Nightmare with BT over Broadband

Found 23rd Sep 2017
Evening all,

Just looking for advice really, I took out BT Infinity due to it been the fastest broadband in our area on a 12 month contract. The minimum guranteed speed was 32mb.

My service went live on 04/09 and I was getting speeds of between 7-20mb, I waited 10 days (BT suggested testing time) and still was getting the low speed so called up to get it fixed.

After numerous phonecalls a engineer came out, checked the line and saw there was no fault in my home and said it was an outdoor fault so they would come look at that.

The next day the outdoor team came, didnt even come to my house even though I could see them outside, did what they needed to do and left and cleared the fault.

My broadband was still getting low speeds, no improvement. I called again and was told they said they fixed the problem even though they didnt even come in to check the speed, so my issue was raised to a complaint and I was due a callback yesterday from a manager.

Nobody called me yesterday so I called at 7pm and was told I would have a callback from a manager at 8:30pm... nobody called.

I had a call today from a BT agent who wasn't a manager and told me another engineer would be coming out on Monday to check the line again. He informed me a manager would call me this evening..nobody did.

I've wasted hours on these idiots, I'm still paying for my broadband.

Basically I want out, I know with the minimum speed guarantee you can use that as a get out clause for no cancellation fees and a refund.

I was wondering if anybody had any advice or had been in a similar situation, im getting nowhere. The call centres abroad do not help me, and do not understand my issues and constantly tell me someone will call me when nobody does.

Any advice?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
13 Comments

We have the exact same problem. Latest hub and still low speeds. I use a BT repeater for upstairs too and it's forever disconnecting and not working, with speeds of 1mb and 2mb on average. Since I'm living with my parents until next year (I'll finally be getting my own place), I can't really complain (no I'm not living with them for free).
Edited by: "Dolphinzz" 23rd Sep 2017

Have you tried this:

speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Apparently this should give you the correct speeds. This will also tell you if its "acceptble" for BT. I had this when I first had BT and found BT had filtered my house twice!

Original Poster

darthvader666uk10 m ago

Have you tried this:http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/Apparently this …Have you tried this:http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/Apparently this should give you the correct speeds. This will also tell you if its "acceptble" for BT. I had this when I first had BT and found BT had filtered my house twice!

I've done this previously, but again just done now and it shows:

Best Effort Test:

Download Speed15.26 Mbps

On my order confirmation it states:

We comply with the Ofcom Broadband Speeds Code of Practice We'll always aim to give you the download speed shown, but if your actual speed is slower you should call us on 0800 111 4567 and we'll do our best to fix it. If we can't improve it and it stays that way, you'll be able to cancel your broadband contract without having to pay early termination charges.

wow thats crazy low! surely they can sort that out?

What I find, go to cancellations and they seem to do things quicker....

I’m assuming you checked your speeds using an ethernet cable just to ensure it’s not a wireless issue?
You can also check your sync speed via the router. If your speed is still not right just speak to cancellations (email them a copy of the guarantee) and tell them you want to cancel, they may try and make it awkward but they will cancel the contract if the speeds are not as promised. I had a similar issue being tied into an infinity 2 contract not meeting the guaranteed minimum speed.

Your problem is going to be that unless you go virgin they ask use BT infrastructure.
If you do jump ship I would recommend Plusnet. Still BT infrastructure but you talk to someone on this country who understand language and culture (cue people accusing me of racism , but it is annoying trying to explain to someone the problem when they are following a script, etc)

Plusnet are a company established by BT, independent of BT, to comply with the monopolies commission (or some similar government group designed to break the BT monopoly). They take great pride in not being BT. They will pressure BT to correct any faults on the line and get the best speed available for you. You will have to carry out their in house checks to ensure the problem is off the premises - if an engineer find the fault on the premises you get the bill.

I've been work Plusnet for years and can't fault them.

I have BT with hub 6, and ive had same problem but thought it was weird when it worked fine with hub5, the new hub has a smart feature that can be turned off on the router settings and by default its on, give that a try and see if it works.

mrty1 h, 12 m ago

Your problem is going to be that unless you go virgin they ask use BT …Your problem is going to be that unless you go virgin they ask use BT infrastructure. If you do jump ship I would recommend Plusnet. Still BT infrastructure but you talk to someone on this country who understand language and culture (cue people accusing me of racism , but it is annoying trying to explain to someone the problem when they are following a script, etc)Plusnet are a company established by BT, independent of BT, to comply with the monopolies commission (or some similar government group designed to break the BT monopoly). They take great pride in not being BT. They will pressure BT to correct any faults on the line and get the best speed available for you. You will have to carry out their in house checks to ensure the problem is off the premises - if an engineer find the fault on the premises you get the bill.I've been work Plusnet for years and can't fault them.

Or go one step better and sign up to John Lewis broadband, which is run and operated by Plusnet but is cheaper.

BainzyA13 h, 9 m ago

I've done this previously, but again just done now and it shows:Best …I've done this previously, but again just done now and it shows:Best Effort Test: Download Speed15.26 MbpsOn my order confirmation it states:We comply with the Ofcom Broadband Speeds Code of Practice We'll always aim to give you the download speed shown, but if your actual speed is slower you should call us on 0800 111 4567 and we'll do our best to fix it. If we can't improve it and it stays that way, you'll be able to cancel your broadband contract without having to pay early termination charges.

Try posting on the below forum. It was the only way myself I actually managed to get someone from this country to contact myself. At the time I was also asked to install the below program as it allows reports to be generated of your speed and stats at different times.

community.bt.com/t5/…355

softperfect.com/pro…rx/

Have you had fibre before bt
Are your devices with low speeds via WiFi , I'll assume you have updated the drivers ?
When we went to infinity the speeds were slow until the one wired device showed speeds of 78mb
A few laptops were really slow till drivers were updated
Just a thought

I had my HH6 down graded to a HH5 and that worked far better. The problem with BT is the line can disconnect up to 5 times a day and that is seen as acceptable to them.
I ended up with Executive Support from Newcastle on my fault but you are fighting against their T&Cs so nothing ever improves.
The most reliable internet is BT business if you can get it.

Try contacting the Executive Level Complaints Team (ELC)

The name you need is Libby Barr and her email is libby.barr@bt.com

I understand she is the managing director and if its not her that replies, her emails go direct to the Executive Level Complaints team. This is the place to be. Their email address is elc@bt.com and I have a contact number of 01277 326097 (but i would definitely email Libby first as this will bump you up the list).

Hope these details will help you, our was a fairly simple gripe to fix of unfair charges that the accounts team just couldn't do. The elc team had it resolved in 24 hours.

ELC helped my friend too as given their title they have the power needed to get things done!

Hope this helps
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions