Groups

Nightmare eBay sale. Where do I stand?

I'll give you the most factual, shortest version of the story possible:

I list a handbag on eBay as used but in "very good condition". I am a private seller and set the listing to say no returns on used items.

I take photos of the bag inside and out. It was immaculate with no marks, stairs, tears etc.

Buyer emailed me days after receiving to say the bag was not in the described condition and opens a returns request saying there was a stain inside (there was not when it was posted) and that there was a loose thread on the bottom of the bag.

eBay find in her favour and give her a full refund from my PayPal account. I have NOT received the bag back.It is now three and a half weeks since the buyer received the bag.

I have disputed the finding of the case and eBay again found in the buyer's favour. They have my money AND the bag. I have paid out on postage fees, eBay fees and PayPal fees also.

Where do I stand, please? I can prove the condition of the bag when it was listed from the photos I added.

48 Comments

Best thing to do is always accept the return, if you don't ebay/paypal will always side with the buyer and you lose the money and the goods. Best thing to do now is contact the buyer and ask for the bag back, explain if you don't receieve it within 14 days you will report the transaction to the Poilce through Actionfraud.

well if there were stairs in the bag I would have an issue,
    sorry couldn't help myself, that's a little strange that they issued refund without return tracking?

Sell things on Gumtree instead. eBay always sides with the buyer. And, yes I know Gumtree is part of eBay. Hope you've not lost much money.

Go to their address

Hi. Go through PayPal and submit a case through them. It's better to ring really. I had a issues with parcel not being delivered but cause seller had tracking details. eBay sided with them. Three weeks chasing Hermes etc. They confirmed the parcel has been lost and seller wouldn't even put a claim in so was going to lose out on my money. I opened case on PayPal and asked for their email to send all evidence etc. And they went on my side and got refunded. eBay are just going with sellers these days. But if genuine people are losing out. I found PayPal more helpful than eBay.

very strange that they REFUNDED the buyer without the return. I would actually call eBay tomorrow or try today even. eBay are getting worse every day.

ritchiedrama

Go to their address

reminds me I still need to go to the address of the person who didn't send me my very first item I purchased in 2003 on ebay and slash their tyres
    Edited by: "slevinkelevra" 17th Apr

slevinkelevra

well if there were stairs in the bag I would have an issue,sorry couldn't … well if there were stairs in the bag I would have an issue,sorry couldn't help myself, that's a little strange that they issued refund without return tracking?

http://twitchy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/huh.jpg

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. I called eBay on Thursday and explained that I haven't received the bag back. They said "WHEN you receive the bag back, we will look at this case again". The buyer uploaded tracking information for the return on Tuesday last week (which is why eBay have refunded them) so it should have been delivered by now but I suspect they have either sent something other than the bag, or uploaded fake tracking details. I'll go to the sorting office as soon as I can and find out what's going on.

cant you check the tracking online?

squiff

Thanks everyone for your replies. I called eBay on Thursday and explained … Thanks everyone for your replies. I called eBay on Thursday and explained that I haven't received the bag back. They said "WHEN you receive the bag back, we will look at this case again". The buyer uploaded tracking information for the return on Tuesday last week (which is why eBay have refunded them) so it should have been delivered by now but I suspect they have either sent something other than the bag, or uploaded fake tracking details. I'll go to the sorting office as soon as I can and find out what's going on.

Might be delayed cause of Easter. But if you feel you are being ripped off. Go PayPal. It took me four weeks and eBay didn't give a puff. PayPal excepted my evidence and listened more and got my money back.

Ive had issues with ebay/paypal & the best advice i got given was to stop using it. Paypal always favours the buyer so if you cant afford to gamble youre product sell it somewhere else

Why do you mention that you don't accept returns?
    You have to accept returns if the item is not as described.

if there wasn't a stain before there certainly will be if/when you get the bag back

LizzyUK

Why do you mention that you don't accept returns? You have to accept … Why do you mention that you don't accept returns? You have to accept returns if the item is not as described.

she has already said there was nothing wrong with the bag when she sent it out so it was as described - I always used to put no returns on anything I sold on that site which was used.

Im afraid there is nothing you can do.Ebay is full of scammers and ebay favour the buyers. I sold a £200 set of headphones boxed new, the short story is ebay refunded the buyer and I never got them back.The only option is a small claims court but will cost more money and a lot more stress. Cut your losses and move on.
    Edited by: "rhinopaul" 17th Apr

LizzyUK

Why do you mention that you don't accept returns? You have to accept … Why do you mention that you don't accept returns? You have to accept returns if the item is not as described.

I guess they are saying no returns for non faulty goods like i do ? either way buyers can and will lie about the condition and there is nothing a seller can do about it.

Dawsy

very strange that they REFUNDED the buyer without the return. I would … very strange that they REFUNDED the buyer without the return. I would actually call eBay tomorrow or try today even. eBay are getting worse every day.

Ebay will often refund the buyer if proof of postage is uploaded regardless as to whether you receive the item back.

rhinopaul

Im afraid there is nothing you can do.Ebay is full of scammers and ebay … Im afraid there is nothing you can do.Ebay is full of scammers and ebay favour the buyers. I sold a £200 set of headphones boxed new, the short story is ebay refunded the buyer and I never got them back.The only option is a small claims court but will cost more money and a lot more stress. Cut your losses and move on.

Dawsy

very strange that they REFUNDED the buyer without the return. I would … very strange that they REFUNDED the buyer without the return. I would actually call eBay tomorrow or try today even. eBay are getting worse every day.

that's just plain wrong; I've heard of people sending something worthless with a tracking order back but actually no receiving a return at all and the buyer getting a refund??

But has the item the buyer allegedly returned been signed for, or are eBay classing the tracking number itself as proof?

It seems very strange how they will only review it once the bag is received back by you when this ironically is the issue.
    Edited by: "rikkif1990" 17th Apr

joesmum

she has already said there was nothing wrong with the bag when she sent … she has already said there was nothing wrong with the bag when she sent it out so it was as described - I always used to put no returns on anything I sold on that site which was used.

​Not according to the buyer. If they say it's not as described you have to accept the return.

slevinkelevra

that's just plain wrong; I've heard of people sending something … that's just plain wrong; I've heard of people sending something worthless with a tracking order back but actually no receiving a return at all and the buyer getting a refund??

I look forward to the day someone takes ebay to court as Im sure a lot they do has no legal standing.When I lost out on my £200 headphones I tried looking into a small claims court against ebay themselves but small claims can only be done when the company you are trying to involve is based in the UK and I couldnt find any UK address details for ebay to process a claim .

with you on this, it does seem very unfair, I remember when the sellers had all the power and the buyer was vunerable to unscrupulous sellers but now it has gone too far the other way.
    Ps, what actually happened with your situation?
    Did they send a dud item with tracking? as I can't see how ebay could issue the refund without proof of tracking and evidence of signature on delivery and if so didn't you pursue it and have it out with ebay; I would have if I lost a 200 pound item

slevinkelevra

with you on this, it does seem very unfair, I remember when the sellers … with you on this, it does seem very unfair, I remember when the sellers had all the power and the buyer was vunerable to unscrupulous sellers but now it has gone too far the other way.Ps, what actually happened with your situation?Did they send a dud item with tracking? as I can't see how ebay could issue the refund without proof of tracking and evidence of signature on delivery and if so didn't you pursue it and have it out with ebay; I would have if I lost a 200 pound item

I sold a pair of new Sennheisers , the buyer tried to say they were fake. I got Sennheiser involved and had lengthy comms with the buyer. I agreed for him to return the item but I couldnt print a return label as ebay wouldnt allow me to send it to another address so I told him to post it via Special delivery and I would pay. I didnt receive the item so contacted ebay whom almost immediately refunded the buyer after me contacting them. I then called ebay HQ who were absolutely useless and said a decision has been made and I cant appeal .
    Fortunately for me Sennheiser sent me a replacement pair after hearing what happened otherwise I would be totally out of pocket thanks to ebay.

Issue I think you'll find is that even if they do send it back, and you do actually receive it, it will have the stains and damage to it that they claimed. At least it will have if they had to send it back.

Hi Squiff that's not good what's happening think i got taken for a scam listing on Ebay as they removed and suspended the sellers account emailed me. Problem is i paid with Paypal (£30) late at night and the seller had accepted payment (by next morning/afternoon) before i received this Email and couldn't cancel it. I called Ebay and they said i have to wait till after the delivery date (Sunday the 23rd April) has past then they will look into it. this is my 1st (slightly) negative Ebay experience after a few years of buying. I don't think the transaction was automatically cancelled along with the email so it seems there's a flaw in system and protecting the seller.

I think Ebay should make all sales over a certain price recorded delivery as standard this would help in stopping the problem your having. my advice for any seller would be always use recorded delivery so a signature must be taken upon delivery and if they return an item then they have to tell the post office what's inside the parcel and sign for it this way it covers both Seller and Buyer leaves less change of a scam or a dispute and if there is one then it should be resolved easier. paying that little extra for peace of mind is priceless specially if its an expensive item even film yourself opening the box when you receive it so you have proof of what you got back and the condition you got it in just be thorough in showing the parcel is sealed and the postage address etc

I'l post back in a week or so and let everyone know how i got on with it all once it gets resolved

I hope you get your problem resolved soon too Squiff Goodluck

contact the buyer and tell them you're reporting them to the police

Original Poster

I did use a trackable service and the bag required a signature. It was signed for the the buyer admitted they received it, so no issue there. The three issues are:

1. They claim the item was not as described and I dispute that
    2. eBay found in their favour and refunded them before I received the bag back
    3. The tracking code they provided is genuine, but the item has gone AWOL. If it doesn't turn up in the next few days I shall be putting in a claim to Royal Mail (that is the sender's job but there's no way on this Earth my buyer would lift a finger to help me) and see if I can get anything back that way.

I WILL be contacting PayPal as soon as possible. Unfortunately I have other, FAR more important things on my mind right now but this really isn't helping. It's also not the money (the bag was £9), it's the principle.

If it was only £9 the best thing to do is put it down to experience and let it go, not worth the hassle or stress for such a small amount. Next time do not try and dispute a return request, you can't win.

LizzyUK

Private sellers don't have to accept returns for change of mind.

Anyway I did win a case as a seller for item not as described.

I stuck to my guns and refused a return as the item was exactly as described and it was just buyer's remorse (it was a phone by the way sold as faulty). I won using some tips I was given chatting to some eBay rep. It's useful sometimes to chat to them.

It's true that 99% of the time eBay will just side with the buyer.

Maybe take the pics you have taken and show eBay the timestamp they have (in the file properties) proving that at the time of the sale bag was free of defects.

They should only refund if the tracking shows that there was at least an attempted delivery not if the item is still in transit and undelivered.

Edited by: "hearts22" 17th Apr

I've had a similar issue recently but the refund was put through after the buyer sent the item back to me. I'm surprised eBay authorised it before you received it! Maybe it was a mistake??
    I had also described my item perfectly and said 'No Returns'. The buyer then said it wasn't what he wanted.
    Anyway, try giving them a call. I emailed a few times and contacted them on live chat but a phone call was the best solution.
    The guy was actually pretty helpful despite the fact eBay ruled in the buyers favour!
    This is the freephone number - 0800 358 6551

squiff

I did use a trackable service and the bag required a signature. It was … I did use a trackable service and the bag required a signature. It was signed for the the buyer admitted they received it, so no issue there. The three issues are:1. They claim the item was not as described and I dispute that2. eBay found in their favour and refunded them before I received the bag back3. The tracking code they provided is genuine, but the item has gone AWOL. If it doesn't turn up in the next few days I shall be putting in a claim to Royal Mail (that is the sender's job but there's no way on this Earth my buyer would lift a finger to help me) and see if I can get anything back that way.I WILL be contacting PayPal as soon as possible. Unfortunately I have other, FAR more important things on my mind right now but this really isn't helping. It's also not the money (the bag was £9), it's the principle.

So did you end up accepting the return or it was escalated by the buyer until eBay intervened? If I'm not wrong if it gets escalated and eBay sides with the buyer the buyer gets refunded without needing to return anything.
    Edited by: "hearts22" 17th Apr

I used to sell on eBay regularly.
    Not anymore. They couldn't care less about the private sellers that made the company.
    I do use PayPal but only when paying for stuff.
    I got sick of the situation you find yourself in.
    Good luck

Original Poster

hearts22

So did you end up accepting the return or it was escalated by the buyer … So did you end up accepting the return or it was escalated by the buyer until eBay intervened? If I'm not wrong if it gets escalated and eBay sides with the buyer the buyer gets refunded without needing to return anything.

I accepted the return.

squiff

I accepted the return.

Then by all means you need the bag back and don't give up. Pester them until they review the case and you have what's yours back

hearts22

Private sellers don't have to accept returns for change of mind. Anyway I … Private sellers don't have to accept returns for change of mind. Anyway I did win a case as a seller for item not as described. I stuck to my guns and refused a return as the item was exactly as described and it was just buyer's remorse (it was a phone by the way sold as faulty). I won using some tips I was given chatting to some eBay rep. It's useful sometimes to chat to them. It's true that 99% of the time eBay will just side with the buyer. Maybe take the pics you have taken and show eBay the timestamp they have (in the file properties) proving that at the time of the sale bag was free of defects. They should only refund if the tracking shows that there was at least an attempted delivery not if the item is still in transit and undelivered.

So care to share the tips with us so we can use them ?

hearts22

Private sellers don't have to accept returns for change of mind. Anyway I … Private sellers don't have to accept returns for change of mind. Anyway I did win a case as a seller for item not as described. I stuck to my guns and refused a return as the item was exactly as described and it was just buyer's remorse (it was a phone by the way sold as faulty). I won using some tips I was given chatting to some eBay rep. It's useful sometimes to chat to them. It's true that 99% of the time eBay will just side with the buyer. Maybe take the pics you have taken and show eBay the timestamp they have (in the file properties) proving that at the time of the sale bag was free of defects. They should only refund if the tracking shows that there was at least an attempted delivery not if the item is still in transit and undelivered.

​But in this case it's not a change of mind, it's "item not as described". .... therefore the return has to be accepted.......sigh.... oO

squiff

I accepted the return.

​I don't understand why they have refunded before tracking shows delivered?? Ring them back!

Original Poster

LizzyUK

​I don't understand why they have refunded before tracking shows d … ​I don't understand why they have refunded before tracking shows delivered?? Ring them back!

No point. eBay said on the phone they can't do anything until I have the item back. I am going to try and get to the sorting office this afternoon. The tracking info says they tried to deliver the parcel last week. I requested redelivery for Saturday and they didn't delivery Saturday or today.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheap northface alternatives?33
      2. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1531
      3. Ditched Sky1722
      4. Could someone send me a usc code with unidays11

See more discussions