NHS Pre Payment Certificate

Found 26th Jan 2016
Anyone has experience on using "NHS Pre Payment Certificate". It says for £29.10 you can get unlimited Prescription. Is there any catch??

apps.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/ppc….do

I am prescribed 4 medicines for which cost is more than £30. So thinking of purchasing "NHS Pre Payment Certificate", which is cheaper and saves costs for 3 months.
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
My dad has this and he can get as many prescribed medicines as long as he has his pre-paid NHS card with him... Think he paid just over £100 for the year
I use one and have had every prescription (repeat, emergency or single use) come under this certificate's cost. There are a few exempt items (socks for deep-vein thrombosis is one of them, I believe) but they are few and far between.
caironjake

My dad has this and he can get as many prescribed medicines as long as he … My dad has this and he can get as many prescribed medicines as long as he has his pre-paid NHS card with him... Think he paid just over £100 for the year

Is pre-paid NHS card same as the pre-payment certificate?
raj75

Yes. It comes as a card.
raj75

I think so (I can't copy and paste url on mobile app to see) but from what you've said, if it's unlimited then it will be
caironjake

I think so (I can't copy and paste url on mobile app to see) but from … I think so (I can't copy and paste url on mobile app to see) but from what you've said, if it's unlimited then it will be

Thanks. If there is no catch, then I will go ahead and purchase it, as I need to pay £30 medicine anyway.
caironjake

I think so (I can't copy and paste url on mobile app to see) but from … I think so (I can't copy and paste url on mobile app to see) but from what you've said, if it's unlimited then it will be

Sorry, this is the link apps.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/ppc….do.
raj75

Sorry, this is the link https://apps.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/ppcwebsales/patient.do.

Yes that's deffo the one! If you are likely to have a lot of prescriptions due to long term illnesses then it would be beneficial to pay for the year one
I pay a monthly fee for mine as my prescriptions come to almost £1000 a year.......very handy
I have an annual card - makes sense.

At one time the GP used to give me prescriptions for 3 months worth of drugs at a time, now that I only get 1 month per prescription the pre-payment works out lots cheaper
If you have a long term illness check with your doctor you maybe entitled to free prescriptions I am, not that the doctor told me someone at work did
choc1969

I pay a monthly fee for mine as my prescriptions come to almost £1000 a … I pay a monthly fee for mine as my prescriptions come to almost £1000 a year.......very handy

what's the monthly fee option?.. how much is it?
I also have the yearly card and pay only £10.40 per month. Having fourteen prescriptions every four weeks makes it a no brainer (that would be £115 every four weeks).
raj75

what's the monthly fee option?.. how much is it?

l've had it for the past 5 years. l think it comes to approx £10.40 pm.
i live in wales, prescriptions are free

do you live near the border?
adamspencer95

i live in wales, prescriptions are freedo you live near the border?

Nope. In London.
roof30

I also have the yearly card and pay only £10.40 per month. Having … I also have the yearly card and pay only £10.40 per month. Having fourteen prescriptions every four weeks makes it a no brainer (that would be £115 every four weeks).

Yea, that's my DD. Doc used to give me 6 months worth of prescriptions but they now seem to clamp down on it (_;) as I only get 6 weeks at a time and have multiple repeats it's more cost effective to pay up front plus I can get every other drug or dry skin stuff I need
Prepayment certificates

If you need frequent prescriptions but do not qualify to get them free of charge, you can buy a prepayment certificate which will save you money.

You can get a prepayment certificate which lasts for either three or twelve months. You can pay for the twelve month certificate by direct debit, in ten equal monthly instalments.

Before buying a prepayment certificate, check that you are not entitled to free prescriptions, as it can be difficult to get a refund once you have paid for your certificate.

There are a number of ways to buy a prepayment certificate:

over the phone from the NHS Business Services Authority
from the NHS Business Services Authority website
from the pharmacist
from your Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG).

Contact details for the NHS Business Services Authority are:

NHS Business Services Authority
PPC Issue Office
PO Box 854
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE99 2DE
Tel: 0300 330 1341
E-mail: nhsbsa.ppc1@nhsbsa.nhs.uk

A three monthly PPC is £29.10 and could save you money if you need more than three prescribed items in three months.
A 12-month certificate is £104.00 and could save you money if you need more than 12 prescribed items in a year.

All of the above via citizensadvice.org.uk/
If answers to your questions are not on there then it is not worth knowing. Brilliant web site!
do you have a health condition that qualifies you for free prescriptions ?
such as diabetes,epilepsy,
you can find out all conditions on line
If you've paid and ordered online, you can use the reference number to get your next prescription free, if your card hasn't yet arrived, rather than having to wait for your prescription. Also, you can claim back what you've paid for prescriptions before you applied for ( not received) the card, in the previous, I think, 7 days.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants