Groups

newly skimmed / plasteted walls. do i just paint with emulsion paint ?

I've just had my living room re- plastered / skimmed. We're planning on painting the walls and maybe papering the feature wall. Do I need to put anything on the wall before painting like a sealant before painting ? Many thanks.

11 Comments

Just cheap watered down emulsion as a base coat (s). do at least 2/3 coats...if you dont you will watch all your quslity paint absorb into your plaster.

Use watered down emulsion to do first coat.

Yep as above just use the cheapest matt white emulsion you can find and use that

Just had a room replastered, once it's completely dried out the plasterer recommended watering down white emulsion 50/50, to a milk like consistency and either paint or spray on.

Whatever you do, don't use anything like PVA or another sealant.

Use a mist coat, which is watered down emulsion paint.

I'd recommend getting a good trade brilliant white matt emulsion. Watering down depends on how good the paint is as cheaper paints like those sold by B&Q etc are mixed with a higher content of water anyway.

I bought so Macpherson eclispe emulsion from the crown trade shop and the difference was startling. Hardly used any paint for the same coverage. Also buy a long pile micropoly/microfibre roller sleeve and a good ridged roller and not one of those cheap thin metal ones that flex.

Good tip I was told was to soak the roller sleeve under a tap, wring the excess water out and then spin the roller till the spray disappears. This stops the sleeve from sucking the water out of the paint when you load up the 1st time. Makes it easier to clean as well because you don't have a load of semi dried paint at the core of the sleeve.

Banned

Before painting properly, paint with a very watered down emulation a couple of times which seems to act as a sealing bond and makes painting much easier once you do.

Ask your neighbors if they have any old white emulsion first that you can have. Better than paying for a new tin and wasting half of it ,

You should really wait until bone bone dry and wait a bit longer as you can trap moisture in the plaster that can cause problems when it tries to come out at a later time. Normally I wait at least 1 week until it is pink and if I can wait another I will.

Then you can paint it with watered down white emulsion so that it goes on easily as a base coat (unwatered down and it is too hard to apply). If you can't wait you can buy special paint that allows the plaster to breathe and get rid of the moisture still in it. Here is one wickes.co.uk/Wic…443 but each brand has it's own version.

In the winter when it is damp outside and colder it will take longer to get rid of the moisture than in the summer when the windows are open and a breeze. If you have a dehumidifier get it running in that room for a few days too.

Original Poster

Thankyou to everyone for their help and advice. It gives me more confidence when starting to decorate the room.
    Do plasterers usually leave the room a total mess ? Plaster over the floor / windows etc ?

mb021

Thankyou to everyone for their help and advice. It gives me more … Thankyou to everyone for their help and advice. It gives me more confidence when starting to decorate the room.Do plasterers usually leave the room a total mess ? Plaster over the floor / windows etc ?

No, they should clear the mess they made.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Phone "Upgrade"23
      2. I want some backless loafers for men11
      3. I am looking Ryman online discount code33
      4. Electricity69

See more discussions