News Groups free trials?

I am finally on unlimited broadband with a decent speed and have been wanting to give news groups a go ( as BT traffic shapes bittorrent)

Are there any providers that offer a free trial so i can check it out that dont require card signup??

24 Comments

Your ISP may well have a free newserver with a few days retention to get started.

As for a client - en.wikipedia.org/wik…ers

Which ISP? Hitnews have a 3 day free trial

They will all require card details before you get the trial in the hope that you forget to cancel and then get stung

No payment system required for hitnews 3 day trial

Original Poster

I am on BT, Will check out Hitnews
[edit]

Recommended Client?
Do newsgroup[s have pretty much all the same stuff as you find on torrent sites ?

Edited by: "Jetpac" 5th May 2011

Jetpac

I am on BT, Will check out Hitnews [edit]Recommended Client?and how do … I am on BT, Will check out Hitnews [edit]Recommended Client?and how do i sign up for the free trial on hitnews without payment data?

Just go through the sign up. BT have groups attached to them, but no SSL. I use newsleecher but grabit is ok (and free)

Sabnzbd for a client

Banned

any advantage of using a newsgroup over a file host server, like rapidshare/hotfile/filesonic etc?

They also max out your connection speed and rs even has ssl.
Edited by: "Adnan786" 5th May 2011

Easy set up = altbinz
More technical set up = sabnzb

Jetpac

I am on BT, Will check out Hitnews [edit]Recommended Client?Do … I am on BT, Will check out Hitnews [edit]Recommended Client?Do newsgroup[s have pretty much all the same stuff as you find on torrent sites ?

Much better for quality and quantity compared to torrents.

Don't know many torrent sites that offer full bluray rips for example.

Original Poster

set up sabnzb put in all the server settings for hitnews (SSL)
and it is moving at 2kb/s i thought it should max out my connection?

what am i doing wrong here?
Edited by: "Jetpac" 5th May 2011

sancho1983

Sabnzbd for a client

You use that with an RSS feed?

Original Poster

got it working with altbinz instead of sabnzb... This is pretty nifty!
However searching for files is not as good as using Bt unless im missing something?

Use another website to find what you want, such as Merlins Portal (google it). Just ensure the .nzb file is set up correctly to automatically open with Alt.Binz and you are good to go. Just the same as using torrents.

PhearFactor

You use that with an RSS feed?

I have it installed on my WHS, alongside sickbeard, a google chrome extension and therenamer.

It's pretty much automated. but no, not with RSS.

Didn't realise merlinsportal was back

Automated, but not with RSS?

Sounds fun, you have any more info?

PhearFactor

Automated, but not with RSS?Sounds fun, you have any more info?

Well I suppose sickbeard must use RSS, but i'm not too knowledgeable of RSS feeds

Basically you download Sickbeard, tell it what TV shows you watch, it scans your TV Show folder and will then automatically add the NZB to sabnzbd and download the file.

Using nzbmatrix and API keys makes all that possible

Therenamer then looks at the download file, renames the shows and moves them to the correct folder - all ready to watch on one of my Acer Revos running xbmc

I believe there's a program which does the same for films (couchpotato) but I could never get it to work properly. I have an RSS feed for certain search criteria sent to my Google Reader account, then navigate to the site and add it to sabnzbd through the chrome extension.

Ah, that Sickbeard looks good, I will have a look into that.

PhearFactor

Ah, that Sickbeard looks good, I will have a look into that.

It is, I watch a ridiculous amount of US TV (like 20 odd different shows) - keeping up with them used to be a headache, with Sickbeard it has pretty much looked after itself. Definitely worth a go

Original Poster

sancho1983

It is, I watch a ridiculous amount of US TV (like 20 odd different shows) … It is, I watch a ridiculous amount of US TV (like 20 odd different shows) - keeping up with them used to be a headache, with Sickbeard it has pretty much looked after itself. Definitely worth a go

recommendations for series?
Particularly comedy :P

Big Bang Theory

Raising hope, the middle, how I met your mother, better with you, rules of engagement (last 2 are reasonable) , modern family, mike and Molly (not bad), **** my dad says

Community
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846097
    2. PDF Drive is your search engine for PDF files. No annoying ads, no download…11
    3. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!1010
    4. Sad news about Barcelona1016

See more discussions