Next-day boiler installation companies. Avoid?

Posted 17th Oct
My parents' 40-year-old back boiler system is on its final legs and I'm considering replacing it with a combi. 2 bed bungalow, siting the combi in the bathroom airing cupboard in place of the hot water tank, which I understand would be a permitted zone 2 location.

BOXT offer reasonable quotes for this for Worcester Bosch, and another company called Heatables offer the same next-day service for Viessmann boilers. Both offer a 10 year parts and labour warranty.

I know many people will say you're better off finding a local gas engineer to do the job, but are there any solid arguments for avoiding these next-day installers?

The BOXT quotes of about £3k are fixed and seem quite cheap for all the work involved. When I consider the peace of mind and the fact that back boiler British Gas Homecare is £300/year with no guarantee of being able to repair it, I'm tempted to get it done.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
Put the boiler in the loft and install a nest or hive to control it.

Check the Worcester Bosch website for local accredited installers.

Price should be around £2k ish (unless London or Birmingham etc).

If installing into the loft you may need to board a walkway to the boiler and will need a loft ladder installed to allow servicing.

Solid reason is that £3k is expensive and boilers these days don’t need parts for the first 10 years so long warranties are just a gimmick. My Worcester Bosch is now 8 years old and never had any problems, I had one put in my last house too and that was fantastic too.

Just remember if there is a copper heater tank in the airing cupboard that is worth money for scrap to them as well as any piping they remove and the price should somewhat reflect this. I seem to remember the tanks at one point some years ago being worth £100 as scrap.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 17th Oct
Yeah put in loft. No way to check warning lights and day to day running. Also when some idiot (me) puts screw through pipe and needs to access boiler. Guess what..it's in loft. No ladder as in garage locked away with customers 40 miles away. I want to forget that day. I was fixing crack in ceiling and 22mm pipe above lounge ceiling was poorly fitted pushing plaster board down. I never knew until it was too late . No. I don't carry small ladder only my big triple that day
Edited by: "wayners" 17th Oct
cmdr_elito17/10/2019 07:30

Put the boiler in the loft and install a nest or hive to control it.Check …Put the boiler in the loft and install a nest or hive to control it.Check the Worcester Bosch website for local accredited installers.Price should be around £2k ish (unless London or Birmingham etc).If installing into the loft you may need to board a walkway to the boiler and will need a loft ladder installed to allow servicing.Solid reason is that £3k is expensive and boilers these days don’t need parts for the first 10 years so long warranties are just a gimmick. My Worcester Bosch is now 8 years old and never had any problems, I had one put in my last house too and that was fantastic too.Just remember if there is a copper heater tank in the airing cupboard that is worth money for scrap to them as well as any piping they remove and the price should somewhat reflect this. I seem to remember the tanks at one point some years ago being worth £100 as scrap.

That has to be a bad idea. Boilers can leak and I can't imagine a boiler engineer would contemplate servicing/repairing a boiler located in a loft. In fact I would imagine you would struggle to get anyone to actually install a boiler in a loft.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 17th Oct
OllieSt17/10/2019 08:02

That has to be a bad idea. Boilers can leak and I can't imagine a boiler …That has to be a bad idea. Boilers can leak and I can't imagine a boiler engineer would contemplate servicing/repairing a boiler located in a loft. In fact I would imagine you would struggle to get anyone to actually install a boiler in a loft.

My boiler is in the loft and British Gas who I use for servicing have never had a problem servicing it (was serviced last month).

It’s quite common to put boilers in lofts and there isn’t a problem with leaking as the pipes in most bungalows go up into the roof anyway. I have a 4 bed detached house and the boiler is located on wall in the loft and gas pipe goes outside the house and into the boiler. Many of my friends have had theirs moved into the loft when boilers are replaced as it’s a real space saver and lofts are well ventilated minimising the risk around gas/emissions leaks.
I would say £1000 is what they are charging to remove the old unit.
Do a quote with a like for like exchange.
ie combi for combi.
Then you will see
If it is on the loft and the pressure goes, which it does, not exactly the easiest place to access when needing to 'reset the taps'.
JimboParrot17/10/2019 08:12

If it is on the loft and the pressure goes, which it does, not exactly the …If it is on the loft and the pressure goes, which it does, not exactly the easiest place to access when needing to 'reset the taps'.

Depends on the loft, you can typically stand up fully in most bungalow lofts so it wouldn’t be that bad. It’s a bit harder for me but I just leave the tap key in it so only have to turn it and fill to pressure and done.

Only check it once a year really when I bleed the radiators so it isn’t a big deal. Pressure only goes when you have a leak, most old people would call in a plumber whereas I repair it myself and repressive the water in the system.

Appreciate that it might not be for everyone but it isn’t a problem either if your house has sufficient space in loft and you want to save space inside the house then it’s worth considering.
Remember to factor in the annual servicing cost for the 10 year warranty to count . Usually it is much cheaper to get a local guy to do this than a big company.
cmdr_elito17/10/2019 08:16

Depends on the loft, you can typically stand up fully in most bungalow …Depends on the loft, you can typically stand up fully in most bungalow lofts so it wouldn’t be that bad. It’s a bit harder for me but I just leave the tap key in it so only have to turn it and fill to pressure and done. Only check it once a year really when I bleed the radiators so it isn’t a big deal. Pressure only goes when you have a leak, most old people would call in a plumber whereas I repair it myself and repressive the water in the system.Appreciate that it might not be for everyone but it isn’t a problem either if your house has sufficient space in loft and you want to save space inside the house then it’s worth considering.

Not so much a case of being able to stand up in the loft, but being able to get in there in the first place especially if of a certain age! Much easier just to open a cupboard door for access to the boiler.

The pressure does not only go when you have a leak.
Edited by: "JimboParrot" 17th Oct
There must be a good reason for it to go in the loft, ours is in the loft...

Is it something to do with the flue being at head height in a bungalow or if its on the ground floor, certain distance away from windows and doors so the exhaust doesnt blow back in?
I'm debating moving mine to the loft, mine has a large hatch, decent ladder and is fully boarded with plenty of lighting and mountains of head room so you can easily walk about. It's more accessible than my current one at the back of a full cupboard.
OllieSt17/10/2019 08:02

That has to be a bad idea. Boilers can leak and I can't imagine a boiler …That has to be a bad idea. Boilers can leak and I can't imagine a boiler engineer would contemplate servicing/repairing a boiler located in a loft. In fact I would imagine you would struggle to get anyone to actually install a boiler in a loft.

As long as there’s access to loft ie a ladder and boarded walkway it’s not a problem.
I've learnt something here today about placing boiler in loft.

Personally I would still utilise something like this for peace of mind (a tray underneath the boiler should suffice). I was given a free Hive water leak sensor and it's not only been useless, I can't seem to remove the device from the app however much I try.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 17th Oct
dcx_badass17/10/2019 09:40

I'm debating moving mine to the loft, mine has a large hatch, decent …I'm debating moving mine to the loft, mine has a large hatch, decent ladder and is fully boarded with plenty of lighting and mountains of head room so you can easily walk about. It's more accessible than my current one at the back of a full cupboard.

Do it and enjoy the spare space:
£3k seems steep.
I had a 2 bed bungalow plumbed in from fresh including removal of the old water tank and a combi boiler for around £3k.

£1k for the boiler, fittings and accessories then the rest is skilled labour. If it's staying in the same location I can't imagine it's more then a day's.

If it's a easily accessible loft then I'd definitely put it in there.
If I charged that much I'd hope to make 1.5K in 3 days...

A local independent fitter will easily beat that quote, with the benefit of it being installed by someone who cares about retaining a customer for life.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants