but then upstairs u might have one plugged into sky digi box
You would need one on there and so on!

Use wireless?

You still need to setup the connection point for the broadband in the first place.

PS: Avoid Plusnet like the plague

Original Poster

qazim

why dont you just use wireless wont it be easier?

Well you do get a free 1 port wireless router from plusnet but I don't know anything about the hardware. I'd rather use a wired connection if possible as this guarantees the max speed with no hacking esp as the house is within 50 yards of a pub and everyone will be hacking in over a pint.

BTW: with a 1 port wireless router can I connect my main PC via cable and in addition connect other computers via wireless or is it 1 computer via either method? There does not seem to be any info on the router plusnet provide.

Original Poster

schizoboy

Use wireless?PS: Avoid Plusnet like the plague

Why avoid plusnet?

Looking at thinkbroadband they get top marks for everything and they have a normal 01 telephone number for cust service - nothing I hate more than paying 0845 / 0870 prices to call cust service departments - esp when they cause the problem

Original Poster

qazim

but then upstairs u might have one plugged into sky digi boxYou would … but then upstairs u might have one plugged into sky digi boxYou would need one on there and so on!

OK she has sky tv so I'll need a filter for that too then. Didn't know it came in over the phone line.

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Sky TV itself doesn't but the interactive side does, and the charging you … Sky TV itself doesn't but the interactive side does, and the charging you for sky movies is all done over the phone.

OK that makes sense. thought it was odd. thanks 4 letting me know
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Show us your Photos 2017. October's Theme - 'Anything'32486
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247615
    3. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604803
    4. Free sweet Sunday’s code11

See more discussions