Groups

Nikon D40 kit lens DAMAGED!!

Hi all...
    I got my Nikon D40 today, had a couple of drinks with the lads, played some COD4... and sometime during the game, the camera fell down!! I believe it moved off the table...

Now, the focus ring on the lens is stuck, and the image through the viewfinder is dark.
    Has anyone had this happen to their camera before?

The camera is insured for accidental damage... but I did let a mate open up the lens to "see what's wrong"!! -I'm sober enough to know that was very silly. If I report the damage, will they know the lens was opened?

I've broken lots of new stuff before, but this IS the fastest ever!!

Is this worth getting a new lens?
    Can the lens be fixed?
    Has anyone had a similar experience??

I'm really sorry for having my 1st post be of this nature.... but I'm just confused/angry.
    Any input appreciated.
    Thanks.

17 Comments

When you say the lens was opened, what exactly was done to it and what state is it in now?

You've mentioned the viewfinder is black, is it still that way when the lens is removed? If so what state is the mirror in, you should be able to see it clearly with the lens removed - it should be sitting at a 45 degree angle pointing light up.

John

Are you sure its the lens which is making the viewfinder dark, it could be the mirror has been displaced, unsure about the lens being opened and them not spotting it, sounds like a bit of a mess you got there.

omg sacred! u dropped a new camera! uh oh

Original Poster

thanks for ur response....

He only removed the screws on the side mounted to the camera. was a lot of hassle replacing them [the screws] so I dunno if something got loose inside.
    Looking through the viewfinder without the lens, everything's massively blurry -but not dark. Is that how it's supposed to be? Didn't get a chance to do that before it fell!!
    I know, Kippy... kinda reminds me of when I dropped my sister's bday cake as a kid..

Y open it if it's insured?
    just sort it under the insurance, keep ur fingers X'ed and hope for the best.

you must have reciept giv it bk:?

axhole;3226131

thanks for ur response....He only removed the screws on the side mounted … thanks for ur response....He only removed the screws on the side mounted to the camera. was a lot of hassle replacing them [the screws] so I dunno if something got loose inside. Looking through the viewfinder without the lens, everything's massively blurry -but not dark. Is that how it's supposed to be? Didn't get a chance to do that before it fell!!I know, Kippy... kinda reminds me of when I dropped my sister's bday cake as a kid..

The lens sounds like you might be ok in terms of insurance, I had visions of the lens lying apart in pieces across a table or something. If you pick up the lens and look through it can you see a clear tunnel of light or is it black? It may be when the lens dropped the aperture blades have closed which is why you couldn't see anything through the camera.

It sounds like your mirror is ok in the camera because if you look through it with no lens you won't be able to make out anything, it will just look like a blur. I'd put the body cap back on and try taking a picture as this should let you check the camera, if you hear the shutter/mirror snap up and down then copy the picture off the camera (which will be solid black) you may be ok. You could also go to a shop and see if they have any demo lenses they'd let you pop on the camera to test.

If you're definitely sure the camera is ok and it's just the lens then it's your call really on what to do. Depending on your insurance terms and excess it may be better for you to pick up a second hand kit lens to replace your one rather than pay an excess and have to claim which may put the insurance up.

John

Original Poster

Is it a good idea to replace the kit lens with ANOTHER 18-55mm lens, knowing that I'll still upgrade in the future?
    Apparently, I'm new to DSLR photography... so that might be considered a silly question. :P

That's really up to you of course, I was unsure whether to suggest that or not given you had only just bought the camera. Personally I think it's a good idea to replace it with a lens you want rather than one that came with the camera especially as the Nikon kit lenses aren't great. You really need to make sure the camera is ok first though.

John

Difficult call. Wouldn't want to invest in a new lens unless you are sure the body is ok. sensors etc. could be dislodged. Maybe see if you can borrow one, or take your body into Jessops on the pretence of wanting to try a secondhand lens! The 18-55 is one the cheapest Nikon lenses. Maybe you could get one secondhand at Jessops or in the forums. If not, then consider the 18-70. Better quality but around 100 quid+ secondhand.

Sounds to me like whoever delivered has dropped it at some point enroute :whistling:

harlzter;3226856

Sounds to me like whoever delivered has dropped it at some point enroute … Sounds to me like whoever delivered has dropped it at some point enroute :whistling:

Suppose you could say that but it may get someone sacked.

Aside from being dishonest I doubt it would work anyway as the camera must have been signed for already.

John

krunchynutt;3229070

Suppose you could say that but it may get someone sacked.

Very doubtful someone would be sacked, its surprising how many people the goods are handled by between factory and end user.

Johnmcl7;3229127

Aside from being dishonest I doubt it would work anyway as the camera … Aside from being dishonest I doubt it would work anyway as the camera must have been signed for already.John

Whats it matter if its been signed for? The damage is possibly the sort associated with shock rather than physical impact, ive had things arrived faulty due to shock damage rather than impact and the packaging is all good and unmarked. Think of shock damage on a par with whiplash where the damage is internal rather than collision, ie its not the impact but rather than the inertia suddenly being reversed.

I think you've have a hard time proving that a piece of equipment that's obviously had a physical impact would be suffering from 'shock damage'. While the internal lens elements can be damaged by a shock impact and the exterior casing ok that's not the case here, a stuck focus ring is a give away for a physical impact.

Either way, none of that really matters - defrauding the courier is not an option that should be considered.

John

Original Poster

It'd have been very difficult for me to blame a postal company... as I picked the camera instore!!

And the camera wasn't damaged in the fall.

Anyways, I went to the store [Currys], asked to see the manager, and told him my lens was broken. He fiddled with it for a while, asked me why there were fingerprints all over, kept me waiting for about 45mins and... VIOLA -gave me a new lens!!

Considering I'm a teenager -and how careless we're said to be- I expected him to, at least, ask me if I dropped it.
    I'm definitely making my next major purchase from Currys.

thanks...

axhole;3229700

It'd have been very difficult for me to blame a postal company... as I … It'd have been very difficult for me to blame a postal company... as I picked the camera instore!! :DAnd the camera wasn't damaged in the fall.Anyways, I went to the store [Currys], asked to see the manager, and told him my lens was broken. He fiddled with it for a while, asked me why there were fingerprints all over, kept me waiting for about 45mins and... VIOLA -gave me a new lens!!Considering I'm a teenager -and how careless we're said to be- I expected him to, at least, ask me if I dropped it.I'm definitely making my next major purchase from Currys.thanks...

Well good on you for taking it back. I guess even he couldn't comprehend you could have bust it in a few hours! If it had been a few days or more I think you would have been stuck with it.

I wouldn't count on it in future, DSG group are notoriously difficult to deal with on returns. Just your lucky day I think.

Incidentally, teenagers are careless and you have proved it so us oldies are right! (...and we were teenagers once so we know!)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?1633
      2. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial1220
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764435
      4. Anyone else used www.completesavings.co.uk11

See more discussions