Newbie attempting to migrate wordpress web server in desperate need of urgent help

Posted 19th Dec 2019Edited by:"ShoelaceExpress"
I'm really sorry if this isn't appropriate for the HUKD discussion area but i'm seriously desperate right now.

TLDR Can someone please direct me through the steps i need to take to get the website up? Retaining miscellaneous old database information with inquiries and whatnot isn't necessary.

Details:

In my backup files i've got an sql file, a .ds store file and a cgi-bin zip containing the wp-admin folder among a few others and a bunch of wp php files.
In the server the folders are htdocs, logfiles and webapp - inside ht-docs is all the wordpress files.

I can only interact with files on the server via FTP and i can use phpMyAdmin for database stuff.

Thank you thank you thank you
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

12 Comments
If you do result to asking for help, Gary at 3001web.com is brilliant with Wordpress and also provides hosting, and 24 hour support, so he would be able to help you.
I’m not familiar with Wordpress however it should just be a case of copying the old data into the same location (probably the root or public_html). For the DB go in phpmyadmin, create a new DB then go to Import and select the SQL file. You will then likely need to modify a config file for Wordpress to use your new database credentials.
Wordpress at old sever is up right now? If yes there is a plug-in ‘All in one migration’.
Check this video
To be honest you shouldn't be offering to do any type of migration work if you haven't a clue what you are doing. On top of that how you going to migrate something that was inactive. Surely the person knows this?

Even if they don't it seems like you just want someone to sort it out then take credit.

I have been working with WordPress for over 6+ years and can probably do it in a hour.

You can start learning the basics on YouTube if you know what files you got and how it was generated. Should not take long to import SQL into a DB but its not as simple as that and login as there are so many other variables to consider.

I would suggest setting up a new WordPress installation, importing the SQL and see what happens. It will be some good learning for you.

If you want it done ASAP then I would say pay someone who knows what they are doing.
Edited by: "bally12345" 19th Dec 2019
choccie3219/12/2019 21:13

If you do result to asking for help, Gary at 3001web.com is brilliant with …If you do result to asking for help, Gary at 3001web.com is brilliant with Wordpress and also provides hosting, and 24 hour support, so he would be able to help you.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation, managed to get another guy to help which should hopefully sort it out!
lucasmeister19/12/2019 21:25

I’m not familiar with Wordpress however it should just be a case of c …I’m not familiar with Wordpress however it should just be a case of copying the old data into the same location (probably the root or public_html). For the DB go in phpmyadmin, create a new DB then go to Import and select the SQL file. You will then likely need to modify a config file for Wordpress to use your new database credentials.

It was the modifying databases part where i ran into a roadblock. Couldn't successfully import until i'd done so. Had to update database names and credentials, thanks for helping!
Sababd19/12/2019 21:30

Wordpress at old sever is up right now? If yes there is a plug-in ‘All in o …Wordpress at old sever is up right now? If yes there is a plug-in ‘All in one migration’. [Video] Check this video

Unfortunately no longer live. I actually tried using it on the old test server which was still live for some reason but the site size was over the free upload limit for the plugin. Tried the trick of using an old version of the plugin and editing the code but it was auto updating from version 6.77 to 7.5 every time i installed it so had to give up
bally1234519/12/2019 21:54

To be honest you shouldn't be offering to do any type of migration work if …To be honest you shouldn't be offering to do any type of migration work if you haven't a clue what you are doing. On top of that how you going to migrate something that was inactive. Surely the person knows this?Even if they don't it seems like you just want someone to sort it out then take credit.I have been working with WordPress for over 6+ years and can probably do it in a hour.You can start learning the basics on YouTube if you know what files you got and how it was generated. Should not take long to import SQL into a DB but its not as simple as that and login as there are so many other variables to consider.I would suggest setting up a new WordPress installation, importing the SQL and see what happens. It will be some good learning for you.If you want it done ASAP then I would say pay someone who knows what they are doing.

As i said in dm i totally agree asking for help and taking credit is shocking behaviour, really unlike me Wasn't positive exactly where the problem was so i knew what to start educating myself on, but now clearly the databases are worth a bit of time learning about...
ShoelaceExpress19/12/2019 22:39

Unfortunately no longer live. I actually tried using it on the old test …Unfortunately no longer live. I actually tried using it on the old test server which was still live for some reason but the site size was over the free upload limit for the plugin. Tried the trick of using an old version of the plugin and editing the code but it was auto updating from version 6.77 to 7.5 every time i installed it so had to give up

There are articles on internet how you can increase the limit, just google it
Sababd19/12/2019 22:48

There are articles on internet how you can increase the limit, just google …There are articles on internet how you can increase the limit, just google it

I've seen them, but when I installed the plugin it would automatically update to a version where the workaround no longer worked, or at least where updating the max file size value in the constant file no longer worked. Installed a plugin to force stop all updates too and it didn't make a difference, don't know if it's maybe caused by having too new a version of wordpress to support the 6.77 version plugin or something along those lines
If it’s built nicely all you should need is the contents of wp-content (themes, plugins and uploads) and a clean download of Wordpress. All that would need editing in the clean download is the wp-config file. Database wise you could open it in a text editor and replace instances of the old domain, though rarely an issue might occur with serialised data and string lengths (but this is rare)
BrumGB20/12/2019 05:26

If it’s built nicely all you should need is the contents of wp-content ( …If it’s built nicely all you should need is the contents of wp-content (themes, plugins and uploads) and a clean download of Wordpress. All that would need editing in the clean download is the wp-config file. Database wise you could open it in a text editor and replace instances of the old domain, though rarely an issue might occur with serialised data and string lengths (but this is rare)

I think this right here is exactly what I needed. That and changing the database name in the SQL file.
Still waiting on all the old files finishing uploading to see if it works, I've overwritten all the existing files on the new wordpress installation but took a copy of them incase that was stupid, do you reckon this is likely to work fine or cause problems?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants