NEWBIE Help with a new laptop or PC please?!

Found 20th Oct 2017
I need to upgrade my laptop . Currently it's running an i5, with 3GB ram and 250gb storage .

It is mainly used for playing games such as sims 3 , sims 4 and expansion packs as well as Minecraft. Occasionally I need to use MS Office.

It plays these games reasonably well but storage was an issue at times. We have games consoles too for more high end gaming.

I have been looking a gaming laptops and PCs but I'm getting a bit lost !

I would like to spend no more than £1000 (£1250 at a push). These are my choices so far:

HP Omen Laptop: i5 , 8gb Ram , 128gb SSD, 1TB HDD, Nvidia 1050 for £800

HP Omen Desktop i5, 8gb Ram , 256gb SSD, 1TB HDD , Nvidia 1060 for £960 (I'd also have to factor in monitor, mouse and keyboard)

Alienware Aurora R6 Desktop i5, 16gb RAM, 256 SSD , 1TB HDD, Nvidia 1070 for £1300 (I'd also have to factor in monitor , mouse and keyboard).

I like the Alienware but is it overkill for sims and Minecraft ? It's very unlikely I'd play high end games on the PC / laptop .

I would prefer a laptop for portability but the desktops seem to give you more for less.

I have most sims expansions packs and Minecraft has mods.

Any recommendations?
Community Updates
Ask
4 Comments
Buying an external hard drive is the cheapest option, or even installing a bigger one yourself if the laptop allows so.

The problem with having more storage is that it can slow down the computer more (or so I’ve been told, as mine has 1tb and with a graphics card that is built in, doesn’t load games or high quality stuff).
Hey, thanks for the reply.

My current laptop has no option to upgrade and has other annoying bugs / issues too so I'll definitely need a new one .

Would the 1tb storage be a problem on a gaming laptop designed for this ?
Dolphinzz3 h, 40 m ago

The problem with having more storage is that it can slow down the computer …The problem with having more storage is that it can slow down the computer more (or so I’ve been told, as mine has 1tb and with a graphics card that is built in, doesn’t load games or high quality stuff).

Whoever told you that was talking nonsense. Installing a larger drive won't slow the machine down. In fact larger drives tend to be marginally faster, although not usually enough to notice.

All the machines you're looking at are a little excessive, you might just benefit from the 1050 over slower options but not the faster cards.
Cheers for the reply . I thought they might be a bit overkill - especially the Alienware I love but really can't justify the price tag for sims

I do like the Omen 1050ti though .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants