NHS Workers

Posted 8th Apr
With all the generous donations from everyone from free food to free parking. Why are they only being appreciated now? Once this is over we need to ensure that we appreciate them every day. Fantastic people.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Not just NHS workers! (I am a NHS worker) This lockdown has taught us what REAL jobs are. Supermarket staff, emergency services, refuse collectors, road workers plus many many more. Jobs such as ‘social media executive’ or ‘influencer’ have never seemed so needless! And guess which jobs get paid the most - the needless ones!
I'm also a NHS worker. I've always appreciated the cleaners that work on the ward and throughout the hospital. I know that without cleaners, the hospital would be upside down due to germs and infections etc.

People always take them for granted and assume they are silly as they are just "cleaners", but 2 of the cleaners on my ward are the most genuine and loving people you will ever meet.

Let's put some rispek on all key workers and not just NHS or doctors and nurses.
In response to the OP. As humans, most of us are selfish, but we are more than happy to clap from the comfort of our homes, we are also happy to sign an on-line petition.

Are we happy to march the streets? Give some of what we don't need to help others?
Give our time to help others?

Give it a few months after this has ended and most people continue as they always have.

It takes a lot more than words and colourful pictures to truly show appreciation in my world.
Xippi
0 s ago

Some of these same nurses have been forced to use Food banks in the past as there is 'No Magic Money Tree' didn't you know. Concerned also that migrants will only be allowed to stay if they earn so much money....no thought about how valuable a role they have (not being political here but it does worry me). Our NHS is totally reliant on migrants who give so much more to the NHS & support services than they take...including recently their lives!
Currently it's clearly 'Know the cost of everything but don't know the value of anything.'
I agree, Let's hope all this changes.
Rant over.
22 Comments
Not just NHS workers! (I am a NHS worker) This lockdown has taught us what REAL jobs are. Supermarket staff, emergency services, refuse collectors, road workers plus many many more. Jobs such as ‘social media executive’ or ‘influencer’ have never seemed so needless! And guess which jobs get paid the most - the needless ones!
Xippi
0 s ago

Some of these same nurses have been forced to use Food banks in the past as there is 'No Magic Money Tree' didn't you know. Concerned also that migrants will only be allowed to stay if they earn so much money....no thought about how valuable a role they have (not being political here but it does worry me). Our NHS is totally reliant on migrants who give so much more to the NHS & support services than they take...including recently their lives!
Currently it's clearly 'Know the cost of everything but don't know the value of anything.'
I agree, Let's hope all this changes.
Rant over.
davidrowlands8908/04/2020 21:07

Not just NHS workers! (I am a NHS worker) This lockdown has taught us what …Not just NHS workers! (I am a NHS worker) This lockdown has taught us what REAL jobs are. Supermarket staff, emergency services, refuse collectors, road workers plus many many more. Jobs such as ‘social media executive’ or ‘influencer’ have never seemed so needless! And guess which jobs get paid the most - the needless ones!

This.
I'm also a NHS worker. I've always appreciated the cleaners that work on the ward and throughout the hospital. I know that without cleaners, the hospital would be upside down due to germs and infections etc.

People always take them for granted and assume they are silly as they are just "cleaners", but 2 of the cleaners on my ward are the most genuine and loving people you will ever meet.

Let's put some rispek on all key workers and not just NHS or doctors and nurses.
It starts from the Govt.

They've done nothing but underfunded the NHS workers, understaffed it, and undermined them

And who'll forget Tories clapping with delight when the last pay increase was defeated in Parliament.

Everyday people are very appreciative of the NHS. We don't control when nurses get free coffee or car parking spaces.

There is nothing this Govt could do put right its wrongs. You just can't just backdate things and hope no one remembers.
Edited by: "Gollywood" 8th Apr
In response to the OP. As humans, most of us are selfish, but we are more than happy to clap from the comfort of our homes, we are also happy to sign an on-line petition.

Are we happy to march the streets? Give some of what we don't need to help others?
Give our time to help others?

Give it a few months after this has ended and most people continue as they always have.

It takes a lot more than words and colourful pictures to truly show appreciation in my world.
flowersofwar08/04/2020 21:28

In response to the OP. As humans, most of us are selfish, but we are more …In response to the OP. As humans, most of us are selfish, but we are more than happy to clap from the comfort of our homes, we are also happy to sign an on-line petition.Are we happy to march the streets? Give some of what we don't need to help others?Give our time to help others?Give it a few months after this has ended and most people continue as they always have.It takes a lot more than words and colourful pictures to truly show appreciation in my world.

Can you blame people?
No march seems to have ever done anything.
teh.arn08/04/2020 21:39

Can you blame people?No march seems to have ever done anything.

I can blame people for not even starting yes. With the right movement, questions will be answered and actions will more likely be taken.

When has change ever been quick and easy?
Edited by: "flowersofwar" 8th Apr
flowersofwar08/04/2020 21:41

I can blame people for not even starting yes. With the right movement, …I can blame people for not even starting yes. With the right movement, questions will be answered and actions will more likely be taken.When has change ever been quick and easy?

Iraq War, Brexit, Financial Crisis, Student loans etc etc.

If Millions of people going out and marching does nothing, no one will bother to do it.
Only way to change the country is to Vote and most of the time nothing changes anyway, it's the same old story.

As long as the rich own the media and people are dumb enough to believe it nothing will change.
It's the government that treat our essential workers like nothing and pay them peanuts. NHS jobs should be minimal 35k starting especially for nurses and even more for icu departments. I don't want to compare but there are tfl workers including bus drivers, bin men that get paid more than NHS nurses. The tfl and bin men get respectable pay but the NHS staff don't. Some do but there are loads that don't.
teh.arn08/04/2020 21:49

Iraq War, Brexit, Financial Crisis, Student loans etc etc.If Millions of …Iraq War, Brexit, Financial Crisis, Student loans etc etc.If Millions of people going out and marching does nothing, no one will bother to do it.Only way to change the country is to Vote and most of the time nothing changes anyway, it's the same old story.As long as the rich own the media and people are dumb enough to believe it nothing will change.

The Iraq war that lasted over 8 years?

The media isn't the issue. I see a whole lot of great change in the media over the years. The power has been and will always be with the people. They just need to realise it, including yourself
Xippi08/04/2020 21:15

Xippi0 s agoSome of these same nurses have been forced to use Food banks …Xippi0 s agoSome of these same nurses have been forced to use Food banks in the past as there is 'No Magic Money Tree' didn't you know. Concerned also that migrants will only be allowed to stay if they earn so much money....no thought about how valuable a role they have (not being political here but it does worry me). Our NHS is totally reliant on migrants who give so much more to the NHS & support services than they take...including recently their lives!Currently it's clearly 'Know the cost of everything but don't know the value of anything.'I agree, Let's hope all this changes.Rant over.

That's why they're doing special visa's for nurses etc..
Successive governments have put the NHS on its arse. It’s been like this for years. Only now do they decide its time to protect the NHS.
When all this is over, I hope that the work
that has been done by everyone will be remembered. This should never be forgotten.
It’s the little people that will get us through this not the fat greedy bankers.

We should have a bank holiday in honour of the sacrifices made.
MR112308/04/2020 21:56

It's the government that treat our essential workers like nothing and pay …It's the government that treat our essential workers like nothing and pay them peanuts. NHS jobs should be minimal 35k starting especially for nurses and even more for icu departments. I don't want to compare but there are tfl workers including bus drivers, bin men that get paid more than NHS nurses. The tfl and bin men get respectable pay but the NHS staff don't. Some do but there are loads that don't.

Most doctors I know and work with work countless unpaid extra hours and are then taxed a huge amount...making their pay package really sad. They then study and sacrifice time with their families ...I know I couldn't be that selfless.
.MUFC.08/04/2020 22:01

We'll see. I really don't hold out any hope....hositile environment, Windrush and all that. Hope I'm wrong
Other half is so strong
She came home early the other night because her entire ward patients lost life's due to COVID-19

Stay strong people xxxx
This is a global issue, nothing to do with politics in the UK. My mother worked as a school teacher for over 25 years and got paid peanuts; two close friends, and their partners, are NHS doctors, so I have a fair idea about this issue.

The reality is that humans respond to tangible stimuli far more than things that just get done. That is why work that keeps life ticking is invisible and taken for granted (quite similar to kids thinking money comes magically from the machine) while shallow social media rubbish is glorified. If we are to celebrate work necessary to making life easier, then start by disengaging from all social media, tabloids and reality shows. All these exist because we demand it; after all, who wants to see the real life of a nurse or the rubbish truck driver? Maybe one episode, at the most? Anyone remember people who got rewarded because nothing went wrong on their watch on any job?

There is an interesting book Supernormal Stimuli that explains this nicely. It talks about an experiment where a scientist placed a fake wooden egg in the nest of a bird. It was painted a brighter, more vibrant shade than the real eggs. Interestingly, the bird chose to incubate the fake egg. The book also explains how the addiction of screens is real and far more difficult to break. A phone or a tablet being used as a nanny is unfortunately quite common.
teh.arn08/04/2020 21:39

Can you blame people?No march seems to have ever done anything.

Martin Luther King says Hi.
.MUFC.08/04/2020 22:01

Temporary.
Are the NHS being appreciated now by these business? I thought they were doing it to boost there moral standing and likeability with the general public who think "there good, I will pay full price here".

These discounts are not off the backs of kind, selfless businesses otherwise they would always have been there and always will be.
Edited by: "groenleader" 9th Apr
Great how the NHS debt was suddenly wiped clear a couple of weeks ago...makes a mockery of there being “no magic money tree” - why wasn’t this done 10 years ago so we could properly fund our health service?

As someone has already pointed out, they know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

I salute all NHS workers going about their jobs in this trying times, and indeed all key workers. Let’s just hope the government remember this the next time respective pay discussions roll around!
groenleader09/04/2020 10:30

Are the NHS being appreciated now by these business? I thought they were …Are the NHS being appreciated now by these business? I thought they were doing it to boost there moral standing and likeability with the general public who think "there good, I will pay full price here".These discounts are not off the backs of kind, selfless businesses otherwise they would always have been there and always will be.

Many offers are just "good PR".
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions