EXPIRED

NIKON 55-200mm AFS DX VR

Well, after biting the bullet on a d40 yesterday, I'm looking for a lens with a little more zoom and I'm on a tight budget so the 55-200 VR looks like the go. Has anyone seen any decent deals? The best I can find is about £150 from a UK based ebay seller.

Thanks,
K.

11 Comments

Original Poster

I am also considering the Nikon 70-300 VR.

Boy, I can see that this photography malarkey is going to be expensive, especially with my acute upgrade-itis!

You might like to wait a little - the price of the 55-200 VR will fall soon - down to $200 in US already.

The 70-300 VR is too heavy for the D40 - consider the very cheap and robust (& much lighter and smaller) older 70-300 - available through Amazon marketplace sellers and others for much less than £80 delivered. (Price varies).

Forget that - Sorry - I forgot the D40 not compatible with this older lens.

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, unfortunately the old gear driven lenses don't work with the d40.

I'll do my best to hold off if I can't get the price down to about £100.

Kahunaxxx

Well, after biting the bullet on a d40 yesterday, I'm looking for a lens … Well, after biting the bullet on a d40 yesterday, I'm looking for a lens with a little more zoom and I'm on a tight budget so the 55-200 VR looks like the go. Has anyone seen any decent deals? The best I can find is about £150 from a UK based ebay seller.Thanks,K.

It is 134.99 (with free shipping) at tekmo.co.uktekmo.co.uk/ind…353

torbena

It is 134.99 (with free shipping) at tekmo.co.uk … It is 134.99 (with free shipping) at tekmo.co.uk http://www.tekmo.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=353

I would avoid tekmo (and ebay). Read their conditions carefully and note that they have recently been temporarily suspended by their internet service provider.

There are a number of companies that source overseas - the small price differential is just not worthwhile.

Enjoy your camera for a while before you decide what to buy next - if you are really bitten by the bug the 18-200 VR iis unmatched - worth saving up for!

Original Poster

I would love the 18-200 VR, but it is hard to justify £500 on a lens when the camera & lens only cost £260. I will keep on using it and see how I go. I have already taken a few hundred photos!

Thanks again for the input guys.
K.

Original Poster

Cameraworld.co.uk have it for £139.99 + £7.99 delivery.

Original Poster

Bertt

The 70-300 VR is too heavy for the D40

Bertt, may I ask what you mean by "too heavy". Is it just that it would look/feel unbalanced?

Thanks,
K.

Be carefull when looking for the 55-200 VR - the Temco and Camerworld lens' are the older 55-200, not the VR lens the original poster is after. The cheapest I've seen this lens is a couple of uk ebay sellers - nothing cheaper than £150 unfortunately.

If anyone is interested in the non-VR lens, MicroGlobe have the 55-200 AF-S for £129. They have a shop in London not far from the British Museum. Mail order also but don't know what P&P is.

Bought myself one yesterday.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I am going to wait until my next holiday and see what the budget is like then before buying a big zoom. Just bought a 50mm f/1.8 which is going to keep me busy learning for a while as everything is manual. £27 on ebay, bargain!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Help choosing an Android box please.33
    2. whats a worthy sony x3 compact replacement?11
    3. What dog food do your feed your dog2333
    4. harley benton guitars11

See more discussions