NHS COVID-19 app now available on app & play stores (Still on trial on IOW but now available to download for all)

Posted 1st Jun
Per title, the NHS COVID-19 app is now available for download in both Play & App stores.
It is still on trial in on the IOW but everyone can now download ready for general release, this gives a chance to check it's working and if you device is compatible (we could put it on one phone android phone P but not the other K).

GOOGLE PLAY STORE
APPLE APP STORE
Community Updates
Top comments
Imagine willingly installing this.
Edited by: "jimhuf" 1st Jun
iang00701/06/2020 14:36

Apparently saves data for 20 years …Apparently saves data for 20 years https://9to5mac.com/2020/06/01/contact-tracing-app-retains-personal-data/

For anyone who tests positive, if you don't like it I suggest you don't present for treatment.

I wonder if people will worry so much when the NHS are fighting to save your life, when the tube goes down your gullet don't forget to say "don't keep my data".
Edited by: "kudos1uk" 1st Jun
jimhuf01/06/2020 12:32

Imagien willingly installing this.

Imagine an education.

Imaging thinking you’re special enough for the government to want to spy on...
39 Comments
Ah, this is the one Cumming's buddies have a hand in.

Lot's of issues with privacy apparently.
Nah I’m good thanks
Edited by: "jimhuf" 1st Jun

Imagien willingly installing this.

Imagine an education.
kudos1uk01/06/2020 12:36

Imagine an education.

Don't worry mate, keep plugging away and you might get a GCSE one day
jimhuf01/06/2020 12:40

Don't worry mate, keep plugging away and you might get a GCSE one day

Keep plugging away and you might make a positive contribution to a thread one day....
So long as it works properly I will certainly get it. The faster we can get back to some semblance of normality the better. If it helps then I'm in.
Ps they can have my data, nothing to hide here.
Hacked01/06/2020 12:44

Keep plugging away and you might make a positive contribution to a thread …Keep plugging away and you might make a positive contribution to a thread one day....

cant see it happening
With this app, you are sending all your data inputted to a centralised server run by the government. You may not think this is a big deal given how much the government already knows, but this app was built in a rush by NHSX so I have no confidence in its security. Wish the government used Apple and Google's decentralised approach.
jamie1501/06/2020 12:50

With this app, you are sending all your data inputted to a centralised …With this app, you are sending all your data inputted to a centralised server run by the government. You may not think this is a big deal given how much the government already knows, but this app was built in a rush by NHSX so I have no confidence in its security. Wish the government used Apple and Google's decentralised approach.

Not to mention they can make arbitrary decisions about whether you can leave your house based on flawed technology.
"You can't leave your house for 14 days because you met A who met B who met Z who now has a cold"
I think ill take my chances
jimhuf01/06/2020 12:56

Not to mention they can make arbitrary decisions about whether you can …Not to mention they can make arbitrary decisions about whether you can leave your house based on flawed technology. "You can't leave your house for 14 days because you met A who met B who met Z who now has a cold" I think ill take my chances

Yep, plus given the fact app is not based on testing but just trusting symptoms we will definitely see idiots reporting false positives (same idiots spitting and saying they have COVID) then going into public places. Results from app will influence decisions when there is no certainty it will be accurate.
It’s been there for a couple of weeks so far, apparently they are rewriting it to support Apple and Google’s solution, so might actually work when they do!

Imaging thinking you’re special enough for the government to want to spy on...
ReecesWaffle9501/06/2020 13:04

Imaging thinking you’re special enough for the government to want to spy o …Imaging thinking you’re special enough for the government to want to spy on...

Imaging thinking they havent been doing that for years
jimhuf01/06/2020 13:09

Imaging thinking they havent been doing that for years

Have they?
Thanks, dl.
jimhuf01/06/2020 13:15

Have you ever heard the name "Edward Snowden"?

Of course. But you said they are proven to have spied on you. So please, I’m sure many of us would like to know how and why.
ReecesWaffle9501/06/2020 13:16

Of course. But you said they are proven to have spied on you. So please, …Of course. But you said they are proven to have spied on you. So please, I’m sure many of us would like to know how and why.

Well once i was watching the football and i didnt stand for the national anthem, next day there was a police car on my street.
All this nonsense about data, you don't provide ANY personal details, not even your name, in fact the only bit of information required is the first half of your postcode and that's shared by everyone in my town.

Here is Boris's postcode SW1A it's hardly a security risk.
kudos1uk01/06/2020 13:26

All this nonsense about data, you don't provide ANY personal details, not …All this nonsense about data, you don't provide ANY personal details, not even your name, in fact the only bit of information required is the first half of your postcode and that's shared by everyone in my town.Here is Boris's postcode SW1A it's hardly a security risk.

Does you phone not contain personal info then? No other phone numbers, email addresses? Browser history? Photos? How can people not understand what a large digital footprint you trail behind you.
GeoffAngela01/06/2020 13:50

Does you phone not contain personal info then? No other phone numbers, …Does you phone not contain personal info then? No other phone numbers, email addresses? Browser history? Photos? How can people not understand what a large digital footprint you trail behind you.

They have nothing to hide, so they are happy to share everything.
GeoffAngela01/06/2020 13:50

Does you phone not contain personal info then? No other phone numbers, …Does you phone not contain personal info then? No other phone numbers, email addresses? Browser history? Photos? How can people not understand what a large digital footprint you trail behind you.

No permissions requires for this data so it remains secure.
kudos1uk01/06/2020 13:58

If you understood the some of the people behind this app, you wouldn't feel so secure.
iang00701/06/2020 14:36

Apparently saves data for 20 years …Apparently saves data for 20 years https://9to5mac.com/2020/06/01/contact-tracing-app-retains-personal-data/

For anyone who tests positive, if you don't like it I suggest you don't present for treatment.

I wonder if people will worry so much when the NHS are fighting to save your life, when the tube goes down your gullet don't forget to say "don't keep my data".
kudos1uk01/06/2020 14:43

For anyone who tests positive, if you don't like it I suggest you don't …For anyone who tests positive, if you don't like it I suggest you don't present for treatment if you have symptoms.I wonder if people will worry so much when the NHS are fighting to save your life, when the tube goes down you gullet don't forget to say "don't keep my data".

Unless you have no smart phone access, should be no app no treatment.
Edited by: "fearona" 1st Jun
fearona01/06/2020 14:47

Unless you have no smart phone, should be no app no treatment.

Bit harsh punishment for using an old version of android, I think the app requires android 8+
I’ll install it when it doesn’t need the app to be constantly open and doesn’t drain the hell out your battery. I’m not bothered about the privacy as Apple and google have it all anyway
kudos1uk01/06/2020 13:58

if its secure, why are there so many reports from security firms about its apparent lack of.
No need to install this now - Boris has opened the country - its all over! Hoorah! Dominic who?
AgentDaleCooper01/06/2020 15:03

No need to install this now - Boris has opened the country - its all over! …No need to install this now - Boris has opened the country - its all over! Hoorah! Dominic who?

You will laugh when you sober up and read that back
fearona01/06/2020 15:14

You will laugh when you sober up and read that back

Totally tongue in cheek I assure you
The company is Palantir based in silicon valley with seed money from DOD.

telegraph.co.uk/tec…ng/

How CIA-backed Palantir embedded itself in the NHS

economist.com/bri…ice

“Palantir has a lot of toxic baggage with its contracts with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and the way in which its software is being used,”

Although Five-eyes already wealds sigifnicant clout in SIGNIT.
Sammy8601/06/2020 15:23

The company is Palantir based in silicon valley with seed money from …The company is Palantir based in silicon valley with seed money from DOD.https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/05/16/inside-story-cia-backed-palantir-embedded-nhs-socialite-running/How CIA-backed Palantir embedded itself in the NHShttps://www.economist.com/britain/2020/03/26/palantir-a-data-firm-loved-by-spooks-teams-up-with-britains-health-service“Palantir has a lot of toxic baggage with its contracts with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and the way in which its software is being used,”Although Five-eyes already wealds sigifnicant clout in SIGNIT.

Good at least they have experience then
The virus is never going to go away. An app I can't see making much difference unless every single person uses it properly (which they won't). Those most at risk probably don't even use or have a suitable mobile phone.

Most people will have mild to no symptoms from this virus. The real scare will be the impact on health from postponed treatments, lost livelihoods and a recession in the months and years to come.
The trouble with this app is it would need a high uptake to have an impact. The concerns about security are genuine, particularly when there is an alternative that doesn't send data centrally. And the biggest problem is there is very little in it for the individual - just a higher chance of being told you were near someone, and have to self-isolate. I suppose if you have venerable relatives this might something you would value.

Bottom line, if you don't have the app, you are less likely to be told to self-isolate. Not a great sell. I've not decided whether to use it yet. I've learned over the years not to be too trusting, even if you have little to hide.
Post a comment
@
    Text