Groups

News to Wrestling Fans - Test Has Died Aged 33 - How He Died Is In Thread

Andrew 'Test' Martin has died aged 33....

thesun.co.uk/sol…ece

WIll expire if it has been posted before.

40 Comments

Read this earlier, can't believe another has gone so young

R.i.p

Remember watching him when i was younger. Pretty bad that he has died at such a young age.

I can remember the shock at Owen Hart dying before his match, that was awful, then Eddie Guerrero now Test.

Unbelievable, cheers for bringing it to my attention anyway or i wouldnt of known.

Original Poster

stevey_p7;4642359

Remember watching him when i was younger. Pretty bad that he has died at … Remember watching him when i was younger. Pretty bad that he has died at such a young age. I can remember the shock at Owen Hart dying before his match, that was awful, then Eddie Guerrero now Test.Unbelievable, cheers for bringing it to my attention anyway or i wouldnt of known.

And Benoit, the freak.......

sancho1983;4642227

Read this earlier, can't believe another has gone so young

I can, the cases over the last few years should put off anyone thinking of using steroids

Original Poster

I remember telling these kids when Benoit died, I must of been like 11 or 12 and these kids were probably 8.

They asked how he died and I said that he killed himself
    They asked why and I said I didn't know

Then this lad just said the most funniest thing that i'll remember forever.

'Maybe he didn't want to go to ECW'

Titchimp;4642381

I can, the cases over the last few years should put off anyone thinking … I can, the cases over the last few years should put off anyone thinking of using steroids

+1

The popular star had previously had problems with steroids and alcohol.

Says it all really, just another form of suicide by a different name:?

I remember him, so many wrestlers dying, Chris Benoit was a weird one.

harlzter;4642467

+1Says it all really, just another form of suicide by a different name:?

why does it always have to be steroids, I think given the track history it is far more likely to be a mix of muscle relaxants and pain medication.

shame, he had drink and drug problems although was meant to be getting over them. Was a pretty decent wrestler as well.

keeyop;4655216

why does it always have to be steroids, I think given the track history … why does it always have to be steroids, I think given the track history it is far more likely to be a mix of muscle relaxants and pain medication.

Because once you have taken the roids you are on to a fast track to other problems, they cause long lasting damage to the heart (lets not forget its a muscle too) that takes years to recover from (if it all) even when the abuse has stopped. I've seen people who have fubar'd their lives with them, muscles literally splitting inside the body, just remember that the physical visual changes occur to hidden muscles too ones the eye can't see.

Banned

Do wrestling fans ever think that if they stopped watching, then they'd maybe force the WWE to actually change the way it treats workers, maybe give them some of the same rights that they have?

Or is it a case that there's always a new superstar on the way?

borolad94;4642374

And Benoit, the freak.......

borolad94;4642462

I remember telling these kids when Benoit died, I must of been like 11 or … I remember telling these kids when Benoit died, I must of been like 11 or 12 and these kids were probably 8.They asked how he died and I said that he killed himselfThey asked why and I said I didn't knowThen this lad just said the most funniest thing that i'll remember forever.'Maybe he didn't want to go to ECW'

maybe when you grow up a bit you will realise you should NEVER have wrote this.
    sick individual laughing at a dead person and the mental problems he suffered, mother must be proud!

FilthAndFurry;4656929

Do wrestling fans ever think that if they stopped watching, then they'd … Do wrestling fans ever think that if they stopped watching, then they'd maybe force the WWE to actually change the way it treats workers, maybe give them some of the same rights that they have?Or is it a case that there's always a new superstar on the way?

If people stopped watching then they would fire people, make pay cuts etc. They will never introduce insurance health benefits etc.

Banned

sancho1983;4657056

If people stopped watching then they would fire people, make pay cuts … If people stopped watching then they would fire people, make pay cuts etc. They will never introduce insurance health benefits etc.

So which wrestler will die next - because it's a certainty that they will.

No doubt, my guess would be Kurt Angle, but that's not something which can be solved by fans not watching. Needs to be government imposed, or Vince to die/pass it onto Shane who will grow a conscience and step in.

The welness policy and offering rehab programs for all former employees (of which Test took part in last year) is a step in the right direction

sancho1983;4657056

If people stopped watching then they would fire people, make pay cuts … If people stopped watching then they would fire people, make pay cuts etc. They will never introduce insurance health benefits etc.

too true, aren't the viewing figures dipping around the four mark at the moment as opposed to the 12+ share they were doing during the monday night war era.

Seem to remember him being a pretty good wrestler - although not as good as my all time fav Koko B Ware (not just for the parrot thing!), RIP.

FilthAndFurry;4656929

Do wrestling fans ever think that if they stopped watching, then they'd … Do wrestling fans ever think that if they stopped watching, then they'd maybe force the WWE to actually change the way it treats workers, maybe give them some of the same rights that they have?Or is it a case that there's always a new superstar on the way?

they have changed dramatically since the chris benoit incident. Someone else mentioned it is called the wellness policy and the wrestlers have to go through a series of tests before being passed fit to wrestle.

Test actually failed that test a couple of years ago and wasn't given a contract by the wwe, was semi retired from wrestling and hasn't been in the wwe since 2007 I think but he was still doing the odd match/tour but not with the wwe.

so although in the past the way the talent was pretty much forced to go down the roids, painkillers and whatever other drugs that got the wrestlers through a crazy schedule they have improved greatly since benoit.

keeyop;4657674

too true, aren't the viewing figures dipping around the four mark at the … too true, aren't the viewing figures dipping around the four mark at the moment as opposed to the 12+ share they were doing during the monday night war era.

lack of competition is the main reason for that, also shift in trends, viewing figures don't take into account tivos etc. etc.

PPV buyrates, until very recently, have been pretty constant, and as long as John Cena and Jeff Hardy keep shifting merchandise then there's no reason to improve the current product. Which is a shame.

Original Poster

Where's this sprung back into life from :thumbsup:

borolad94;4658067

Two days ago,
    Its about time this "sport" had some proper regulation. When you've got young men pumping themselves full of drugs just so they can perform theres something seriously wrong.

borolad94;4658067

lol, it's nice to not get flamed on a forum when you talk about wrestling in a grown up way!!

Original Poster

sancho1983;4658244

lol, it's nice to not get[SIZE="5"] flamed[/SIZE] on a forum when you … lol, it's nice to not get[SIZE="5"] flamed[/SIZE] on a forum when you talk about wrestling in a grown up way!!

What do you mean by that?

I mean that usually when wretling comes up on a forum people start with the "you know it's not real don't you" etc. etc.

What did you think i meant?

sancho1983;4658019

lack of competition is the main reason for that, also shift in trends, … lack of competition is the main reason for that, also shift in trends, viewing figures don't take into account tivos etc. etc.PPV buyrates, until very recently, have been pretty constant, and as long as John Cena and Jeff Hardy keep shifting merchandise then there's no reason to improve the current product. Which is a shame.

well as bad as WWE is, at least its watchable, the couple of RAW's following No Way Out were actually as good as it's been in years, it's just a shame they couldn't maintain the quality. I guess until TNA sorts it's act out and learns how to book decent T.V. (rather than recycling the worst of the old WCW angles) or ROH gets widespread distribution then it's pretty much the only choice

Original Poster

sancho1983;4658389

What did you think i meant?

I didn't know what you ment, that's why I asked, I thought it might be a sort of slang...

Original Poster

keeyop;4659233

well as bad as WWE is, at least its watchable, the couple of RAW's … well as bad as WWE is, at least its watchable, the couple of RAW's following No Way Out were actually as good as it's been in years, it's just a shame they couldn't maintain the quality. I guess until TNA sorts it's act out and learns how to book decent T.V. (rather than recycling the worst of the old WCW angles) or ROH gets widespread distribution then it's pretty much the only choice

I watched WWE for about 5 years from about the beginning of the 21st Century then I watched TNA for about a year in 07. I still keep up to date with both shows by looking on the websites on a Tues, Wednes and Sat.

borolad94;4665312

I didn't know what you ment, that's why I asked, I thought it might be a … I didn't know what you ment, that's why I asked, I thought it might be a sort of slang...

I suppose it is slang, flamed on a forum - onlineslangdictionary.com/def…ame

keeyop;4659233

well as bad as WWE is, at least its watchable, the couple of RAW's … well as bad as WWE is, at least its watchable, the couple of RAW's following No Way Out were actually as good as it's been in years, it's just a shame they couldn't maintain the quality. I guess until TNA sorts it's act out and learns how to book decent T.V. (rather than recycling the worst of the old WCW angles) or ROH gets widespread distribution then it's pretty much the only choice

Yeah there has been a few good ones recently, WM is shaping up to be pretty good, but as long as there's no competition they can sit back on their laurels. ROH just got a TV deal didn't it? either them or TNA would need a huuuge backer to put the money into it to make it viable. oh and sack Russo!!

sancho1983;4667055

Yeah there has been a few good ones recently, WM is shaping up to be … Yeah there has been a few good ones recently, WM is shaping up to be pretty good, but as long as there's no competition they can sit back on their laurels. ROH just got a TV deal didn't it? either them or TNA would need a huuuge backer to put the money into it to make it viable. oh and sack Russo!!

The problem with TNA is that it does have a strong financial backer (which is how it can afford to operate at a loss) a few years ago it got by on terrible T.V. but excellent PPV's the sad thing is that now it's PPV's are just as bad as the average episode of Impact but it's drawing in more viewers (although PPV buys are down in the sub 20000 region), so unfortunately (from a booking perspective) they think they are on the right track.

ROH has picked up a U.S. network deal with HDnet but its hard to know what kind of penetration they'll get and what the finances of the deal will be, the bonus is that HDnet are supplying the equipment so everything will be shot in 1080i which will at least make their video library look pretty sweet.

WWE seems to be in the same kind of rut it was in in the early to mid 90's (post Summerslam '92 to the birth of the attitude era) I still watch it (well tape and view with a finger on FFW) but that's pretty much just out of habit as I've been watching for as long as Sky has carried the broadcasts, it just annoys me that they keep going on about a lack of main event talent, when they seem to refuse to make any new stars or bury the few young guys they have to elevate an existing main eventer (look at Cody Rhodes on last nights RAW as an example). If you compare the number of stars that the WWE has that are under 30 to the guys that are over 30 then the statistic is a little bit scary.

I used to watch WCW, ECW and New Japan as well (it's kind of funny to see TNA trying to fill the void that WCW left whilst ROH seems to have successfully updated and improved upon the ECW style) If TNA could just pull its finger out of it's ass and hire some kind of continuity person to make sure that the booking makes sense (and have a rule that they shouldn't have any 'Dusty' finishes for at least the next year) then the product would grow along with the fan base and they might actually be able to shift a few PPV's (as opposed to having a 2 hour show called 'Total Non-Stop Action that had a recent episode that featured only 17 minutes of in-ring wrestling).

I was talking to someone earlier about how the best match at WM will be HBK vs Taker, two guys in their 40s, who have been wrestling for 20 odd years. That's a telling statement!!

Can;t see any younger talent ready to push through that 'glass ceiling', all of the promos (apart from the old school guys) are scripted which doesn't allow them to be who they are and get their character over on their own

sancho1983;4668420

I was talking to someone earlier about how the best match at WM will be … I was talking to someone earlier about how the best match at WM will be HBK vs Taker, two guys in their 40s, who have been wrestling for 20 odd years. That's a telling statement!!Can't see any younger talent ready to push through that 'glass ceiling', all of the promos (apart from the old school guys) are scripted which doesn't allow them to be who they are and get their character over on their own

too true, the problem is, I'm also only really interested in Taker vs HBK out of the Wrestlemania card. The big problem in that is that I'm not interested because of anything that creative has done to build the feud, I'm only interested because of the talent of the two guys pretty much guarantees that it will be the best match of the night.

and I agree it is creative that is definitely at fault on the younger talent. they have very good wrestlers like Carlito and Shelton Benjamin (being the first two that spring to mind) that have shown genuine promise but are just so miss handled.

to use Benjamin and Carlito as two quick examples; I remember when Shelton transferred to RAW and got two clean victories over HHH in a couple of RAW main events, it really looked like they were going to push him as something special, jump forward a couple of months and they needed somebody to job to Hunter in a time limit qualification match for the elimination chamber so they throw out Shelton, mention nothing of their previous encounters (baring in mind this was the first time they had wrestled since) and have him lose to Hunter in around 6 minutes.

Meanwhile Carlito who had a pretty decent angle of being the only guy at that time who had never lost to John Cena (he even beat him for the U.S. title on Smackdown), gets one shot at a main event rematch when he transferred to RAW (this time they even play up the angle) only to have him be dominated by Cena for around 8 minutes before being tossed aside for a stupid interference angle and that was the last we ever saw of him being even close to main event status.

If you go back a few years they even did the same thing to Test, I remember when he won the immunity match shortly after the invasion angle (I'll steer clear of going into the problems with him joining the WCW/ECW alliance in the first place) so according to the stipulation (no matter what he does) he cannot be fired for a year, so what does creative come up with to have him do...

absolutely nothing.

I swear to god I keep hearing that the problem with wrestling today is too many kids who grew up on comic books like to think they know how to book a wrestling match. but the one bonus that comic book writers seem to have is knowing ho to put a fresh spin on something without trampling over 50+ years of history. Maybe the WWE would be better served to hire a couple of comic book geeks than the yes men who surround Vince at the moment.

either that or Vince should just step aside and hand the booking over to HHH (I have a feeling he would be genuinely good at it).

I definitely agree with that last statement, get HBK to run development as well and the product would be great again.

I never really rated Carlito, but i agree with your sentiments. Both him and Shelton are underused.

rip test

sancho1983;4676387

I definitely agree with that last statement, get HBK to run development … I definitely agree with that last statement, get HBK to run development as well and the product would be great again.I never really rated Carlito, but i agree with your sentiments. Both him and Shelton are underused.

It took me a while to warm to Carlito, I think it was the three way feud for the IC title between him, Shelton and John Morrison that really showcased him to the best of his abilities, put those three together and your pretty much guaranteed a good match, not the IC title is worth anything anymore, come to think of it, are any of the belts?

r.i.p test wont forget u

To echo earlier comments, WWF/E peaked in the late nineties for me, who can forget classic moments like this...

youtube.com/wat…MFg

Gotta love Val Venis, criminally wasted by the WWE though after the RTC rubbish.

Original Poster

He died of a painkiller overdose, like Heath Ledger.
    thesun.co.uk/sol…ece
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767246
      2. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927354
      3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826358
      4. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48710948

See more discussions