Newfoundland dog owners - Car advice

Found 15th Nov 2011
Hi,
We are thinking about getting a newfoundland puppy sometime in the new year.
Before anyone says are you sure they are big...yes we know they are big!

Need to ask a couple of questions though...would it fit in the back of a ford focus? I know we'd need a dog guard but I can only seem to find ones that fit so that the dog only has boot space and Im pretty sure a newfoundland wouldn't appreciate only having the space of a boot!

I know you can get dog crates for the car but can you get one big enough for a newfie and would one that size fit in a ford focus or is it new car time??
Community Updates
MiscCar
31 Comments
http://www.dog-muzzles-store.ca/images/newfoundland-wire-dog-muzzle.jpg

You maybe think awwww, so cute with its little muzzle, thats not a muzzle, that was its cage 8 months ago
simplex

You maybe think awwww, so cute with its little muzzle, thats not a … You maybe think awwww, so cute with its little muzzle, thats not a muzzle, that was its cage 8 months ago

Lol bless
Does it fit in the back of a ford focus?

Have you never watched Digby?
transit

Does it fit in the back of a ford focus?Have you never watched Digby?

Nope, never heard of it.....off to google
Emzy81

Nope, never heard of it.....off to google

transit

LOL!
bossyboots

Definitely WONT fit in back of Ford Focus. I have an aunt who has two of … Definitely WONT fit in back of Ford Focus. I have an aunt who has two of these - gorgeous but absolutely GIGANTIC!!!

I had a feeling that would be the case, so..... can anyone suggest a car please
chesso

Hi EmzI remembered someone posting in the getting a suitable dog thread … Hi EmzI remembered someone posting in the getting a suitable dog thread the other daythat they had a newfoundland.You could ask them.Newfoundlands are really lovely dogs.

Thanks Chesso Ill go and find them
lol ... that took me ages to find that and BB has already answered. X)
Emzy81

I had a feeling that would be the case, so..... can anyone suggest a car … I had a feeling that would be the case, so..... can anyone suggest a car please

A Hummer
Some sort of estate?
bossyboots

Her dogs are just so lovely - big softies and they are like walking teddy … Her dogs are just so lovely - big softies and they are like walking teddy bears!

Aww you are making me want one sooner! Think we need to sort out a car first though
chesso

Some sort of estate?

Yeah I guess so, we don't need the back seats so thats why I was hoping in the back of a focus with the back seats down would be ok, can't find a dog guard for behind the front seats though.
Ive pm'd greyparrot about it, hopefully they can help too thanks for the link Chesso.

The breed has a great temperament.

bossyboots

Her dogs are just so lovely - big softies and they are like walking teddy … Her dogs are just so lovely - big softies and they are like walking teddy bears!

chesso

Some sort of estate?

You're welcome.
I don't know anything at all about cars! One of the many topics I would get 'nul points' in a test.

Maybe add to your title to attract car advice?

Lol yes from what Ive read we will spend an awful lot of time grooming and vacuuming up hair in the spring and summer But they also seem worth it.

bossyboots

She has an estate car - trying to find out what kind of car. I have just … She has an estate car - trying to find out what kind of car. I have just read through that other thread...............all I can say from my experience, is that those two particular dogs are so docile and as I said earlier, two teddy bears! They are strong dogs and they also need LOADS of grooming and care. Her two also eat lots of food. You need to factor that into everything else as its a big expense.

bossyboots

Her dogs are just so lovely - big softies and they are like walking … Her dogs are just so lovely - big softies and they are like walking teddy bears!

chesso

Some sort of estate?

Ha ha same here, I know nothing about cars! Ive edited the title now
My girlfriend would love a Newfoundland but she knows she can't afford to feed it and me. Should I be worried? oO
Have you seen the size of them? oO

Whilst you are thinking about what size car it will fit in the back of, you might wanna think about what car it can go in the front seat of, cos who is gonna argue with it?
I know this will get shot down by the anti-Skoda brigade, but the Octavia estate has the biggest load capacity in its class by some margin
hiya hunny just noticed pm and will answer you.
but just wanted to put on here also my mum has a newfoundland male she does have an estate but my dad has a ford focus and he goes on the back seats with a dog guard between the front 2 seats so it can be done.
dunfyboy

My girlfriend would love a Newfoundland but she knows she can't afford to … My girlfriend would love a Newfoundland but she knows she can't afford to feed it and me. Should I be worried? oO

lol my newfie costs me £15 a month to feed.
they dont eat anymore than a lab does.
1 x 15kg bag of dried food lasts a month.
here we go thought i would add some pics.
my mums male newfie when he was 2 years old, he has a reindeer outfit on his back for the doggie xmas party.
http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/greyparrot_2008/untitled.jpg

heres my female when she was just 5 months old.

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/greyparrot_2008/1585144-378m.jpg

now she is just lazy and constantly sleeps so all pics are of her sleeping but i will add one so you can see how big she is.
and here is my female she is 3 and half years old, fully grown and weighs 54kg hopefully you can make out the size of her againest my 3 seater sofa.

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/greyparrot_2008/Photo3219.jpg

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/greyparrot_2008/Photo3220.jpg
They are beautiful grey parrot x x
also this is the same type of guard my dad has between his front seats, doesnt stop buddy from shoving his head over and drooling on him though lol.
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4.php?query=ERMEBARR&emulate=accgen

also this is the sling for the back seat i was talking about, this is pretty much needed if you are going to keep the dog on the back seats.

bonniedogs.co.uk/dog…311
DLM

They are beautiful grey parrot x x

thanks hunny i have to laugh though she was like have you just took a pic of me and then off she goes back to sleep again.
greyparrot

thanks hunny i have to laugh though she was like have you just took a pic … thanks hunny i have to laugh though she was like have you just took a pic of me and then off she goes back to sleep again.

My hens do the same X)
bossyboots

£15 a month!!!!!!!! I am £12 a WEEK for my dog! I made the big mistake of … £15 a month!!!!!!!! I am £12 a WEEK for my dog! I made the big mistake of spoiling her and giving her the Chum pouches - now a box of 8 Senior pouches cost £6 and she has 2 boxes a week! If I was to do it all again then yes it would be the dried food. My sister got a dog 2years ago and I told her to start him with dried food - but no, she has went with the pouches as well.Then the cost of the treats as well - thats easily another £10 a month! Worth every penny though.

lol i know alot of the smaller dogs cost more.
everyone always says i bet it costs a fortune to feed how wrong they are.
anyways wet food doesnt agree with her so i just soak dry food and shes been fine with that.
tried all the expensive dry foods but shes not interested in it so on a cheaper brand at the moment.
i managed to get a sack for £5.99 reduced down last month.
i do sometimes buy chicken livers if they have been reduced in the supermarket and i strip chicken down after a roast so she does get some treats but i have to keep her weight down as she is just so lazy she doesnt burn it off.
Edited by: "greyparrot" 16th Nov 2011
just imagine the amount of ****
bossyboots

I have text 4 of my friends who have dogs asking their monthly food/treat … I have text 4 of my friends who have dogs asking their monthly food/treat bill..............Bob the mad labradoodle - £30Stella the Lhasa Apso - £35 but wait for it £50 A MONTH ON GROOMING & TREATMENTS LOOOLNoodles who is a gorgeous Golden Retriever - £45 and lastly, Colin the Collie £40. You are SOOOO lucky to have such a low pooch food bill especially considering the size of yours - and I would advise anyone who is getting a dog to give them the dried stuff.btw you dog is absolutely GORGEOUS! They really are beautiful dogs and oh so playful!!!

its crazy isnt it lol, and thankyou i love her too bits.
i once asked how much for a bath and groom for her and they told me £60 i thought nah so bought some nice shampoo for £10 and bathed her myself then its all hairdryers and the hairdressing scissors for all the fur that grows something crazy on her feet.
Edited by: "greyparrot" 16th Nov 2011
Thank you so much for the advice and pictures! They are adorable

And yep she would be getting dried food
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants