Newspapers - Why?

Banned 83
Found 30th Apr 2009
Why do people still buy newspapers when they are rather anachronistic?

News is no long broken by newspapers, but by news channels, radio and online. They're all about confirming people's prejudices, the most popular ones being 'read' only by illiterate braindead zombies.

How long until we move away from the rubbish newspapers print and on to honest, unbiased sources that encourage opposing views and maybe challenge us to think?

83 Comments

illiterate braindead zombies!

nice sweeping generalisation there :-D

People want to read what they already think!!

Did you by anychance watch Charlie brooker last night?

He had a bit on newspapers.

Original Poster Banned

michelleleemoo;5079304

illiterate braindead zombies!nice sweeping generalisation there :-D

True though. The Sun has no worth as a newspaper and lacks the wit to be comedic so the only answer left is that it's read by idiots.

The Mail isn't read just by idiots so I apologise. It's also read by misogynists, racists and people who think The Sun is for oiks.

Page 3?

Passes the day between Jeremy Kyle and Loose Women

How long until we move away from the rubbish newspapers print and on to … How long until we move away from the rubbish newspapers print and on to honest, unbiased sources that encourage opposing views and maybe challenge us to think?

There aren't any unbiased sources.
I don't read papers, hence why I don't hate foreigners, and believe that my neighbour wants to fiddle with my child.

Brilliant for lining the chicken house.

greg_68;5079347

Page 3?Passes the day between Jeremy Kyle and Loose Women

I second that

on the tube in London (and id imagine everywhere else) everyone reads as its the only thing to do and 90% of them are reading the free papers.

Original Poster Banned

vengod;5079337

Did you by anychance watch Charlie brooker last night?He had a bit on … Did you by anychance watch Charlie brooker last night?He had a bit on newspapers.

No, but I like him. One of the few people on the BBC who actually talks to someone other than the lowest common denominator.

Also, why do we aim so much content for the 'lowest common denominator'. We should exclude these people and force them to engage with something a little more stimulating.

Original Poster Banned

greg_68;5079347

Page 3?Passes the day between Jeremy Kyle and Loose Women

That would imply 2 hours of solid masturbation over something about as titillating as a public swimming pool.

Hey my parents own the village newsagents so i say keep buying people and top up my inheritance lol

FilthAndFurry;5079378

That would imply 2 hours of solid masturbation over something about as … That would imply 2 hours of solid masturbation over something about as titillating as a public swimming pool.

Hey, don't knock it, 2 hours is a right workout. You should see my left bicep.

not all of the working population are sitting in front of a computer all day

some may not have access to internet at all

dont know what the sales are for newspapers but it runs into millions a day - supply and demand

cannot understand why you classed people as illiterate braindead zombies - they wouldnt buy newspaper otherwise

Original Poster Banned

leecher;5079368

on the tube in London (and id imagine everywhere else) everyone reads as … on the tube in London (and id imagine everywhere else) everyone reads as its the only thing to do and 90% of them are reading the free papers.

There's people to talk to - except they might be paedophiles, or terrorists, or they might have the bird/swine/dodo flu. (or if you read the Mail, they might be black).

thesaint;5079354

There aren't any unbiased sources.I don't read papers, hence why I don't … There aren't any unbiased sources.I don't read papers, hence why I don't hate foreigners, and believe that my neighbour wants to fiddle with my child.

I agree that any report filtered through a person is by definition biased, but the internet provides different sides of the story.

What we need is a news aggregator that actively encourages readers to investigate what they read . Or we just need less stupid people.

Original Poster Banned

holly100;5079421

cannot understand why you classed people as illiterate braindead zombies … cannot understand why you classed people as illiterate braindead zombies - they wouldnt buy newspaper otherwise

They are and they do.

We could replace soaps with news shows.

FilthAndFurry;5079426

There's people to talk to - except they might be paedophiles, or … There's people to talk to - except they might be paedophiles, or terrorists, or they might have the bird/swine/dodo flu. (or if you read the Mail, they might be

hahaha

The mail has one thing thats right then.

Original Poster Banned

dmissy13;5079382

Hey my parents own the village newsagents so i say keep buying people and … Hey my parents own the village newsagents so i say keep buying people and top up my inheritance lol

They're only going to sink in popularity so either burn it down and claim the insurance or burn it down with them in it and claim the insurance.

(This of course assumes you aren't close).

Gave up reading newspapers years ago. Most of them, if not all, are dumbed down versions of the Dandy anyway. I have flicked through the Metro left by other passengers on the train, but couldn't be bothered actually reading much of it. The is no unbiased media, so I think we all make up our own minds on what is factual.
Maybe buying newspapers / magazines is a tradition not easily broken.

Banned

dont buy or read newspapers never have, doesnt stop me being a moronic idiot though, and next

Sometimes it's nice to have a cup of coffee and flick through the papers.

Original Poster Banned

Ungreat;5079561

Sometimes it's nice to have a cup of coffee and flick through the papers.

Read the coffee packet instead.

Banned

michelleleemoo;5079304

illiterate braindead zombies!nice sweeping generalisation there :-D

Indeed.

Naeem786;5079313

People want to read what they already think!!

People always read what they already know.

thesaint;5079354

There aren't any unbiased sources.I don't read papers, hence why I don't … There aren't any unbiased sources.I don't read papers, hence why I don't hate foreigners, and believe that my neighbour wants to fiddle with my child.

Wow. I'd call the police if I were you. Fiddleing with your child = Serious business.

cos they cost like 20p and its summat to read on ya break at work, delving too deep here my son, theres nowt there.

FilthAndFurry;5079460

They're only going to sink in popularity so either burn it down and claim … They're only going to sink in popularity so either burn it down and claim the insurance or burn it down with them in it and claim the insurance.(This of course assumes you aren't close).

just the sort of rubish printed in todays papers, the opinions of very sad people :whistling:

Original Poster Banned

kungfu;5079681

cos they cost like 20p and its summat to read on ya break at work, … cos they cost like 20p and its summat to read on ya break at work, delving too deep here my son, theres nowt there.

You know there are things that can cost about the same that you can read - books.

As for your assessment of 'there's nowt there', that's plain wrong. If you can't see the negative influence that newspapers have had on the level of debate then I think the terrorists have already won (or something equally apocalyptic).

illiterate braindead zombies

When you say things like this, you go seriously down in my estimation. And as you know, by definition readers cannot be illiterate or brain-dead.

Give me a Sun-reader who is a decent person over a well-educated snob any day.

FilthAndFurry;5079748

You know there are things that can cost about the same that you can read … You know there are things that can cost about the same that you can read - books. As for your assessment of 'there's nowt there', that's plain wrong. If you can't see the negative influence that newspapers have had on the level of debate then I think the terrorists have already won (or something equally apocalyptic).

books dont have jugs on page 3 mate, i dont read a paper much myself but if i get one i buy the star or the sun... label me a 'braindead zombie' if you wish my friend, ill take it on the chin as i collect my 55k wage packet for sat on the net :thumbsup: :w00t:

Original Poster Banned

Liddle ol' me;5079800

illiterate braindead zombiesWhen you say things like this, you go … illiterate braindead zombiesWhen you say things like this, you go seriously down in my estimation. And as you know, by definition readers cannot be illiterate or brain-dead. Give me a Sun-reader who is a decent person over a well-educated snob any day.

I actually wrote 'read' which implied that people don't actively engage with the articles, either skimming them and nodding their head in agreement or just looking at the funny pictures.

And if I had a decent person who was a Sun reader I would not give them to you - they are very much a limited commodity much like a golden ticket to the Wonka chocolate factory.

(Said factory would of course be free of Oompa Loompas as they are immigrants. And they aren't white).

Liddle ol' me;5079800

illiterate braindead zombiesWhen you say things like this, you go … illiterate braindead zombiesWhen you say things like this, you go seriously down in my estimation. And as you know, by definition readers cannot be illiterate or brain-dead. Give me a Sun-reader who is a decent person over a well-educated snob any day.

+1
Only buy a newspaper if I am likely to have an extended wait somewhere or if there is something or particular interest in it that I want. Most times if I buy a newspaper it is out of date by the time I get around to reading it. Different though if someone else is reading it as it then grabs my attention. Funny that.
Read a wide range of newspapers online

Original Poster Banned

kungfu;5079814

books dont have jugs on page 3 mate, i dont read a paper much myself but … books dont have jugs on page 3 mate, i dont read a paper much myself but if i get one i buy the star or the sun... label me a 'braindead zombie' if you wish my friend, ill take it on the chin as i collect my 55k wage packet for sat on the net :thumbsup: :w00t:

Strange that you display ambivalence to my opinion of you, yet feel the need to bolster your online persona by listing what I'm sure is a very agreeable wage.

FilthAndFurry;5079858

Strange that you display ambivalence to my opinion of you, yet feel the … Strange that you display ambivalence to my opinion of you, yet feel the need to bolster your online persona by listing what I'm sure is a very agreeable wage.

any excuse to quote that figure!!!!...... especially from an uneducated braindead zombie like myself woooooooooot!!!! loving life, loving your fail threads....next!!!!!:p

Original Poster Banned

kungfu;5079908

any excuse to quote that figure!!!!...... especially from an uneducated … any excuse to quote that figure!!!!...... especially from an uneducated braindead zombie like myself woooooooooot!!!! loving life, loving your fail threads....next!!!!!:p

Just be aware that there's always someone who earns more than you, although they might not feel that they have to mention it in a slightly 'surprised I could earn anything really' manner.:thumbsup:

FilthAndFurry;5079934

Just be aware that there's always someone who earns more than you, … Just be aware that there's always someone who earns more than you, although they might not feel that they have to mention it in a slightly 'surprised I could earn anything really' manner.:thumbsup:

yeh i know, the figure was just for you bro :thumbsup: maybe one day after uni and when hukd is a distant memory....you too can earn it :w00t:

Original Poster Banned

kungfu;5079958

yeh i know, the figure was just for you bro :thumbsup: maybe one day … yeh i know, the figure was just for you bro :thumbsup: maybe one day after uni and when hukd is a distant memory....you too can earn it :w00t:

A) not at uni and B) if only I wish upon a star could I earn that.

Anyway, back to the point about how newspapers are rubbish...

FilthAndFurry;5080004

A) not at uni and B) if only I wish upon a star could I earn that. … A) not at uni and B) if only I wish upon a star could I earn that. Anyway, back to the point about how newspapers are rubbish...

so what do you do out of interest?

Original Poster Banned

kungfu;5080032

so what do you do out of interest?

Read books, investigate weird noises in the night, watch 24 hour news channels - really the list of things I do out of interest is quite long.

FilthAndFurry;5080053

Read books, investigate weird noises in the night, watch 24 hour news … Read books, investigate weird noises in the night, watch 24 hour news channels - really the list of things I do out of interest is quite long.

job seeker in other words?

FilthAndFurry;5080053

Read books, investigate weird noises in the night, watch 24 hour news … Read books, investigate weird noises in the night, watch 24 hour news channels - really the list of things I do out of interest is quite long.

Are you a security guard then?

Original Poster Banned

kungfu;5080068

job seeker in other words?

unemployed, temporarily between jobs, unintended sabbatical.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. PlayStation VR is the number 1 selling product on Amazon right now11
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7771752
    3. Sky VIP free tickets alert77
    4. Brexit: Euro zone economy set for best year in a decade as UK registers wor…1324

See more discussions