Groups
    EXPIRED

Nikon D40 quest!

I have finally decided to go for this camera as my first DSLR. As the camera is relatively new, prices are quite tight at the moment. The standard price everywhere is £389-£400 quid.

So far the best price I have been able to find is £369.99 DELIVERED from ]jessops using code SALE20.

Any help on this quest would be aprecciated. :thumbsup:

Best,
    Cristobal

15 Comments

Original Poster

Hi sootyvrs, thanks for your help. I am defently going for the D40 it's exactly what I need in terms of size, and simplicity. It's a newer tech than the D50 so I think is better.

I managed to find another option, even though is a bit more expensive it includes 3 years warranty for £379. Not sure if this includes shipping...

calumetphoto.co.uk/ite…tml

Also on the search for a highspeed SD card for my camera so far best option (SANDISK ULTRA II 2GIG) found in play:

play.com/Ele…tml

you better check they are still giving away the warranty....

Stop Press!
    Purchase the Nikon D40 from Calumet before December 31st

Original Poster

sonypc100

you better check they are still giving away the warranty....Stop … you better check they are still giving away the warranty....Stop Press!Purchase the Nikon D40 from Calumet before December 31st

Good point!, I will give a quick call to make sure, but it seems to add ok to the shopping cart,,, :?

I found another option a bit more risky but cheaper EBaY (£340 DELIVERED ):

EDITED (can't put the link but you can do a search... )

I have asked the seller and his told me they come from Hong Kong but have exactly the same specs as the one sold in the UK and is brand new and sealed...

mmmm... tempting :w00t:

I am looking for the same camera. I went in to jessops todfay to buy it but they were having trouble with an angry customer and i didnt really want my son to witness the arguement. Im glad i didnt buy on impulse in the shop and came home to check prices.
    I would be wary of buying on ebay from Hong Kong. My sister in law lost her N93 Nokia camera phone to a scammer 2 weeks ago and is now in a major fight to get any help at all to try do something about it. I used to love ebay and now im just scared of it.

Good luck with the search and if you find any deals could you please give me a shout.

Cheers Lisa

£335.99 here

Nikon D40

onestop-digital.com/cat…388

Becareful it ships from HongKong.I`ve just noticed.

They trade on e-bay and have had 1 negative so I think they will be OK.

Original Poster

Hi Lisa, nice to know I am not alone on this one :thumbsup:

Regarding the ebay shop what I meant was that they got the cameras FROM hong-kong, but the cameras are already in the UK its clear on the product display. have another look:

EDITED (can't put the link but you can do a search... )

I wouldn't even consider buying something from directly hong-kong ...

Considering the good reviews he has and the fact that they would be sending the stuff by UPS it seems safe to me. I have had quite good experience with ebay actually... But you can only really trust Powerseller, and people with loads of good reviews for big buys like this... (Ebay It's great for small shopping.)

Overall I know it's better to buy from a shop, but it's tempting to safe 30quid that could be used to get the other bits...

I am not going to risk it just yet, he seems to have 19 in stock I will see how it evolves during the next week...

Best,
    Cris

Edited: typos

Hi,

You are not alone in your quest thats for sure. I am now just a little bit confused as i have been told to reconsider the Canon 350 which i had earlier decided against by my uncle who is a photographer. Any views on the two from anyone welcomed. I did look into buying from the seller on ebay, are you sure they are in the Uk? The link is not taking me to a page i can see from. The reason i ask is on there website it mentions possible duty and vat to pay if the item is pulled up on arrival in to the country. That would take it to the Uk price obviously.

I do agree Ebay can be a fantastic way to buy and sell its just i have had the bad experiences lately with hijacked accounts that appeared to have high positive feedback but it wasnt the actual person using the account. The person who had hijacked it did a hit on run and several high value items and so far we have had not much help from ebay, paypal or the police both locally for us and where the item was sent. To be honest it looks like we have to accept we have been done and we wont dee the item or money again. It therefore makes me cautious even when people have good feedback.

Im more confused than ever, lol.

What are the chances of getting money off if you go in to the store and ask for discounts? Also what are the chances of this camera coming down in price in the near future?

cheers Lisa

Original Poster

Hi Lisa,

I have updated my link in my previous post, and I am certain it says nothing about Import Duty, as I told you this cameras are already in the UK and his got 18 left. If its a scam this ebay product will disappear very soon...

Regarding the canon I had the same internal debate but with the 400D which is the newer version of the canon. The guy from calumet told me one thing that is very true, The lens that comes with the D40 is much better that the cheap one that comes with the Canon. The lens that comes with the nikon costs around £150 alone. Also D40 has a very friendly interface as well, great if it's your first DSLR.

An last but not least the price is £100 less and the quality is just as good. If you are still not sure have a look at this comparison:

dpreview.com/rev…asp

Tell me if your see any big difference between this photos...

Best,
    Cris

I

Sorry Guy/Gals, but ebay links are not allowed on HUKD.
    Can you edit your posts and remove the links please.

Hi,

I think i will stick with the Nikon D40 and im going to stop umming and arrring and just bite the bullet and order one. My newest problem is i want it now, lol.

Original Poster

dinosteveus

Sorry Guy/Gals, but ebay links are not allowed on HUKD.Can you edit your … Sorry Guy/Gals, but ebay links are not allowed on HUKD.Can you edit your posts and remove the links please.

Sorry I didn't know... I have edited the links, good luck Lisa with your camera let me know how it goes...

Thanks, i will let you know how i get on. Good luck and let me know how you get on also.

cheers Lisa

dromi

Sorry I didn't know... I have edited the links

No probs.
    Thanks for editing your posts :thumbsup:

dromi

good luck Lisa with your camera let me know how it goes...

Yes, good luck :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tooth extraction77
      2. Decent Mp3 Player?33
      3. Box Nation44
      4. iPhone x66

See more discussions