Nextbase dashcam - far from the best

Posted 24th Jul 2020
I've had quite a few dashcams over the years. We live a Uni and the students there have ear phones in and little road sense. Cyclists seldom have lights. The dashcams have often been quite cheap as I researched around for good value but they had one thing in common. THEY WORKED. Fit them and forget them..

Last December we ended up with a brand new car and decided to treat it to a Nextbase 422GW with separate rear camera. HUGE and EXPENSIVE MISTAKE. Yesterday I needed a file to prove exiting a car park and the file is corrupted. Called tech support who knew the problem instantly and explained why it was all my problem.

> Nextbase dashcams need the SD card reformatting every 2 or 3 weeks
> When the SD card is full, it doesn't necessarily over write old files
> When (not if) the SD fills up, the system starts corrupting files
> No error messages or reminders to format the SD card from the dashcam itself
> No instructions on this in the box and the User manual has to be downloaded.

Add to that the problem that the footage is no better than the £25 Yi camera I have in the other car and you can sense the frustration I feel. Never again will I waste so much of my cash on Nextbase products. I encourage you to look carefully if you are thinking of buying one.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
I'm not doubting you, but to counter your experience -
In all the years I have used Nextbase dashcams I have never had that problem, and I've not heard of anyone else having that problem either (until now). The old footage has always been overwritten with no issues when the card is full, I've never reformatted a card (although I have downloaded the files on a couple of occasions, which has emptied the card), and the footage has always been good quality (admittedly it's poor if I play it back on the dashcam but it's good if I play it back on my laptop). My last dashcam was the 412GW which is now in another person's car and still working well, I've just bought a 322GW (with a plug-in rear cam) to replace it - this is giving me no issues.
(I've also never had a problem with Yodel or Hermes so maybe I was born lucky )
P.S. a lot of electrical products now have online manuals only - it's an easy way for companies to save money & it also helps save the trees
Edited by: "cis_groupie" 24th Jul
cis_groupie24/07/2020 16:20

I'm not doubting you, but to counter your experience - In all the years I …I'm not doubting you, but to counter your experience - In all the years I have used Nextbase dashcams I have never had that problem, and I've not heard of anyone else having that problem either (until now). The old footage has always been overwritten with no issues when the card is full, I've never reformatted a card (although I have downloaded the files on a couple of occasions, which has emptied the card), and the footage has always been good quality (admittedly it's poor if I play it back on the dashcam but it's good if I play it back on my laptop). My last dashcam was the 412GW which is now in another person's car and still working well, I've just bought a 322GW (with a plug-in rear cam) to replace it - this is giving me no issues. (I've also never had a problem with Yodel or Hermes so maybe I was born lucky )P.S. a lot of electrical products now have online manuals only - it's an easy way for companies to save money & it also helps save the trees

Completely agree. I've had the 412GW in my car now for ~3yrs, never had a single problem with it either.
It depends on what type of SD card you put in it i believe. As far as i can remember KIngston ones it did not like.
Another with the 412gw and zero issues here, I'm sure its nearly 3 years old now!
Maybe you just had a duff card?
I was told when I got mine to format the card every 3 weeks and even the dashcam reminds me to format it. In fact it’s in the manual and I have the 522gw
Get a BlackVue!
BlitRider24/07/2020 18:47

It depends on what type of SD card you put in it i believe. As far as i …It depends on what type of SD card you put in it i believe. As far as i can remember KIngston ones it did not like.

Tech Sup say it must be a dashcam compatible SD card up to 128gb. The one we used was the supplied card

A question to those who haven't had any trouble; have you ever had reason to try and access the footage on the cam? We all hope to never need it. It was when I needed it that I found the problem. Note that it was tech sup who said it has to be formatted every 2-3 weeks, not myself

Thanks for the responses.
Edited by: "ccnp" 25th Jul
ccnp25/07/2020 07:27

Tech Sup say it must be a dashcam compatible SD card up to 128gb. The one …Tech Sup say it must be a dashcam compatible SD card up to 128gb. The one we used was the supplied cardA question to those who haven't had any trouble; have you ever had reason to try and access the footage on the cam? We all hope to never need it. It was when I needed it that I found the problem. Note that it was tech sup who said it has to be formatted every 2-3 weeks, not myselfThanks for the responses.

I always check my footage on the phone app every week and are able to save with no issue
It actually says about reformatting the sd card on their website. I too didn't know about that. I'm seriously considering changing mine to another Drivepro one as my oldest one must be nearly 5 years old, still works fine and never had to reformat the card. So thank you for bringing it to my attention as twice I have relied on my dashcam footage for insurance purposes, and both times the claims have been settled in my favour with ease due to the video evidence.
Post a comment
@
    Text