Nintendo announces New 2DS XL handheld

Found 28th Apr 2017
Was this mentioned at Nintendo Direct? It's the first I've even heard of it.

Nintendo have announced the New 2DS XL handheld consoles to be released on July 28th.

http://images.eurogamer.net/2017/articles/1/8/9/7/6/3/7/149336075535.jpg/EG11/resize/600x-1/quality/80/format/jpg

In a surprise announcement, Nintendo has this morning unveiled the New 2DS XL.

It's another handheld in the 3DS family, and the second 2DS variant - meaning it has no stereoscopic 3D option.

Two colour options will be available when it launches on 28th July - "Black + Turquoise" and "White + Orange".

The original 2DS, launched in October 2013.
Nintendo recently dated three major 3DS games for release on 28th July - and now we know why. 2DS XL will launch on the same day as side-scrolling Pikmin spin-off Hey! Pikmin, Mii character RPG Miitopia and the long-awaited Dr Kawashima's Devilish Brain Training: Can you stay focused?

The company has previously pledged to keep supporting 3DS through this year, despite the launch of Nintendo Switch. The 2DS XL certainly fills this function - and is a vast step-up in aesthetic from the simple "doorstep" design of the original 2DS.

As you'd expect, the New 2DS XL also includes New 3DS XL features such as the secondary C-pad nub, integrated amiibo support and faster processing power.

[Source: Eurogamer]
Community Updates
MiscNintendoNintendo 2DS
41 Comments
That's cute but how much is it and does it come with a mains charger
Excellent news The 2ds is so much better, it just needed a bigger screen.

My son says it'll cost £3
price is $149 US, so i'd guess £129
so am i thinking right when i assume this is a 2ds that folds in half that is also not 3d like the old 2ds ?
and if this is a fold up 2ds then isnt it a 3ds xl with the 3d slider turned down ?
Edited by: "lollypoplee" 28th Apr 2017
Looks very slick, hope they'll be a trade in deal somewhere for the original 2DS.
lollypoplee

so am i thinking right when i assume this is a 2ds that folds in half … so am i thinking right when i assume this is a 2ds that folds in half that is also not 3d like the old 2ds ?and if this is a fold up 2ds then isnt it a 3ds xl with the 3d slider turned down ?

Yup pretty much.
mtc1

price is $149 US, so i'd guess £129

If price is $149 chances are it will be £150 for us.
So glad I paid full price for the New 3DS XL Majora's Mask edition that has had no triple A games made for it and only 1 game that has had a full retail release. What a joke this is, I use to love Nintendo but it has slowly turned to resentment because of how they fist the early adopters everytime. I wanted a Switch but so far its just been a re-release and port machine maybe in a couple of years when there is a new Mario Kart and Metroid game I may bite.
Is it going to be compatible with the 'New' only software? you'd have though they'd have shown it in the video running Xenoblade or something..
Well it's not hideous and unfoldable like the last so it's got that going for it
Japan only dragon Quest Slime edition

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/export/sites/nintendo_topics/images/article_img/00000623_01.jpg
https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/export/sites/nintendo_topics/images/article_img/00000623_04.jpghttps://topics.nintendo.co.jp/export/sites/nintendo_topics/images/article_img/00000623_02.jpg

g8spur

If price is $149 chances are it will be £150 for us.

No chance, that's only £20 less than the 3DS XL. It will be £129 or less without a game.
mtc1

No chance, that's only £20 less than the 3DS XL. It will be £129 or less w … No chance, that's only £20 less than the 3DS XL. It will be £129 or less without a game.

This is Nintendo we're talking about; $150 = £150 they have form.
deleted265520
If only it released at £99
RustInPeace2112

So glad I paid full price for the New 3DS XL Majora's Mask edition that … So glad I paid full price for the New 3DS XL Majora's Mask edition that has had no triple A games made for it and only 1 game that has had a full retail release. What a joke this is, I use to love Nintendo but it has slowly turned to resentment because of how they fist the early adopters everytime. I wanted a Switch but so far its just been a re-release and port machine maybe in a couple of years when there is a new Mario Kart and Metroid game I may bite.

I have to agree with you whole heartedly.

I do like the look of this new 2ds though.
Krooner

This is Nintendo we're talking about; $150 = £150 they have form.

US price 3DSXL - $199 , 2DSXL $149 = 25% less

UK price 3DSXL £169 - 25% = £127

Edited by: "mtc1" 28th Apr 2017
Is the screen any bigger than the 3ds xl?
I like the old one its for kids to Chuck about this one clearly isn't, they've just finally got round to doing a New DS version of the 2DS that's all but I don't think a hinge is a good idea the point of the first was that it was fisher price like.
Error440

I like the old one its for kids to Chuck about this one clearly isn't, … I like the old one its for kids to Chuck about this one clearly isn't, they've just finally got round to doing a New DS version of the 2DS that's all but I don't think a hinge is a good idea the point of the first was that it was fisher price like.

I think it's more to do with the majority of 3DS users actually turning off the feature. Maybe an attempt to get any of those users who haven't taken the plunge, because they feel like they're paying for features they're not going to use, to jump in?
Edited by: "Krooner" 28th Apr 2017
Westwoodo

I have to agree with you whole heartedly.I do like the look of this new … I have to agree with you whole heartedly.I do like the look of this new 2ds though.

Oh yeah classic Nintendo, it looks great and does the same job for a cheaper price! I guess the 3ds/2ds family is here to stay for another couple of years.
If this wasn't region locked then I'd consider flogging my XL and getting the slime edition but alas Nintendo won't try and satisfy their fans.
anything about faceplates?
both look pretty bad as is (orange one really bad)
there is an obvious frame section but doesn't seem to have a way to get it off unless magnetic?

slime one looks pretty cute!
Edited by: "brilly" 28th Apr 2017
Hmm! Did not have a 3ds and want to play those games, butttt i might buy the Switch when they increase internal memory in the next phase release....:{ life is full of tough choices!
Edited by: "groenleader" 28th Apr 2017
Krooner

I think it's more to do with the majority of 3DS users actually turning … I think it's more to do with the majority of 3DS users actually turning off the feature. Maybe an attempt to get any of those users who haven't taken the plunge, because they feel like they're paying for features they're not going to use, to jump in?

But this one is considerably more money then the 2DS which was a massive success for them
deleted265520
Error440

I like the old one its for kids to Chuck about this one clearly isn't, … I like the old one its for kids to Chuck about this one clearly isn't, they've just finally got round to doing a New DS version of the 2DS that's all but I don't think a hinge is a good idea the point of the first was that it was fisher price like.

The original 2DS was intended for children.

This one isn't. It's pretty much their last push at getting new customers or those who own an original 3DS/XL to upgrade to the new range.

I'd be interested if the battery life was good and under 129 RRP.

If you want a young child friendly one then the 2DS is everywhere for 75 brand new or under 50 second hand.
Error440

My son says it'll cost £3

​I do hope he's right. Would buy 2 at that price
So Nintendo's way of justifying more support on the 3ds family? They don't understand that we want Switch games, they should be pumping out games for the switch...
Error440

deleted57959

I never owned a 3DS nor played any of the games (my kids did) so I might … I never owned a 3DS nor played any of the games (my kids did) so I might get one to play through the back catalogue.

Rid1

So Nintendo's way of justifying more support on the 3ds family? They … So Nintendo's way of justifying more support on the 3ds family? They don't understand that we want Switch games, they should be pumping out games for the switch...

They're targeting the older users. The kids with the 2DS will stick with the 2DS, parents aren't buying a "new" machine so they can play the 3 "New only" titles and have SNES Virtual Console. It's for core gamers who want to save themselves the £20/£30 by not having 3D.

Do it, it's a fantastic machine. Great library.

Software support is ending next year, the majority of the core dev teams are on Switch titles. First party 3DS titles have all been farmed out. This is (In Japan at least) a 'Dragon Quest XI'/Next Monster Hunter machine.

Edited by: "Krooner" 28th Apr 2017
Just to add to this GAME have put up a preorder price of £132.99 for it.
As an owner of the New 3DS XL there's no real reason to get this is there?
Marcoos

As an owner of the New 3DS XL there's no real reason to get this is there?

Nah yours should be fine. I have the original 3DS XL so I was thinking of maybe upgrading that because I also have the New 3DS (small white one). I don't like the size of the small one at all even though it has some advantages like it fits in my pocket better on the go. The speed is a lot better than the original so considering trading mine in to get this. Not sure what to do so will think about it and see what happens
CoolDude0123

Nah yours should be fine. I have the original 3DS XL so I was thinking of … Nah yours should be fine. I have the original 3DS XL so I was thinking of maybe upgrading that because I also have the New 3DS (small white one). I don't like the size of the small one at all even though it has some advantages like it fits in my pocket better on the go. The speed is a lot better than the original so considering trading mine in to get this. Not sure what to do so will think about it and see what happens

Cheers boss

I think if I had the older model I might consider this then. But not with the new one, for starters the data transfer is a bit of a ball ache. Good old Ninty!
would this be good upgrade from 2ds non flip verdsion
deleted265520
Managed get to a near mint New Nintendo 3DS XL in pearl white for £100 delivered
Also, running 11.2 firmware so here comes A9LH and Luma
Edited by: "deleted265520" 3rd May 2017
dtovey89

Managed get to a near mint New Nintendo 3DS XL in pearl white for £100 … Managed get to a near mint New Nintendo 3DS XL in pearl white for £100 deliveredAlso, running 11.2 firmware so here comes A9LH and Luma

Where did you grab it from? Don't update to 11.4 when you get CFW, it breaks more than it fixes.
Reggie and his reasoning for this:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/05/reggie_explains_the_reasoning_behind_the_new_2ds_xl

Seems the fans wanted it and they listened! oO

More like selective hearing...
Edited by: "Marcoos" 3rd May 2017
deleted265520
Rid1

Where did you grab it from? Don't update to 11.4 when you get CFW, it … Where did you grab it from? Don't update to 11.4 when you get CFW, it breaks more than it fixes.

Yeah will leave on 11.2
eBay purchase
Edited by: "deleted265520" 3rd May 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions