Nike closes store tomorrow June 19th for Juneteenth

Expert (Beta)34
Posted 18th Jun
Nike are closing store across the UK tomorrow

3488892-UJsTn.jpg
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
I agree with some of the comments. I do feel that some things are wrong.

We should stop insinuating that we have the same level of racism as the USA - we are a far more inclusive society. Our police forces do not operate or act in the frequent brutal ways the USA does.

All protests even if they are peaceful should NOT be happening during a global pandemic - this is irresponsible on public health grounds - I work as an Infection Control Manager for elderly care and it has been beyond tough - anything which could cause another spike in this awful virus should be stopped. There is scientific reasons mass gatherings are not allowed at the moment and no one should be allowed to have them. Protests could be done in other ways, or wait until it is safe to do them. No GOVT will criticise or condemn these protests as they would be seen as being against the BLM movement. I’m sorry but a strong stance should be taken to prevent a possible spike in infections. Health affects us all - wouldn’t it be awful I’d these mass gatherings cause a spike and more families have to grieve the loss of loved ones.

There is work to be done on a lot of areas of equality and inclusiveness. I happen to be a gay man with a disability, and I have faced countless numbers of times where I have been treated unjustly, from all communities - many of the LGBT have and this is Pride month, being gay is still punishable by death in At least 13 countries, illegal in 70 others -Pride marches have respected the need to postpone marches due to COVID-19, others who feel the need for EDI causes should do the same.
Interesting. My take on all this current situation is that you can't atone for or make good the wrongs of centuries in the space of a week, fortnight, month or even months.

Lots happening. And Very suddenly. Almost overkill in some people's eyes. . Which may be counter-productive when people have had enough and move on to the next fashionable cause.

Until some major Western Governments make some major legislative and structural changes from within, the day to day problems that the Black community will remain...

Comparing Colin Kaepernick's kneeling protest to Game on Thrones shows you where we are (in the UK).

41140837-wQa2j.jpg
Edited by: "Gollywood" 18th Jun
34 Comments
Awesome gesture
Interesting. My take on all this current situation is that you can't atone for or make good the wrongs of centuries in the space of a week, fortnight, month or even months.

Lots happening. And Very suddenly. Almost overkill in some people's eyes. . Which may be counter-productive when people have had enough and move on to the next fashionable cause.

Until some major Western Governments make some major legislative and structural changes from within, the day to day problems that the Black community will remain...

Comparing Colin Kaepernick's kneeling protest to Game on Thrones shows you where we are (in the UK).

41140837-wQa2j.jpg
Edited by: "Gollywood" 18th Jun
well don$
Gollywood18/06/2020 21:06

Interesting. My take on all this current situation is that you can't …Interesting. My take on all this current situation is that you can't atone for or make good the wrongs of centuries in the space of a week, fortnight, month or even months.Lots happening. And Very suddenly. Almost overkill in some people's eyes. . Which may be counter-productive when people have had enough and move on to the next fashionable cause.Until some major Western Governments make some major legislative and structural changes from within, the day to day problems that the Black community will remain...Comparing Colin Kaepernick's kneeling protest to Game on Thrones shows you where we are (in the UK).[Image]

What sort of legislation do you want the government to pass? Discrimination is already illegal in this country and I would expect most other western countries. Making a law especially for a certain race would be discrimination against everyone else.
666FU18/06/2020 21:51

What sort of legislation do you want the government to pass? …What sort of legislation do you want the government to pass? Discrimination is already illegal in this country and I would expect most other western countries. Making a law especially for a certain race would be discrimination against everyone else.

Oh you know, just equality.... that is actually put into practice. No one asking for laws for a certain race. You said that not me

What sort of legislation do you want the government to pass? …What sort of legislation do you want the government to pass? Discrimination is already illegal in this country and I would expect most other western countries. Making a law especially for a certain race would be discrimination against everyone else.

Discrimination is illegal but it still happens. Look at women’s pay, that’s a tiny percentage of discrimination but coloured people get discriminated at shops, work and from work friends.
Misslovely18/06/2020 22:12

Discrimination is illegal but it still happens. Look at women’s pay, t …Discrimination is illegal but it still happens. Look at women’s pay, that’s a tiny percentage of discrimination but coloured people get discriminated at shops, work and from work friends.

I'm not sure that BAME people would describe those at work showing discriminatory behaviour towards them as work "friends".
Misslovely18/06/2020 22:12

Discrimination is illegal but it still happens. Look at women’s pay, t …Discrimination is illegal but it still happens. Look at women’s pay, that’s a tiny percentage of discrimination but coloured people get discriminated at shops, work and from work friends.

Discrimination happens in all walks of life - being a working class male with a thick scouse accent has undeniably hampered my career prospects.

It’s a certainty that more must be done by the government in terms of stamping out racism, but the only real leveller is time. It’ll take generations for the paradigm to shift and the balance to be evened out (in my opinion).
Haircut_10018/06/2020 22:26

I'm not sure that BAME people would describe those at work showing …I'm not sure that BAME people would describe those at work showing discriminatory behaviour towards them as work "friends".

More colleague than friend definitely.

I'm with a colleague today who has spent the last 2 weeks justifying why using a counterfeit bank note; jogging; falling asleep at a drive- thru etc could all potentially lead to a fair & legal death!

And he has no problem with disproportionate stop & search in the UK or BAME citizens being fined up to 7 times more times than white citizens during lockdown.

The legislation is there to protect. And that piece of paper is about as far as it goes.
Curlyman8318/06/2020 22:29

Discrimination happens in all walks of life - being a working class male …Discrimination happens in all walks of life - being a working class male with a thick scouse accent has undeniably hampered my career prospects. It’s a certainty that more must be done by the government in terms of stamping out racism, but the only real leveller is time. It’ll take generations for the paradigm to shift and the balance to be evened out (in my opinion).

Your Scouse accent isn't visible when you're driving. It doesn't mean you get stop and searched, arrested, manhandled, assaulted and possibly killed.

You see a police car behind you and the worst that can happen is you might get pulled aside and told your brake light isn't working.

BAME in same situation is hoping he makes it home unarrested, unhurt & alive
I agree with some of the comments. I do feel that some things are wrong.

We should stop insinuating that we have the same level of racism as the USA - we are a far more inclusive society. Our police forces do not operate or act in the frequent brutal ways the USA does.

All protests even if they are peaceful should NOT be happening during a global pandemic - this is irresponsible on public health grounds - I work as an Infection Control Manager for elderly care and it has been beyond tough - anything which could cause another spike in this awful virus should be stopped. There is scientific reasons mass gatherings are not allowed at the moment and no one should be allowed to have them. Protests could be done in other ways, or wait until it is safe to do them. No GOVT will criticise or condemn these protests as they would be seen as being against the BLM movement. I’m sorry but a strong stance should be taken to prevent a possible spike in infections. Health affects us all - wouldn’t it be awful I’d these mass gatherings cause a spike and more families have to grieve the loss of loved ones.

There is work to be done on a lot of areas of equality and inclusiveness. I happen to be a gay man with a disability, and I have faced countless numbers of times where I have been treated unjustly, from all communities - many of the LGBT have and this is Pride month, being gay is still punishable by death in At least 13 countries, illegal in 70 others -Pride marches have respected the need to postpone marches due to COVID-19, others who feel the need for EDI causes should do the same.
Gollywood18/06/2020 22:41

Your Scouse accent isn't visible when you're driving. It doesn't mean you …Your Scouse accent isn't visible when you're driving. It doesn't mean you get stop and searched, arrested, manhandled, assaulted and possibly killed.You see a police car behind you and the worst that can happen is you might get pulled aside and told your brake light isn't working.BAME in same situation is hoping he makes it home unarrested, unhurt & alive

Around 9 out of 10 (87% of 238) of those who died in police custody between 2004/05 and 2015/16 were from a White ethnic background. Those from a Black background, the next largest ethnic group, made up 6 per cent of deaths (14 out of 238).

Your Scouse accent isn't visible when you're driving. It doesn't mean you …Your Scouse accent isn't visible when you're driving. It doesn't mean you get stop and searched, arrested, manhandled, assaulted and possibly killed.You see a police car behind you and the worst that can happen is you might get pulled aside and told your brake light isn't working.BAME in same situation is hoping he makes it home unarrested, unhurt & alive

I'm white and have been pulled over by the police and searched at gun point, we were made to line up with our hands against the wall whilst one officer pointed an assault rifle at our backs the other officer roughly padded us down and went through our pockets.
I have a white friend who was followed on the motorway by an unmarked police car, he noticed them and decided to drive to a police station, the police behind him thought he was running away and fired at the car, fortunately he was uninjured but there were bullets in the frame of his seat and dashboard.

Assuming another person's life experiences by the colour of their skin is discrimination.

Agreed, but we’re talking discrimination, not simply racism. My accent does mean that I am targeted, however - police officer hears me speak, I’m automatically under suspicion. Going for a job outside of the area? Forget it. People hear me talk and instantly think I’m stupid or untrustworthy, despite the fact that I’m very well educated and have never been in trouble with the police (or anyone else, I hasten to add) in my life.

I’m not trying to diminish the experiences or injustices people of colour undergo at the hands of institutionally racist organisations in this country, I’m simply saying that discrimination exists in lots of different forms - it’s not a competition.
Edited by: "Curlyman83" 19th Jun
EN1GMA19/06/2020 12:23

Comment deleted

I never said it did. We should be striving towards equality for all. What I’m saying is that, really, the only driver or true change is time.
I won't support an organisation that wants to abolish the police!
They never close to commemorate the loss of Indian land and their continued suffering, in Hawaii and in the continental US.

It sort makes puts it all out of context when you think they race issues between blacks and whites in America is all happening on stolen land!
EN1GMA19/06/2020 13:44

Comment deleted

Agreed. Windrush was an absolute scandal. The Stephen Lawrence affair (and umpteen cases since) was a scandal. I just don’t see what marching on London’s cities at the height of a public heath crisis achieves.

When I say time is the great healer, I didn’t mean we ought to sit back and do nothing and everything will be fine. Education is absolutely vital, but this process will take time and needs a very clever approach - the tired old methods of “oh, let’s just devote one lesson a year to it in schools” is not good enough. We need an open honest discussion in this country about discrimination of in all it’s forms.

Holding rallies and marches in the midst of a global pandemic is not only foolish but also dangerous, particularly with regard to the heightened mortality rates in BAME.

Statues like those of Colston and Rhodes should have been taken down years ago, but I don’t agree with mob rule in the form of ripping down monuments and throwing them in the harbour. It would have been much better to place sculptures like these in museums underneath inscriptions which detail the doings of such people - both the positive and the negatives - so that later generations can be educated in our country’s history, both good and bad.
Gollywood18/06/2020 22:37

More colleague than friend definitely.I'm with a colleague today who has …More colleague than friend definitely.I'm with a colleague today who has spent the last 2 weeks justifying why using a counterfeit bank note; jogging; falling asleep at a drive- thru etc could all potentially lead to a fair & legal death!And he has no problem with disproportionate stop & search in the UK or BAME citizens being fined up to 7 times more times than white citizens during lockdown.The legislation is there to protect. And that piece of paper is about as far as it goes.

It's a minefield of a subject, and generally I just keep my own counsel because of the prospect of being misinterpreted. However, one thing that has persistently concerned me throughout the last few weeks is the misrepresentation of statistics and data as some kind of bias confirmation.
With regards to your figures relating to stop and search, and the statement that they are 'disproportionate' - they may be on a population sample basis, but that's only part of the picture. Whilst the UK Bame population is around 15%, nearly two thirds of London knife crime in under 25's is committed by non-whites. It's 38% nationally. One of the primary drivers of stop and search is to remove weapons from circulation and prevent crime - to me, the figures seem a proportionate response to a problem.
It's a similar picture in the US where the issue of 25% of police 'killings' being on black people, despite them only making up 10% of the population. However, nobody is raising the statistic that 50% of murders and over 60% of violent robberies are committed by black people. As the police tend to use lethal force in the most dangerous, life threatening situations, again, it could be argued that 25% is actually an underrepresentation.
I think most of the issues are class issues and gangs etc.. Where there is more poverty there is usually more crime and it's a difficult cycle to break. I think on the whole the UK is pretty tolerant but the issues remain in regards to class. Also people that come here don't become instant millionaires overnight etc.. There quite simply isn't an easy solution.
Hacked19/06/2020 12:41

Sadly slavery hasn't gone …Sadly slavery hasn't gone away.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_21st_centuryhttps://www.antislavery.org/slavery-today/modern-slavery[Image]

Who do you think is doing all of that slavery in Africa and Asia? It's blacks enslaving other blacks and Asians enslaving other Asians. So maybe these races should look at themselves instead of blaming the western world.
EN1GMA19/06/2020 14:32

Comment deleted

I don’t know why. It’s this sort of approach that leads to prejudice. We should be able to discuss issues without resorting to arguments, slander and violence: we seem to have lost the art of being able to disagree!

There’s no one size fits all approach to complex issues like religion, politics etc. It’s only through meaningful discussion that we can broaden our horizons and learn to accept that other people simply have differing views.
.MUFC.19/06/2020 14:55

I think most of the issues are class issues and gangs etc.. Where there is …I think most of the issues are class issues and gangs etc.. Where there is more poverty there is usually more crime and it's a difficult cycle to break. I think on the whole the UK is pretty tolerant but the issues remain in regards to class. Also people that come here don't become instant millionaires overnight etc.. There quite simply isn't an easy solution.

Tbh I think it's both. I posted a link above of the guy from The Chase and how he was profiled. Unfortunately, some people look at black person, nice clothes, nice car = drug dealer or some such.

Plenty of evidence out there where police stop black people just because they are black with the flimsy reason, you match a description. What's the description, black person

Believe, don't believe it, but when you see a tsunami of evidence to show they are disproportionately targeted, it stops being a coincidence.
EN1GMA19/06/2020 17:17

Tbh I think it's both. I posted a link above of the guy from The Chase and …Tbh I think it's both. I posted a link above of the guy from The Chase and how he was profiled. Unfortunately, some people look at black person, nice clothes, nice car = drug dealer or some such.Plenty of evidence out there where police stop black people just because they are black with the flimsy reason, you match a description. What's the description, black person Believe, don't believe it, but when you see a tsunami of evidence to show they are disproportionately targeted, it stops being a coincidence.

I can understand that but if statistics show that they're more likely to be carrying knives or be committing crimes then it would warrant them being targeted a little more if it truly is random etc.. But I do understand that there maybe some prejudice and if the cap fits it could be very frustrating being a stereo type. There are good cops and bad cops. Personally I've never been pulled over but then I generally drive within the law and drive boring road legal cars. Don't dress like a chav etc.. Although I'm not poor, I'm not rich so I'm probably not a target. However if I started driving Fiesta ST''s or BMW's then I would probably be pulled over a bit more because I would fit the stereo type of a boy racer or drug dealer etc.. I do understand for some it is unjust and not fair but that's life. I think if you solve poverty you solve most of the problems.

To be allowed by law to play the victim card and get away with anything.
What reason to study, learn, work hard, fight for your future when you can jump the queue and get a front seat ? Have some tantrum, scream as much as you can that you are a victim (even if you are not) and you're going to get what you want (+ a bonus if you a lucky).

Surprisingly we don't want to fix the many other problems (rapes, murders, pedophilia, pedophilia done by the Western people in poor countries, religious extremism, pollution, overconsumption, modern slavery, forced prostitution, over population, etc.) because the masters didn't command us to do that.

Gollywood18/06/2020 21:06

[Image]

That image shows exactly the ignorance of the "protestors", let me explain.

Those who exploded themselves, burnt people alive, used children as human shields, etc. believed in something too.
Those who sold their brothers, parents and friends, who then were sent to Gulag, they too believed in something.

Just because YOU believe in something it doesn't make you better, and it is not always a cause to fight for.
Edited by: "TobyZ" 19th Jun
.MUFC.19/06/2020 17:44

... I think if you solve poverty you solve most of the problems.

When the people will start thinking for themselves and be responsible then the World will be a better place.
Poor, rich, the entitled trash is trash. More you are part of a special group, more you think you have no obligations, no responsibilities and you are the center of the Universe.
TobyZ19/06/2020 20:24

To be allowed by law to play the victim card and get away with …To be allowed by law to play the victim card and get away with anything.What reason to study, learn, work hard, fight for your future when you can jump the queue and get a front seat ? Have some tantrum, scream as much as you can that you are a victim (even if you are not) and you're going to get what you want (+ a bonus if you a lucky).Surprisingly we don't want to fix the many other problems (rapes, murders, pedophilia, pedophilia done by the Western people in poor countries, religious extremism, pollution, overconsumption, modern slavery, forced prostitution, over population, etc.) because the masters didn't command us to do that.That image shows exactly the ignorance of the "protestors", let me explain.Those who exploded themselves, burnt people alive, used children as human shields, etc. believed in something too.Those who sold their brothers, parents and friends, who then were sent to Gulag, they too believed in something.Just because YOU believe in something it doesn't make you better, and it is not always a cause to fight for.

Yeah, I can't wait for the Nike shop to open up either...

Absolute nonsense, this is the UK, nobody gets arrested, hurt or murdered because they have a faulty brake light. You may get arrested if you are uncooperative or are wanted for something else but that's about it.
The silent majority are getting bored with this victim culture, the immigrants who came here in the 60's & 70's to work hard didn't complain all the time and they had plenty to complain about, the immigrant latino community in the US don't complain and they are the ones that do all the hard menial jobs. People talk about white privilege but the truth is whether you are white, black, brown or any other colour you are privileged to be be born rich in relative terms compared to the rest of the world.
Gollywood18/06/2020 22:37

More colleague than friend definitely.I'm with a colleague today who has …More colleague than friend definitely.I'm with a colleague today who has spent the last 2 weeks justifying why using a counterfeit bank note; jogging; falling asleep at a drive- thru etc could all potentially lead to a fair & legal death!And he has no problem with disproportionate stop & search in the UK or BAME citizens being fined up to 7 times more times than white citizens during lockdown.The legislation is there to protect. And that piece of paper is about as far as it goes.

43 min video of Rayshard Brooks case. The guy was clearly not being honest and the police were incredibly patient, the whole thing went pear shaped when he resisted arrest. It's an interesting watch. Mr. Brooks died that day, and it could have been avoided, but for some perspective 29 people die each day in the US due to drink/driving incidents
Azwipe20/06/2020 01:07

The silent majority are getting bored with this victim culture, the …The silent majority are getting bored with this victim culture, the immigrants who came here in the 60's & 70's to work hard didn't complain all the time and they had plenty to complain about, the immigrant latino community in the US don't complain and they are the ones that do all the hard menial jobs. People talk about white privilege but the truth is whether you are white, black, brown or any other colour you are privileged to be be born rich in relative terms compared to the rest of the world.

The 'silent' majority were vocal enough to 'Get Brexit Done' & then vote in Boris & Co. by smashing the opposition party in 2019. No marches or protests required (except from the noble statue protectors). Their work is done....
Post a comment
@
    Text