Next-gen games going up in price

Posted 3rd Jul
With the recent news of NBA 2K21 going to be $70/nearly £60 our side, would you be willing to pay that? I understand they have to factor inflation in but with the gaming market being bigger than ever these days, with micro-transactions and DLC they already have other avenues of revenue, not to mention over-priced collector's editons of games.

Guessing this will be an RRP so retailers can reduce the cost down where possible to compete but will still push prices up overall.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this.
Community Updates
Misc
26 Comments
I won’t be paying £60 for a game. If that’s the new round of pricing I’ll only be buying second hand or when there are offers. £40 is the most I’m willing to spend on any game as a matter of principle.

Also F EA Sports. I got fifa for £12 and feel ripped off. If the rest of their franchise is that poor I hope they go out of business.
To be honest most games now are £50 in the shops, £60 will more than likely be digital which that's the price now anyways, my mate buys everything digital. Only downfall is if you dont like the game you're stuck with it.
But retailers online will always sell games cheaper.
I'm actually looking forward to making an unboxing video of the PS5, hopefully it pays for itself like my PS4 video somehow I managed to clock 500,000 views
Edited by: "Toon_army" 3rd Jul
Loads of games for the current gen consoles RRP is £60 don’t like it just wait till it drops in price like everyone else does.
I wouldn't worry about this, because you can just follow these handy steps to play cheap games 5eva (longer than 4eva):

1) Make sure you buy the disc version console.
2) Buy brand new game for £60.
3) Complete game within a week or two if possible. (few days for me, because I'm sad).
4) Sell on Gumtree/Ebay/Local listing site for £40-50 second hand
5) Congrats! You just bought, played and completed a brand new game for £10-20. You can then buy it again many months/years later whenever you fancy playing it again and it'll be much cheaper.
Edited by: "CaptainZero" 3rd Jul
Toon_army03/07/2020 12:03

To be honest most games now are £50 in the shops, £60 will more than l …To be honest most games now are £50 in the shops, £60 will more than likely be digital which that's the price now anyways, my mate buys everything digital. Only downfall is if you dont like the game you're stuck with it.But retailers online will always sell games cheaper.I'm actually looking forward to making an unboxing video of the PS5, hopefully it pays for itself like my PS4 video somehow I managed to clock 500,000 views

Sorry to sound cynical, but I can't imagine 500,000 views managed to make you £350+ (if you got the Ps4 at release). Unless you're some big time streamer or content creator that has sponsorship deals of course!
donny126603/07/2020 11:52

I won’t be paying £60 for a game. If that’s the new round of pricing I’ll o …I won’t be paying £60 for a game. If that’s the new round of pricing I’ll only be buying second hand or when there are offers. £40 is the most I’m willing to spend on any game as a matter of principle.Also F EA Sports. I got fifa for £12 and feel ripped off. If the rest of their franchise is that poor I hope they go out of business.

all I know with Fifa is it never really changes, just team updates, but then again I don't really play sports games these days, used to prefer it when Fifa was more arcadey, same with wrestling games they should go back to the smackdown games back in the early 2000's and remake them
CaptainZero03/07/2020 12:13

Sorry to sound cynical, but I can't imagine 500,000 views managed to make …Sorry to sound cynical, but I can't imagine 500,000 views managed to make you £350+ (if you got the Ps4 at release). Unless you're some big time streamer or content creator that has sponsorship deals of course!

500k views can definitely make that amount, in all honesty I’m surprised it’s not more.
Kratos6903/07/2020 12:35

500k views can definitely make that amount, in all honesty I’m surprised i …500k views can definitely make that amount, in all honesty I’m surprised it’s not more.

Really? In a world where most people have adblockers?

I have an old YouTube account that I can't remember the login for (sadly) and I check the videos every few months and some of them have 100,000s. Never knew it could make money with low(ish) numbers.

Sorry to sound cynical, but I can't imagine 500,000 views managed to make …Sorry to sound cynical, but I can't imagine 500,000 views managed to make you £350+ (if you got the Ps4 at release). Unless you're some big time streamer or content creator that has sponsorship deals of course!

No I'm not a big timer lol, but you'd be surprised how much you can make for videos. Heres an example below which Ive only had 350,000 views, I made pretty £500 from that one alone.

41282826-YoCXt.jpg
Toon_army03/07/2020 12:38

No I'm not a big timer lol, but you'd be surprised how much you can make …No I'm not a big timer lol, but you'd be surprised how much you can make for videos. Heres an example below which Ive only had 350,000 views, I made pretty £500 from that one alone.[Image]

Thats extremely surprising! Fair play

Don't forget to like, share, subscribe and smash that notification bell

Also get Omaha Steaks, Manscape, Blue Chew and Raycon Earbuds to sponsor you and you'll get your PS5 and Series X paid for
oli_1_uk03/07/2020 12:38

Don't forget to like, share, subscribe and smash that notification bell …Don't forget to like, share, subscribe and smash that notification bell Also get Omaha Steaks, Manscape, Blue Chew and Raycon Earbuds to sponsor you and you'll get your PS5 and Series X paid for

Yeah don't forget to like and SUBSCRIBE guys

Funny thing you mention earbuds, I woke up to an e-mail from a company this mornig asking me to review some earbuds... I just didn't reply. You've got zero chance of me putting some earbuds in on the camera

I'm actually hoping my Turtle Beach Tac works on the PS5
Edited by: "Toon_army" 3rd Jul
I remember SNES games starting at £39.99 going up to £79.99 for street fighter.

i got my dad to buy me Aladdin for Christmas one year it was £49.99, and rubbish.
CaptainZero03/07/2020 12:37

Really? In a world where most people have adblockers?I have an old YouTube …Really? In a world where most people have adblockers?I have an old YouTube account that I can't remember the login for (sadly) and I check the videos every few months and some of them have 100,000s. Never knew it could make money with low(ish) numbers.

Yeah honestly, if you sign up to YouTube’s affiliate program you can earn money. 500k is definitely a decent viewing platform though! There’s a handy link on google/ YouTube somewhere which breaks down the money earned for views and per category. I can’t find it anymore but if someone has that link I’d love to see it again!
Lol just play the sports game a tear later, you can pick up for a couple of quid...

plus with game pass you probably won’t buy as many new release purchases. Pc games tend to be cheaper as well so I have options.

I only buy digital games, I hate changing discs, but will buy disc version so I have option for Blu-ray and 4K movies.
pinkleponkle03/07/2020 12:54

I remember SNES games starting at £39.99 going up to £79.99 for street f …I remember SNES games starting at £39.99 going up to £79.99 for street fighter.i got my dad to buy me Aladdin for Christmas one year it was £49.99, and rubbish.

I remember one Christmas I got the Mega Drive 2 with Aladdin I actually enjoyed that game
Was to be expected, hopefuly Digital is £60-65 and not £70, i game share with a friend and usually wait for sales anyway, don't think it'll effect me too much.

Here's to hoping they don't mess up game sharing for Xbox, then ill be in the crapper.
Edited by: "JimmyBobby" 3rd Jul
I came here to say I was seriously thinking about skipping next gen and continue with ps4/ xbox X/ switch and just snap up their games at bargain prices as they drop BUT NOW after reading the comments I am going to become a YouTuber and buy everything
Super Nintendo games were £60 back in the day. Just think how much that would be now with inflation.
Edited by: "brailer" 3rd Jul
I think this is just gonna be a test run to see if people would buy games at £60, The games industry isn't getting better to say the least and wages haven't gone up so it doesn't deserve a price hike at all.

2K saying they have to fill games with predatory MTXs because games are "too expensive" is utter rubbish, now they're gonna up the prices too. Pure greed.

I'm really hoping that HUKD won't be filled with hot deals of NBA being £50 because that certainly isn't a good deal at all
Honestly when I saw a deal on here for TLOU2 for £44 I was shocked that could be a deal!

Don't think I have ever paid over £25 for a game.

I tend to get 1 or 2 new games for my birthday/xmas. I play them, trade them in/sell them and use the funds to buy older cheaper games. Rinse and repeat. Not fussed about getting a game as soon as it is released. And always, always buy disk version. Digital is pointless as once completed I don't want the game anymore.
I hope they’re not too expensive but I can see them starting up at £60 next gen for sure. I’m going to go digital. It’s only lockdown that’s got me back into gaming and I never really have the time to flip and complete a game within a week or so. I also find that I’m more likely to get more out of a game if I buy it digitally as it isn’t just a rush through, complete ASAP and sell for high price. Each to their own though, each will have positives and negatives.
Have you got proof next gen games will go up to that price bracket.
Buy used.
joedix8803/07/2020 15:59

I think this is just gonna be a test run to see if people would buy games …I think this is just gonna be a test run to see if people would buy games at £60, The games industry isn't getting better to say the least and wages haven't gone up so it doesn't deserve a price hike at all.2K saying they have to fill games with predatory MTXs because games are "too expensive" is utter rubbish, now they're gonna up the prices too. Pure greed.I'm really hoping that HUKD won't be filled with hot deals of NBA being £50 because that certainly isn't a good deal at all

Take Two made nearly half a billion dollars profit from MTXs alone last year, no wonder there's no DLC for GTA V or Red Dead 2
Post a comment
@
    Text