NHS SELF ISOLATION LETTER FROM NHS WEBSITE

Posted 20th Mar
Hi all, looking for advice for the now available self isolation confirmation document which is online but not sure if this covers you for the first 7 days when you have to isolate or for the 7 days after self certification as I was advised to stay at home for 14 days due to living with other people? As always all help appreciated.stay safe.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
It's 14 days
adamderak20/03/2020 11:33

It's 14 days

Hi yes saw that on news but GOV website states that the first person who got in the household should isolate for 7 days only and that the other member of the household should isolate for 14 days if they start to feel unwell so very confusing
Main messages
if you live alone and you have symptoms of coronavirus illness (COVID-19), however mild, stay at home for 7 days from when your symptoms started. (The ending isolation section below has more information)
if you live with others and you are the first in the household to have symptoms of coronavirus, then you must stay at home for 7 days, but all other household members who remain well must stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill. See the explanatory diagram
for anyone else in the household who starts displaying symptoms, they need to stay at home for 7 days from when the symptoms appeared, regardless of what day they are on in the original 14 day isolation period. The ending isolation section below has more information, and see the explanatory diagram
it is likely that people living within a household will infect each other or be infected already. Staying at home for 14 days will greatly reduce the overall amount of infection the household could pass on to others in the community
"If you have symptoms
If you have symptoms of coronavirus, you'll need to stay at home for 7 days.

After 7 days:

if you do not have a high temperature, you do not need to stay at home
if you still have a high temperature, stay at home until your temperature returns to normal
You do not need to stay at home if you just have a cough after 7 days. A cough can last for several weeks after the infection has gone.

If you live with someone who has symptoms
If you live with someone who has symptoms, you'll need to stay at home for 14 days from the day their symptoms started. This is because it can take 14 days for symptoms to appear."

nhs.uk/con…ce/
I might be reading this wrong, currently been off 7 days self certified but still feeling unwell, nhs wont test me but don’t want to run into any issues at work if they say 7 days is the max i could be off regardless of not feeling 100%, other member of household not feeling unwell like me
Edited by: "flameboi" 20th Mar
flameboi20/03/2020 11:48

I might be reading this wrong, currently been off 7 days self certified …I might be reading this wrong, currently been off 7 days self certified but still feeling unwell, nhs wont test me but don’t want to run into any issues at work if they say 7 days is the max i could be off regardless of not feeling 100%, other member of household not feeling unwell like me

from the quote i pasted from the NHS site, it states that you are fine to return to work if after 7 days you do not have a high temperature.
mutley120/03/2020 11:50

from the quote i pasted from the NHS site, it states that you are fine to …from the quote i pasted from the NHS site, it states that you are fine to return to work if after 7 days you do not have a high temperature.

Thanks I’m still not feeling well but cant get a gp appointment or be tested and left confused on what to do without facing employer issues
flameboi20/03/2020 11:52

Thanks I’m still not feeling well but cant get a gp appointment or be t …Thanks I’m still not feeling well but cant get a gp appointment or be tested and left confused on what to do without facing employer issues

have you tried to ask your employer? from the NHS information it states that unless you have a high temperature after 7 days then you are unlikely to have covid 19 so if you still feel unwell but you don't have a high temperature then your employer may still expect you to come into work.
I have an underlying health issue and have been told to self-isolate for 3 months. I spoke with my GP requesting a sick note and he advised I don't need one. The company I work for has accepted this and indeed, most of its 300 employees are now working from home. The NHS website is very confusing....
Edited by: "Splodger101" 20th Mar
Yeah currently have high temp still and cough, employer needs me back as soon as poss and cant offer working from home options for me, public facing role to thanks
flameboi20/03/2020 11:56

Yeah currently have high temp still and cough, employer needs me back as …Yeah currently have high temp still and cough, employer needs me back as soon as poss and cant offer working from home options for me, public facing role to thanks

I am lucky, full pay for six months + half pay for next six months medical absence. However, I urgently need to have open heart surgery but its classed as 'elective surgery'; its been postponed until C-19 has been eradicated Take care of yourself.
Splodger10120/03/2020 12:06

I am lucky, full pay for six months + half pay for next six months medical …I am lucky, full pay for six months + half pay for next six months medical absence. However, I urgently need to have open heart surgery but its classed as 'elective surgery'; its been postponed until C-19 has been eradicated Take care of yourself.

Sorry to ear this, good luck with the op
flameboi20/03/2020 11:56

Yeah currently have high temp still and cough, employer needs me back as …Yeah currently have high temp still and cough, employer needs me back as soon as poss and cant offer working from home options for me, public facing role to thanks

if you still have a high temperature then you should be able to stay home longer but if you think of this from the employer's point of view, there will be people who will try to take advantage of this by pretending to be ill for longer even though they are fine. i don't know how companies are going to deal with this. there is no way of testing if someone has a high temperature remotely.
mutley120/03/2020 12:21

if you still have a high temperature then you should be able to stay home …if you still have a high temperature then you should be able to stay home longer but if you think of this from the employer's point of view, there will be people who will try to take advantage of this by pretending to be ill for longer even though they are fine. i don't know how companies are going to deal with this. there is no way of testing if someone has a high temperature remotely.

Yeah this is all really confusing not well and was originally told by 111 call agent to isolate 14 days but Gov website says different
flameboi20/03/2020 12:26

Yeah this is all really confusing not well and was originally told by 111 …Yeah this is all really confusing not well and was originally told by 111 call agent to isolate 14 days but Gov website says different

the NHS site advice will be what companies will be following. it is quite clear on there the information. i don't think the information is unclear at all.
mutley120/03/2020 12:29

the NHS site advice will be what companies will be following. it is quite …the NHS site advice will be what companies will be following. it is quite clear on there the information. i don't think the information is unclear at all.

Just used the new online system to obtain confirmation of suspected coronavirus and its end date is the 7th day, should be 14 days if going on the NHS website very confus
flameboi20/03/2020 12:31

Just used the new online system to obtain confirmation of suspected …Just used the new online system to obtain confirmation of suspected coronavirus and its end date is the 7th day, should be 14 days if going on the NHS website very confus

the NHS website, which i had linked does not state 14 days. it states 7 days. the 14 days are only for other members of the family who live with someone that had to self isolate for 7 days as there will be a delay to them getting the virus. if you self isolate you have already had that delay period but if you pass the virus to them then they haven't yet had that delay period as they haven't yet shown symptoms like you have. this is why they would have to self isolate for 14 days, whereas you yourself only need to self isolate for 7 days.
mutley120/03/2020 12:34

the NHS website, which i had linked does not state 14 days. it states 7 …the NHS website, which i had linked does not state 14 days. it states 7 days. the 14 days are only for other members of the family who live with someone that had to self isolate for 7 days as there will be a delay to them getting the virus. if you self isolate you have already had that delay period but if you pass the virus to them then they haven't yet had that delay period as they haven't yet shown symptoms like you have. this is why they would have to self isolate for 14 days, whereas you yourself only need to self isolate for 7 days.

Ok this makes sense but I still have same symptoms as I did on day 1 but cant see a GP so quite worried on what to do next
flameboi20/03/2020 12:37

Ok this makes sense but I still have same symptoms as I did on day 1 but …Ok this makes sense but I still have same symptoms as I did on day 1 but cant see a GP so quite worried on what to do next

you will need to contact your employer and ask them. if they insist that you return to work, then you will have to do so. they may be able to assess you when you return and allow you to go home if they think you are genuinely ill.
mutley120/03/2020 12:39

you will need to contact your employer and ask them. if they insist that …you will need to contact your employer and ask them. if they insist that you return to work, then you will have to do so. they may be able to assess you when you return and allow you to go home if they think you are genuinely ill.

Thanks for the info, might be the only option, would have thought very risky in this current time but lets see what they suggest
flameboi20/03/2020 12:40

Thanks for the info, might be the only option, would have thought very …Thanks for the info, might be the only option, would have thought very risky in this current time but lets see what they suggest

if you have symptoms then it is recommended that you cover your face when you do go out to stop you coughing directly into the air and onto other people. your employer may ask to examine you when you return to assess your condition and they may agree to further isolation if they think you are still ill. they may allow you to continue to self isolate but only they can answer this question for you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants