Groups

Nintendo Confirms Switch Save Data Can't Be Transferred

kotaku.com/nin…788

So if your Switch breaks, there's no way to get your saves off it. Nice work Ninty

31 Comments

Clearly not good news in itself, but it does at least seem to me like the sort of thing that's easily added via a firmware update.

wasn't it the same with the wii u?

I love Nintendo, but they seem to be shooting themselves in the foot with lots of little things like this.

This new console looks poo. Wii with psp.

paully

I love Nintendo, but they seem to be shooting themselves in the foot with … I love Nintendo, but they seem to be shooting themselves in the foot with lots of little things like this.

Got to agree, they used to be innovators now they seem late to the party that they have started. Look at the friends code and paying for online membership.

Do we really need a new thread for every update? woudlnt one of the many other Switch/NX threads do? or even the Nintendo owners thread?

Regardless though, This is something that really needs sorting out? why can't saves be placed on the SD card? and Nintendo need to allow game sharing over 2 consoles like Sony & Microsoft do for Digital Titles.

It concerns me becasue they seem to be ignoring this is also a home console and as such families may have more than one console.

paully

I love Nintendo, but they seem to be shooting themselves in the foot … I love Nintendo, but they seem to be shooting themselves in the foot with lots of little things like this.

Westwoodo

Got to agree, they used to be innovators now they seem late to the party … Got to agree, they used to be innovators now they seem late to the party that they have started. Look at the friends code and paying for online membership.

...and the catalogue of titles...

The Legend of Zelda (Ad Infinitum version)
    Pokémon (Battle Tournament Training Gym Ball Bonus edition)
    Mario (Kart, Super, & all associated supporting characters)
    Donkey Kong
    Kirby
    Metroid
    Super Smash Bros
    Sonic
    Yawn Yawn Yawn

The trouble is that if they do not enter the current & next video game generation they are written-off as irrelevant, but if they do continue they are constantly criticised for lacking the vision they once had.

Somebody needs to take a long look at their future & make a decision that will bring them into this millennium!

At present, they just make Microsoft & Sony's offerings look better.

Original Poster

haritori

Do we really need a new thread for every update? woudlnt one of the many … Do we really need a new thread for every update? woudlnt one of the many other Switch/NX threads do? or even the Nintendo owners thread?Regardless though, This is something that really needs sorting out? why can't saves be placed on the SD card? and Nintendo need to allow game sharing over 2 consoles like Sony & Microsoft do for Digital Titles.It concerns me becasue they seem to be ignoring this is also a home console and as such families may have more than one console.

Unfortunately mega threads are useless about specific subjects.

Do we need to know every time cd keys has assassin creed for cheap?

But yeah, the more time that passes the more I'm glad I cancelled that pre order!

Roll on Mario however

Also don't put any of the skins you can buy to put on them if that's what you like to do even the Nintendo ones. It's been said the sticky surface corrodes the surface of the switch after only a few hours. Some of the biggest skins companies said before they were going to make a mint on the switch only to refund everybody after testing them on 10 different machines.

Original Poster

larrylightweight

Also don't put any of the skins you can buy to put on them if that's what … Also don't put any of the skins you can buy to put on them if that's what you like to do even the Nintendo ones. It's been said the sticky surface corrodes the surface of the switch after only a few hours. Some of the biggest skins companies said before they were going to make a mint on the switch only to refund everybody after testing them on 10 different machines.

Yeah DBrand went on to reddit to say don't buy them, they refunded all their customers too! Great thing to do for such a big company!

google.co.uk/amp…ch/

benjammin316

Yeah DBrand went on to reddit to say don't buy them, they refunded all … Yeah DBrand went on to reddit to say don't buy them, they refunded all their customers too! Great thing to do for such a big company! https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5xc5si/warning_do_not_skin_your_nintendo_switch/

That's it fair play to them they could of milked it and put a disclaimer in for using skins but they did the honest thing and refunded every one.

It's not stupid to try and protect your brand new console from save game exploits If you agree to preventing piracy on the Switch then you need back up Nintendo on this.

Original Poster

kester76

It's not stupid to try and protect your brand new console from save game … It's not stupid to try and protect your brand new console from save game exploits If you agree to preventing piracy on the Switch then you need back up Nintendo on this.

Cloud saves, but no.

benjammin316

Cloud saves, but no.

Even Cloud storage is open to abuse given enough motivation

Original Poster

kester76

Even Cloud storage is open to abuse given enough motivation

There's no reason in 2017 for saves to be tied to a console fam. It's ridiculous.

benjammin316

There's no reason in 2017 for saves to be tied to a console fam. It's … There's no reason in 2017 for saves to be tied to a console fam. It's ridiculous.

Not if people have been using these exploits to hack consoles for the well over a decade.

Its insanely stupid to not have this feature. Microsoft and Sony manage to not have their consoles hacked from Day 1 by letting you copy saves. I am fuming as i have asked for a replacement for my switch as its too noisy and i have sunk 25+ hours on zelda which by sounds of it will have to be restarted. Its completely retarded. Am backing Nintendo with their new console and going against the whole "value for money" argument but this has completely annoyed me.

Lol

Banned

Cloud saves will come with the paid for online service

Dhiraj1

Its insanely stupid to not have this feature. Microsoft and Sony manage … Its insanely stupid to not have this feature. Microsoft and Sony manage to not have their consoles hacked from Day 1 by letting you copy saves. I am fuming as i have asked for a replacement for my switch as its too noisy and i have sunk 25+ hours on zelda which by sounds of it will have to be restarted. Its completely retarded. Am backing Nintendo with their new console and going against the whole "value for money" argument but this has completely annoyed me.

I'd be **** about this too nobody knows when a console is going to give up sinking loads of hours into games and then not been able to transfer saves would not make someone buy a replacement they would think what's the point. Nintendo while I love them is its own downfall with decisions like this

Just put in hours and hours into Zelda and Fast RMS, not remembering you cant transfer saves. My one week love affair with Nintendo seems to be ending. My replacement will be turning into a refund.

Original Poster

imranio

Just put in hours and hours into Zelda and Fast RMS, not remembering you … Just put in hours and hours into Zelda and Fast RMS, not remembering you cant transfer saves. My one week love affair with Nintendo seems to be ending. My replacement will be turning into a refund.

Crazy huh, I mean, even a memory card would suffice. PS1 had those, Dreamcast had those. Madness!

Banned

Wasn't getting one day one because of the awful prices. But now my intent to get one near the end of the year is also put on hold. No way I am going to put in hours for numerous games and then lose all of that progress if I'm victim to the Switch hardware muckup lottery, all because I can't transfer saves to a replacement unit. Now, I'm going to wait for the revision / fix SKU. Great job, Nintendo.

Banned

kester76

It's not stupid to try and protect your brand new console from save game … It's not stupid to try and protect your brand new console from save game exploits If you agree to preventing piracy on the Switch then you need back up Nintendo on this.

XBO and PS4 allow this and there's no piracy present.

LOL - What was the name of the guy in charge at xbox when the XB1 launched?? is he now at Nintendo?

To be honest this would put me off buying one completely... nothing worse in the video gaming world than losing a save... in this day and age, transferring saves, backing up onto the cloud etc - should be basic and standard.

neilanderton1

XBO and PS4 allow this and there's no piracy present.

​Nintendo are more paranoid about this and the Switch is a hard sell to developers. If you think that the wii/u and ds/dsi/2ds and 3ds all got hacked you can understand why they've heavily restricted external access.
    Once the support base is there they will probably correct this and allow some encrypted savegame method but it's early days. How many of these switch consoles have been taken apart and reversed engineered to see how they work already, it's just a matter of time until someone finds a way of breaking into the hardware.

Piracy will always be there even if you lock the save game thing down. This is so irritating. All systems have and will be hacked, the easy and only way to solve this is by firware updates. Carts can also be used to hack systems, its all about exploits.

The fact that Zelda saved game files cant be moved makes the system redundant for me.

Dhiraj1

Its insanely stupid to not have this feature. Microsoft and Sony manage … Its insanely stupid to not have this feature. Microsoft and Sony manage to not have their consoles hacked from Day 1 by letting you copy saves. I am fuming as i have asked for a replacement for my switch as its too noisy and i have sunk 25+ hours on zelda which by sounds of it will have to be restarted. Its completely retarded. Am backing Nintendo with their new console and going against the whole "value for money" argument but this has completely annoyed me.

Yeah I'm sure that makes up for all the hacks of their online services and theft of customer details

They should at least allow "cloud saves", xbox have been doing that for 10 years!

imranio

Piracy will always be there even if you lock the save game thing down. … Piracy will always be there even if you lock the save game thing down. This is so irritating. All systems have and will be hacked, the easy and only way to solve this is by firware updates. Carts can also be used to hack systems, its all about exploits.The fact that Zelda saved game files cant be moved makes the system redundant for me.

Why ? It only really effects console swappers and the odd defective machine and the chances are they will implement it later on once the console is established.

It seems to me the actual software side of the switch is currently in development, all of these features will come soon enough..
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764220
      2. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1625
      3. What do these 2 men have in common1219
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?31140

See more discussions