Next Step after CAR being Written off as CAT S and I would like to KEEP

Posted 25th Jun 2020
Hi, never been in this situation before so no idea what are the steps to take.
My car involved in an accident which was not my fault. The intervention team inspected my car. I was told the car is not road worthy (although damage is very minor) and was offered settlement amount as I wanted to keep the car.
My MOT was done a month ago before accident is still valid for 10 months.
Insurance company said they dont take V5C and I just need to take car for MOT to see if everything is ok.

Do I need new MOT?
Do I have to reg-register my car with DVLA?
Do I need new V5C Document?
Do I need to get my car repaired and get certificate?

Could an expert or someone who has gone through the same route shed some light please?

Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
What needs to happen is that car needs to be safely be repaired before going back on the road, Cat S cars must be re-registered with the DVLA, I seem to recall you need to send the V5C to the DVLA.

This guy on YouTube is quiet good (not me sadly) - youtube.com/wat…BBE
Thank you. Just been on the phone with insurance company. Insurance company dont need my V5C. Then spoke to DVLA customer service who also stated I do not need new V5C. They will electronically get update on the status of car from insurance provider.
Both insurance company and DVLA advised to get new MOT and if it passed the car can be drivin.
Cat S implies structural damage, are you sure there’s no hidden damage? If it was minor it would normally be N for non structural
The rear door has a minor damage externally and an internal little bump. However I had been in contact with insurance provider as well as DVLA who advised me to get new MOT but nothing else. DVLA told me to contact DVSA. DVSA refused to look into since they no longer inspect vehicles and have nothing to do this anymore.
asifbutt25/06/2020 19:23

The rear door has a minor damage externally and an internal little bump. …The rear door has a minor damage externally and an internal little bump. However I had been in contact with insurance provider as well as DVLA who advised me to get new MOT but nothing else. DVLA told me to contact DVSA. DVSA refused to look into since they no longer inspect vehicles and have nothing to do this anymore.

If the damage was minor, as you say, it wouldn't have been given a CAT S. That means it has structural damage and is going to need repairing before it can be legally driven on the roads. If you were hit in the rear door and given a CAT S then the damage must be more severe than "an internal little bump". It sounds like the frame or sills have been damaged, which is pretty serious - I had a car consigned to the scrap pile for rusted-through sills last year. They're an important structural part of the car (and the seat belts anchor to them!).

If you want to keep the car then you're going to have to get it repaired. If the accident wasn't your fault then surely the other driver's insurance company is going to cover the cost of repair, but you're most likely going to have to pay for it out of pocket first so that you have the amount to claim for. If your insurance company told you to get a new MOT then presumably that means also getting any repairs done that would be necessarily for it to pass an MOT, or they need a failed MOT so they can see the official details of the damage.
Edited by: "reddragon105" 25th Jun
Are you able to post a few pics of the damage to car.
Structural damage could refer to a dent in the sill or to the door check area.
I’ll answer one of your questions, whether my answer is right or wrong technically. Yes you need to get a new MOT. For the safety of everyone that travels in your car or will be on any route it may travel on.
For the sake of roughly 55 quid, it is a no brainier. Even if it was only passed 2 months ago. Times are hard but a dangerous in-check car can cost a lot more in one way or another.
I'd be really worried, personally, at driving (and putting people I care about) a car around which I've been told by a professional that its not fit or safe to drive - so much so its been written off.

Insurance companies look to pay out the least possible in claims and dont (usually) write off cars easily so for them to do so they must believe the damage is considerable.
As a fleet manager we get these type of incidents from time to time and its most likley a damaged frame/chassis damage that will cost way more put right than you might think!

Sometimes looks just like bodywork like a crunched bumper or wing and wheel but the whole care is out of alignment and the frame gets bent.
Lucky to be offered a settlement. Does it show online as being mot'd ?
DVLA can be wrong but . .
Mot is no guarantee. No driven test , chassis/subframe could be damaged.
Worn down brake pads are a Dangerous mot fail - invalidating any remaining test - yet fixed in 15 minutes.
Car roof is structural yet not considered by mot.
Don't forget how easily Ins. co's write cars off - bumper and ignition lock on an old car enough
Thank you all. As I did not had any other car and wanted to use this one, I have just done a new MOT. @MrWalle you are right about the damage. I will upload pictures of dent.
About 5 years ago ,y polo was written off for damage to door and gauge in door frame. Replaced the door and left the frame as it was. Took it to VOSA to check over and I was back on my way.

this was just before the new changes though so not sure if still same process.
Post a comment
@
    Text